File corruption - Network

This is a discussion on File corruption - Network ; I was transferring a directory from my desktop to my laptop. The transfer was aborted because my daughter shutdown my desktop during transfer. I then started up my desktop and decided to zip the directory to a file before transfer ...

  1. File corruption

    I was transferring a directory from my desktop to my laptop. The transfer
    was aborted because my daughter shutdown my desktop during transfer. I then
    started up my desktop and decided to zip the directory to a file before
    transfer thinking it would be faster. I transferred the resulting file
    (~300mb) to my laptop and to my surprise got CRC errors (i.e. WinZip's CRC
    errors, not hard drive CRC errors) when I tried to unzip it. The file
    checked out fine on my desktop. I then transferred it again - still CRC
    errors. I then transferred the directory and ran a file compare between
    source and destination and found that aprox 1 in 10 files were mismatched.
    The file transfer went without reporting an error yet source and destination
    did not match?

    I then brought my laptop and directly connected it to my network switch and
    did the transfer - no problems! I have Norton anti-virus on both machines as
    well as Norton Firewall - latest with auto-updating running. I ran "Live
    Update" to make sure that I have the latest virus definition file and then
    ran a full scan for viruses on both machines - no problems detected. I am
    upset because if I didn't do the zipping of the directory I would never have
    known that I have a problem - one would expect that if you transfer a file
    and receive no error that the copy would be successful. Since the problem
    only occurs when I transfer wirelessly makes me suspect that it is not with
    the operating system.

    My hardware / software goes something like this

    Desktop / Windows XP pro
    Laptop / Sony Vaio/ Windows 2000 pro
    Netgear RT314 router
    DLink DWL-1000AP access point
    DLink DWL-810 Ethernet bridge
    DLink DWL-650 cardbus wireless adapter

    The problem occurs whether I use the DWL-810 or DWL-650.

    Should I replace the DLink hardware with another manufacturers? Or does the
    problem lie elseware.

    Thanks,
    Marty

  2. Re: File corruption

    In article , "Martin Burger" wrote:
    >I was transferring a directory from my desktop to my laptop. The transfer
    >was aborted because my daughter shutdown my desktop during transfer. I then
    >started up my desktop and decided to zip the directory to a file before
    >transfer thinking it would be faster. I transferred the resulting file
    >(~300mb) to my laptop and to my surprise got CRC errors (i.e. WinZip's CRC
    >errors, not hard drive CRC errors) when I tried to unzip it. The file
    >checked out fine on my desktop. I then transferred it again - still CRC
    >errors. I then transferred the directory and ran a file compare between
    >source and destination and found that aprox 1 in 10 files were mismatched.
    >The file transfer went without reporting an error yet source and destination
    >did not match?
    >
    >I then brought my laptop and directly connected it to my network switch and
    >did the transfer - no problems! I have Norton anti-virus on both machines as
    >well as Norton Firewall - latest with auto-updating running. I ran "Live
    >Update" to make sure that I have the latest virus definition file and then
    >ran a full scan for viruses on both machines - no problems detected. I am
    >upset because if I didn't do the zipping of the directory I would never have
    >known that I have a problem - one would expect that if you transfer a file
    >and receive no error that the copy would be successful. Since the problem
    >only occurs when I transfer wirelessly makes me suspect that it is not with
    >the operating system.
    >
    >My hardware / software goes something like this
    >
    >Desktop / Windows XP pro
    >Laptop / Sony Vaio/ Windows 2000 pro
    >Netgear RT314 router
    >DLink DWL-1000AP access point
    >DLink DWL-810 Ethernet bridge
    >DLink DWL-650 cardbus wireless adapter
    >
    >The problem occurs whether I use the DWL-810 or DWL-650.
    >
    >Should I replace the DLink hardware with another manufacturers? Or does the
    >problem lie elseware.
    >
    >Thanks,
    >Marty

    You say transfer, am I safe in thinking you are actually mapping a drive vs
    ftp?

    I would delete the .zip on both machines, remake it (just in case) on the
    desktop, and try again. You might also give thought to running Norton Disk
    Doctor (NDD) on the laptop just to be sure the HD is good.

