Win 98 backup/restore over a LAN - Network

This is a discussion on Win 98 backup/restore over a LAN - Network ; I have a laptop a friend gave me that is running Win98. He bought it new so it has preinstalled software - Meaning I do not have the means to reinstall the stuff. I gotta change the HHD so I ...

  1. Win 98 backup/restore over a LAN

    I have a laptop a friend gave me that is running Win98. He bought it
    new so it has preinstalled software - Meaning I do not have the means
    to reinstall the stuff. I gotta change the HHD so I need a way to
    back it all up. I can back it up over the attached LAN just fine
    using the Windows backup software.

    When I get ready to restore I really need to boot from the floppies,
    connect with the LAN and restore the HDD. Has anyone tried this??? I
    can reinstall the OS, if necessary, but that seems like a lot of
    trouble for nothing.

    Thanks,
    Eddie

  2. Re: Win 98 backup/restore over a LAN

    On 15 Feb 2004 09:26:19 -0800, radioman@swvaol.com (Eddie Fowlkes)
    wrote:

    >When I get ready to restore I really need to boot from the floppies,
    >connect with the LAN and restore the HDD. Has anyone tried this??? I
    >can reinstall the OS, if necessary, but that seems like a lot of
    >trouble for nothing.

    I do this using Norton's Ghost. There is no need to install the OS on
    the formatted/partitioned new drive.

    Gotta go...
    Butterfield

  3. Re: Win 98 backup/restore over a LAN

    On 15 Feb 2004 09:26:19 -0800, radioman@swvaol.com (Eddie Fowlkes) wrote:

    >I have a laptop a friend gave me that is running Win98. He bought it
    >new so it has preinstalled software - Meaning I do not have the means
    >to reinstall the stuff. I gotta change the HHD so I need a way to
    >back it all up. I can back it up over the attached LAN just fine
    >using the Windows backup software.
    >
    >When I get ready to restore I really need to boot from the floppies,
    >connect with the LAN and restore the HDD. Has anyone tried this??? I
    >can reinstall the OS, if necessary, but that seems like a lot of
    >trouble for nothing.

    Sideways thinking: Get a couple of 2.5" to 3.5" IDE adapters and install
    both your old and new 2.5" HDDs in your desktop computer. Use any disk
    imaging software to clone your old HDD to the new one.

    This should be much faster than backing up your laptop over the LAN, and
    you won't have to reinstall Win98.

    --
    Robert B. Clark (email ROT13'ed)
    Visit ClarkWehyr Enterprises On-Line at http://www.3clarks.com/ClarkWehyr/