Connect wireless router to wired router? - Network

This is a discussion on Connect wireless router to wired router? - Network ; Hi all, I am installing a network at home. I'll have my cable modem plugged into a wired router (probably a little SMC unit). I'll put a network card in my desktop PC that's sitting right there. I've run a ...

  1. Connect wireless router to wired router?

    Hi all,

    I am installing a network at home. I'll have my cable modem plugged
    into a wired router (probably a little SMC unit). I'll put a network
    card in my desktop PC that's sitting right there. I've run a Cat 5E
    cable to the middle of my house where I'd like to install a wireless
    access point. I'm not confident that I'll have speedy coverage
    everywhere if I keep the WAP in the far corner of my house.

    Here's my question: I have access to a Linksys wireless router. Can I
    use that as the access point and just disable the routing and other
    features that my wired router will be providing? Would I plug the Cat
    5 into one of the LAN ports on my wired router and into the WAN port
    on the wireless router? Any other tips or suggestions to make this
    work better?

    Thanks for any help you can give me. I've poked around the past
    postings and I think I can do this but I just wanted to ask one more
    time.

    Thanks again,
    Chris I.
    Clearwater, FL

  2. Re: Connect wireless router to wired router?

    "CSI" wrote in message
    news:4048fd71.0402181151.a666a9e@posting.google.co m...
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I am installing a network at home. I'll have my cable modem plugged
    > into a wired router (probably a little SMC unit). I'll put a network
    > card in my desktop PC that's sitting right there. I've run a Cat 5E
    > cable to the middle of my house where I'd like to install a wireless
    > access point. I'm not confident that I'll have speedy coverage
    > everywhere if I keep the WAP in the far corner of my house.
    >
    > Here's my question: I have access to a Linksys wireless router. Can I
    > use that as the access point and just disable the routing and other
    > features that my wired router will be providing? Would I plug the Cat
    > 5 into one of the LAN ports on my wired router and into the WAN port
    > on the wireless router? Any other tips or suggestions to make this
    > work better?
    >
    > Thanks for any help you can give me. I've poked around the past
    > postings and I think I can do this but I just wanted to ask one more
    > time.
    >
    > Thanks again,
    > Chris I.
    > Clearwater, FL

    Sounds good so far. Not sure if you will need to disable anything on the
    wireless router. Just plug everything in and see if any problems develop.
    If they do, post back for possible solutions.

    Jerry P.

  3. Re: Connect wireless router to wired router?

    I have a setup like this at home with two routers. The key is disabling
    DHCP on the wireless access point, if you have two DHCP servers it will
    prove problematic as it did for me. You run a cable from the uplink port on
    the wireless access point to any normal port on the wired router. It should
    all work well after that.

    Ken

+ Reply to Thread