  3. Re: File corruption

    By transfer I mean via explorer (explorer.exe not iexplorer.exe). I accessed
    my desktop via drilling down from "My Network Places". I opened up the zip
    file on my desktop with WinZip and "tested" the archive and no errors were
    detected. Problem occured even when I transfered the entire directory
    unzipped. There was no problem when I did the EXACT operations while laptop
    was hardwired to my network hub (switch) which would rule out hard disk
    issues. Only difference was using the wireless lan v.s. wired lan.

    I am at a loss as to why the transfer via wireless would produce no errors
    to the user (me) while in reality there was a problem. I guess I will have
    to be paronoid from now on and zip all files before transfer, transfer, test
    transfered zip file, then unzip.

    Maybe this is a sign for me to upgrade from 802.11b to 802.11g with a
    different manufacturer.

    Marty

    Burger" wrote:
    > >I was transferring a directory from my desktop to my laptop. The transfer
    > >was aborted because my daughter shutdown my desktop during transfer. I

    then
    > >started up my desktop and decided to zip the directory to a file before
    > >transfer thinking it would be faster. I transferred the resulting file
    > >(~300mb) to my laptop and to my surprise got CRC errors (i.e. WinZip's

    CRC
    > >errors, not hard drive CRC errors) when I tried to unzip it. The file
    > >checked out fine on my desktop. I then transferred it again - still CRC
    > >errors. I then transferred the directory and ran a file compare between
    > >source and destination and found that aprox 1 in 10 files were

    mismatched.
    > >The file transfer went without reporting an error yet source and

    destination
    > >did not match?
    > >
    > >I then brought my laptop and directly connected it to my network switch

    and
    > >did the transfer - no problems! I have Norton anti-virus on both machines

    as
    > >well as Norton Firewall - latest with auto-updating running. I ran "Live
    > >Update" to make sure that I have the latest virus definition file and

    then
    > >ran a full scan for viruses on both machines - no problems detected. I am
    > >upset because if I didn't do the zipping of the directory I would never

    have
    > >known that I have a problem - one would expect that if you transfer a

    file
    > >and receive no error that the copy would be successful. Since the

    problem
    > >only occurs when I transfer wirelessly makes me suspect that it is not

    with
    > >the operating system.
    > >
    > >My hardware / software goes something like this
    > >
    > >Desktop / Windows XP pro
    > >Laptop / Sony Vaio/ Windows 2000 pro
    > >Netgear RT314 router
    > >DLink DWL-1000AP access point
    > >DLink DWL-810 Ethernet bridge
    > >DLink DWL-650 cardbus wireless adapter
    > >
    > >The problem occurs whether I use the DWL-810 or DWL-650.
    > >
    > >Should I replace the DLink hardware with another manufacturers? Or does

    the
    > >problem lie elseware.
    > >
    > >Thanks,
    > >Marty
    > >

    > You say transfer, am I safe in thinking you are actually mapping a drive

    vs
    > ftp?
    >
    > I would delete the .zip on both machines, remake it (just in case) on the
    > desktop, and try again. You might also give thought to running Norton Disk
    > Doctor (NDD) on the laptop just to be sure the HD is good.

  4. Re: File corruption

    In article , "Martin Burger" wrote:
    >By transfer I mean via explorer (explorer.exe not iexplorer.exe). I accessed
    >my desktop via drilling down from "My Network Places". I opened up the zip
    >file on my desktop with WinZip and "tested" the archive and no errors were
    >detected. Problem occured even when I transfered the entire directory
    >unzipped. There was no problem when I did the EXACT operations while laptop
    >was hardwired to my network hub (switch) which would rule out hard disk
    >issues. Only difference was using the wireless lan v.s. wired lan.
    >
    >I am at a loss as to why the transfer via wireless would produce no errors
    >to the user (me) while in reality there was a problem. I guess I will have
    >to be paronoid from now on and zip all files before transfer, transfer, test
    >transfered zip file, then unzip.
    >
    >Maybe this is a sign for me to upgrade from 802.11b to 802.11g with a
    >different manufacturer.

