Need advice: To create the OOP model of this project - Network

This is a discussion on Need advice: To create the OOP model of this project - Network ; Hi all, Any and all help would be appreciated. My assignment is to design and develop a simulation model of a "bi-directional multitransmitter communication system" using VC++. I know C++ and am learning VC++ (for the GUI). But need some ...

  1. Need advice: To create the OOP model of this project

    Hi all,

    Any and all help would be appreciated. My assignment is to design and
    develop a simulation model of a "bi-directional multitransmitter
    communication system" using VC++. I know C++ and am learning VC++ (for
    the GUI). But need some starting point to lay the OO model of the
    entire system.

    Project details:

    Many "units"/components of a machine need to transfer serial data
    between each other on a serial connector. Only 1 unit can "talk" at a
    time. And the next unit can talk after that. No controller unit is
    required as all units are timed such that 1 talks only after another
    specific talker has finished.

    The "user" of this simulation program can control:
    1) To which units , a given unit can transfer data.
    2) From which units, a given unit can receive data.
    3) Transmission speed setting. etc.

    What are the classes that i might have to create?

    Thanks in advance,
    Swaroop.

  2. Re: Need advice: To create the OOP model of this project

    The Seeker wrote:

    > What are the classes that i might have to create?

    Oh, come on, at least TRY! What "objects" do you perceive in the
    physical system? The whole point of Object Oriented programming
    is that the programming objects map to the "real world" objects.

    --
    |_ CJSonnack _____________| How's my programming? |
    |_ http://www.Sonnack.com/ ___________________| Call: 1-800-DEV-NULL |

  3. Re: Need advice: To create the OOP model of this project

    In article ,
    The Seeker wrote:
    >Project details:
    >
    >Many "units"/components of a machine need to transfer serial data
    >between each other on a serial connector. Only 1 unit can "talk" at a
    >time. And the next unit can talk after that. No controller unit is
    >required as all units are timed such that 1 talks only after another
    >specific talker has finished.

    >What are the classes that i might have to create?

    What are the nouns in your last paragraph? That's not a bad start.

    Part of the reason that assignments involve actual work is that
    programming is one of those things you best learn by doing, making
    mistakes, and then learning from them. And trust, me, there's plenty
    of room to make informative mistakes in the project you describe. :-)

    -Mike
    --
    http://www.mschaef.com

  4. Re: Need advice: To create the OOP model of this project

    The Seeker wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > Any and all help would be appreciated. My assignment is to design and
    > develop a simulation model of a "bi-directional multitransmitter
    > communication system" using VC++. I know C++ and am learning VC++ (for
    > the GUI). But need some starting point to lay the OO model of the
    > entire system.
    >
    > Project details:
    >
    > Many "units"/components of a machine need to transfer serial data
    > between each other on a serial connector. Only 1 unit can "talk" at a
    > time. And the next unit can talk after that. No controller unit is
    > required as all units are timed such that 1 talks only after another
    > specific talker has finished.
    >
    > The "user" of this simulation program can control:
    > 1) To which units , a given unit can transfer data.
    > 2) From which units, a given unit can receive data.
    > 3) Transmission speed setting. etc.
    >
    > What are the classes that i might have to create?
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    > Swaroop.

    Yeah, I'll do your homework for you, for free, just like that. Scroll
    down for the answer...

    keep going

    keep going

    keep going

    Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha! Gotcha!

  5. Re: Need advice: To create the OOP model of this project

    > Yeah, I'll do your homework for you, for free, just like that. Scroll
    > down for the answer...
    >...hhaha gotcha!

    Thanks for the humour Ok, i wasnt exactly asking for an outright
    answer(although it did look like it did)...was just seeing if somebody
    would drop a few ideas i could pick up....anyway, the GOOD news * *
    is that i was able to do the preliminary analysis and design for the
    problem, and am well on the way to getting the coding done.

    thanks for the support tho !

  6. Re: Need advice: To create the OOP model of this project

    Checkout the following link:

    http://www.eventhelix.com/RealtimeMa...atternCatalog/

    The sections titled "Hardware Interface Design Patterns" and
    "Protocol Design Patterns" should be helpful.

    Sandeep
    --
    http://www.EventHelix.com/EventStudio
    EventStudio 2.0 - Protocol Design CASE Tool

  7. Re: Need advice: To create the OOP model of this project

    Sandeep, thanks for the links. The interface design pages are being
    very helpful. we got some useful snippets. Thanks

    Is it possible to stall all current processes on a machine(including
    the 32 bit OS), and execute a terminal application in pure DOS mode?
    From what i browsed, i learned that stalling all processes is
    possible, but does it allow the terminal application complete access
    to the processor? This is crucial for our timer application used to
    set accurate periods (mu-s) for transmission.
    Else we'd have to choose the costlier method of using another
    networked PC running pure dos/unix to do the timing calcs.

+ Reply to Thread