My university LAN connection to my laptop dies after the first initial
few minutes. If I want to go online for five more minutes, I have to
restart my computer. I don't like this.

Even though my browser and my e-mail can't connect after the first
minutes, a download in progress somehow stays connected. This goes for
AIM too. I am sure it's my computer that's at fault. I've swapped
cables with my roommate and, while my line works perfectly for him, I
still suffer the same problems with his line.

I've scanned for viruses and other nasties; I'm clean. I don't know
what could possibly be causing this. I haven't done any suspicious
things recently that I know of that would make this happen.

I have Windows XP Home on an Inspiron 1100. Much thanks for help.