    I'd be inclined at this point to just say bad luck. How long (time wise)
    did the transfer take at 1 megabit? I wonder if your better half turned on
    the microwave or such while it was going on...

    >Marty
    >
    >"Rico" wrote in message
    >> In article , "Martin

    >Burger" wrote:
    >> >I was transferring a directory from my desktop to my laptop. The transfer
    >> >was aborted because my daughter shutdown my desktop during transfer. I

    >then
    >> >started up my desktop and decided to zip the directory to a file before
    >> >transfer thinking it would be faster. I transferred the resulting file
    >> >(~300mb) to my laptop and to my surprise got CRC errors (i.e. WinZip's

    >CRC
    >> >errors, not hard drive CRC errors) when I tried to unzip it. The file
    >> >checked out fine on my desktop. I then transferred it again - still CRC
    >> >errors. I then transferred the directory and ran a file compare between
    >> >source and destination and found that aprox 1 in 10 files were

    >mismatched.
    >> >The file transfer went without reporting an error yet source and

    >destination
    >> >did not match?
    >> >
    >> >I then brought my laptop and directly connected it to my network switch

    >and
    >> >did the transfer - no problems! I have Norton anti-virus on both machines

    >as
    >> >well as Norton Firewall - latest with auto-updating running. I ran "Live
    >> >Update" to make sure that I have the latest virus definition file and

    >then
    >> >ran a full scan for viruses on both machines - no problems detected. I am
    >> >upset because if I didn't do the zipping of the directory I would never

    >have
    >> >known that I have a problem - one would expect that if you transfer a

    >file
    >> >and receive no error that the copy would be successful. Since the

    >problem
    >> >only occurs when I transfer wirelessly makes me suspect that it is not

    >with
    >> >the operating system.
    >> >
    >> >My hardware / software goes something like this
    >> >
    >> >Desktop / Windows XP pro
    >> >Laptop / Sony Vaio/ Windows 2000 pro
    >> >Netgear RT314 router
    >> >DLink DWL-1000AP access point
    >> >DLink DWL-810 Ethernet bridge
    >> >DLink DWL-650 cardbus wireless adapter
    >> >
    >> >The problem occurs whether I use the DWL-810 or DWL-650.
    >> >
    >> >Should I replace the DLink hardware with another manufacturers? Or does

    >the
    >> >problem lie elseware.
    >> >
    >> >Thanks,
    >> >Marty
    >> >

    >> You say transfer, am I safe in thinking you are actually mapping a drive

    >vs
    >> ftp?
    >>
    >> I would delete the .zip on both machines, remake it (just in case) on the
    >> desktop, and try again. You might also give thought to running Norton Disk
    >> Doctor (NDD) on the laptop just to be sure the HD is good.

  5. Re: File corruption

    Rico, "bad luck"? Bad luck means failure (you know with dialog box popping
    up etc) not with reproducible (from the point of view of bad data) no dialog
    boxes or indication that there was a problem, same file sizes. If I do a
    file compare, the destination file would be missing a glob of data and some
    distance later in the file would be a glob of "UUUU..UU" stuck in. As though
    a packet got corrupted and the system decides to dump in a string of "Us".
    It is strange that the "Us" are not in the place of where the missing data
    is, but at some place further down in the file.

    Using a computer should not be a game of chance the operating system and
    drivers (baring viruses) should inform the user if there is a failure.
    Unless, of course, there is a bug along the chain, that is what I am
    searching for.

    As far as microwave is concerned, in my case it is my cordless phone - STAY
    AWAY from 2.4ghz phones - it kils my connection EVERY time. I have switched
    over to 900mhz phones except for two Panasonic which has talking called id
    (real neat to have the phone announce who is calling). I try to tell my
    family not to use the phone, it is there just for the announcement function,
    but as I said a GUARENTEED connection killer.

