router/networking/NEED HELP!!!! Please - Network

This is a discussion on router/networking/NEED HELP!!!! Please - Network ; Here is my problem....... I have cable internet service, which I have plugged into a router. From the router I have one desktop hardwired and one laptop wireless. I just bought another laptop, but it has a built in wireless ...

  1. router/networking/NEED HELP!!!! Please

    Here is my problem.......

    I have cable internet service, which I have plugged into a router.
    From the router I have one desktop hardwired and one laptop wireless.
    I just bought another laptop, but it has a built in wireless
    capability (so I didn't have to buy the card like with my other
    laptop). My problem is that the new computer recognizes the router,
    but I can't access the inter net or anything and unlike my other
    wireless laptop, it doesn't automatically recognize the connection to
    the router.

    I don't know too much about computers, so if someone could help, I
    would greatly appreciate it!

  2. Re: router/networking/NEED HELP!!!! Please

    johnkaputnik@yahoo.com (Kaputnik) wrote in
    news:19811f95.0402150758.2f40d475@posting.google.c om:

    > Here is my problem.......
    >
    > I have cable internet service, which I have plugged into a router.
    > From the router I have one desktop hardwired and one laptop wireless.
    > I just bought another laptop, but it has a built in wireless
    > capability (so I didn't have to buy the card like with my other
    > laptop). My problem is that the new computer recognizes the router,
    > but I can't access the inter net or anything and unlike my other
    > wireless laptop, it doesn't automatically recognize the connection to
    > the router.
    >
    > I don't know too much about computers, so if someone could help, I
    > would greatly appreciate it!

    Was the laptop used?
    It might have an address hard wired into it.
    Did someone setup the other laptop for you?
    They might have enable some sort of key or encryption.
    There are three main types of wireless networks A, B, and G.
    What is your router running?
    B and G are compatable, A is not.

  3. Re: router/networking/NEED HELP!!!! Please

    Remember to change the ESSID in your wireless hardware configuration
    Also dubble check in the configuration of the router (dhcp = ip range)
    if you havent used up all ip addresses

    also check the tcp/ip settings of your wireless connection to make
    sure dhcp is enabled and the ip addresse is configured automatically..
    :-) Also check your internet browser if any connections are default.

    johnkaputnik@yahoo.com (Kaputnik) wrote in message news:<19811f95.0402150758.2f40d475@posting.google.com>...
    > Here is my problem.......
    >
    > I have cable internet service, which I have plugged into a router.
    > From the router I have one desktop hardwired and one laptop wireless.
    > I just bought another laptop, but it has a built in wireless
    > capability (so I didn't have to buy the card like with my other
    > laptop). My problem is that the new computer recognizes the router,
    > but I can't access the inter net or anything and unlike my other
    > wireless laptop, it doesn't automatically recognize the connection to
    > the router.
    >
    > I don't know too much about computers, so if someone could help, I
    > would greatly appreciate it!

+ Reply to Thread