    Marty

    Burger" wrote:
    > >By transfer I mean via explorer (explorer.exe not iexplorer.exe). I

    accessed
    > >my desktop via drilling down from "My Network Places". I opened up the

    zip
    > >file on my desktop with WinZip and "tested" the archive and no errors

    were
    > >detected. Problem occured even when I transfered the entire directory
    > >unzipped. There was no problem when I did the EXACT operations while

    laptop
    > >was hardwired to my network hub (switch) which would rule out hard disk
    > >issues. Only difference was using the wireless lan v.s. wired lan.
    > >
    > >I am at a loss as to why the transfer via wireless would produce no

    errors
    > >to the user (me) while in reality there was a problem. I guess I will

    have
    > >to be paronoid from now on and zip all files before transfer, transfer,

    test
    > >transfered zip file, then unzip.
    > >
    > >Maybe this is a sign for me to upgrade from 802.11b to 802.11g with a
    > >different manufacturer.

    > I'd be inclined at this point to just say bad luck. How long (time wise)
    > did the transfer take at 1 megabit? I wonder if your better half turned on
    > the microwave or such while it was going on...

  6. Re: File corruption

    In article , "Martin Burger" wrote:
    >Rico, "bad luck"? Bad luck means failure (you know with dialog box popping
    >up etc) not with reproducible (from the point of view of bad data) no dialog
    >boxes or indication that there was a problem, same file sizes. If I do a
    >file compare, the destination file would be missing a glob of data and some
    >distance later in the file would be a glob of "UUUU..UU" stuck in. As though
    >a packet got corrupted and the system decides to dump in a string of "Us".
    >It is strange that the "Us" are not in the place of where the missing data
    >is, but at some place further down in the file.
    >
    >Using a computer should not be a game of chance the operating system and
    >drivers (baring viruses) should inform the user if there is a failure.
    >Unless, of course, there is a bug along the chain, that is what I am
    >searching for.
    >
    >As far as microwave is concerned, in my case it is my cordless phone - STAY
    >AWAY from 2.4ghz phones - it kils my connection EVERY time. I have switched
    >over to 900mhz phones except for two Panasonic which has talking called id
    >(real neat to have the phone announce who is calling). I try to tell my
    >family not to use the phone, it is there just for the announcement function,
    >but as I said a GUARENTEED connection killer.
    >
    >Marty

    Bad luck is the only explaination for it. TCP/IP is based on a conversation
    taking place between a client and a server. Each set of packets is checked
    on the recieving end and ACKnowledged with a return packet. If there was a
    failure then a request for a resend is sent, if at some point a packet is
    never acknowledged that packet to is resent. Your TCP/IP stack on the
    client then arranges and assembles the packets and you have your data.
    TCP/IP says the data cannot have lost packets. It is not the wireless layer
    that can cause that problem. Either there is a connection or there is
    not... . The data corruption 'has' to be taking place at some other
    level of the transmission.

    >"Rico" wrote in message
    >> In article , "Martin

    >Burger" wrote:
    >> >By transfer I mean via explorer (explorer.exe not iexplorer.exe). I

    >accessed
    >> >my desktop via drilling down from "My Network Places". I opened up the

    >zip
    >> >file on my desktop with WinZip and "tested" the archive and no errors

    >were
    >> >detected. Problem occured even when I transfered the entire directory
    >> >unzipped. There was no problem when I did the EXACT operations while

    >laptop
    >> >was hardwired to my network hub (switch) which would rule out hard disk
    >> >issues. Only difference was using the wireless lan v.s. wired lan.
    >> >
    >> >I am at a loss as to why the transfer via wireless would produce no

    >errors
    >> >to the user (me) while in reality there was a problem. I guess I will

    >have
    >> >to be paronoid from now on and zip all files before transfer, transfer,

    >test
    >> >transfered zip file, then unzip.
    >> >
    >> >Maybe this is a sign for me to upgrade from 802.11b to 802.11g with a
    >> >different manufacturer.

    >> I'd be inclined at this point to just say bad luck. How long (time wise)
    >> did the transfer take at 1 megabit? I wonder if your better half turned on
    >> the microwave or such while it was going on...

+ Reply to Thread