Scrabble Help - Network

This is a discussion on Scrabble Help - Network ; I have a linksys router. I would like my wife to be able to host a scrabble game on her laptop. I know I can set the ports up to forward to here laptop Ip address, but what wopuld the ...

  1. Scrabble Help

    I have a linksys router. I would like my wife to be able to host a
    scrabble game on her laptop. I know I can set the ports up to forward
    to here laptop Ip address, but what wopuld the IP address that the
    other person who wants to connect have to put in thier IP address to
    connect to my wifes laptop?

  2. Re: Scrabble Help

    [posted and mailed]

    Paul Tutle Sr. - OCC wrote in

    > I have a linksys router. I would like my wife to be able to host a
    > scrabble game on her laptop. I know I can set the ports up to forward
    > to here laptop Ip address, but what wopuld the IP address that the
    > other person who wants to connect have to put in thier IP address to
    > connect to my wifes laptop?

    Fist you will need to find out your wifes laptop address
    win98 Start -> run -> winipcfg
    winnt/2k/XP Start -> run -> cmd -> ipconfig

    Probably 192.168.1.100 or 101 or something like that.

    You will have to log into the router to allow forwarding of the port to her
    address.

    Once that is all setup, she can go to:

    http://www.ipchicken.com/

    probably 65.27.167.223 or something like that

    She will tell her friend to connect to the address 65.27.167.223 (or
    whatever ipchicken showed you) and the router will redirect the connection
    to her laptop.

    If this does not work, please post:
    What operating system does her laptop run?
    What router (make/model) do you have?

  3. Re: Scrabble Help

    Its running windowsXP and I have a linksys wirless router.

    Thanks

    On Tue, 17 Feb 2004 09:22:40 GMT, Flixis
    wrote:

    >[posted and mailed]
    >
    >Paul Tutle Sr. - OCC wrote in
    >
    >> I have a linksys router. I would like my wife to be able to host a
    >> scrabble game on her laptop. I know I can set the ports up to forward
    >> to here laptop Ip address, but what wopuld the IP address that the
    >> other person who wants to connect have to put in thier IP address to
    >> connect to my wifes laptop?

    >Fist you will need to find out your wifes laptop address
    >win98 Start -> run -> winipcfg
    >winnt/2k/XP Start -> run -> cmd -> ipconfig
    >
    >Probably 192.168.1.100 or 101 or something like that.
    >
    >You will have to log into the router to allow forwarding of the port to her
    >address.
    >
    >Once that is all setup, she can go to:
    >
    >http://www.ipchicken.com/
    >
    >probably 65.27.167.223 or something like that
    >
    >She will tell her friend to connect to the address 65.27.167.223 (or
    >whatever ipchicken showed you) and the router will redirect the connection
    >to her laptop.
    >
    >If this does not work, please post:
    >What operating system does her laptop run?
    >What router (make/model) do you have?

  4. Re: Scrabble Help

    The first thing I di was give the latop a static IP address. The I
    went into the router setup and foward a a port to laptop static IP I
    created. Then I went to ipchicken and got the IP address shown there.
    When I tried to host a game in scrabble the it did not work. I put
    the address in just like it asked and the connact button would never
    un-gray to click on. I'm back to square one.

    Does it make a difference what port number you use?

    wrote:

    >[posted and mailed]
    >
    >Paul Tutle Sr. - OCC wrote in
    >
    >> I have a linksys router. I would like my wife to be able to host a
    >> scrabble game on her laptop. I know I can set the ports up to forward
    >> to here laptop Ip address, but what wopuld the IP address that the
    >> other person who wants to connect have to put in thier IP address to
    >> connect to my wifes laptop?

    >Fist you will need to find out your wifes laptop address
    >win98 Start -> run -> winipcfg
    >winnt/2k/XP Start -> run -> cmd -> ipconfig
    >
    >Probably 192.168.1.100 or 101 or something like that.
    >
    >You will have to log into the router to allow forwarding of the port to her
    >address.
    >
    >Once that is all setup, she can go to:
    >
    >http://www.ipchicken.com/
    >
    >probably 65.27.167.223 or something like that
    >
    >She will tell her friend to connect to the address 65.27.167.223 (or
    >whatever ipchicken showed you) and the router will redirect the connection
    >to her laptop.
    >
    >If this does not work, please post:
    >What operating system does her laptop run?
    >What router (make/model) do you have?

  5. Re: Scrabble Help

    [posted and mailed]

    Paul Tutle Sr. - OCC wrote in

    > The first thing I di was give the latop a static IP address. The I
    > went into the router setup and foward a a port to laptop static IP I
    > created. Then I went to ipchicken and got the IP address shown there.
    > When I tried to host a game in scrabble the it did not work. I put
    > the address in just like it asked and the connact button would never
    > un-gray to click on. I'm back to square one.
    >
    > Does it make a difference what port number you use?

    The correct port number (and protocol) makes all the difference in the world.
    If she wanted to run a web server, it would be TCP/80.
    A mail server would be TCP/25 and TCP/110.
    A PCAnywhere Host would be TCP/5631 and UDP/5632.
    I have looked on the web for the port number that scabble would use and I
    came up empty. It might be in the documentation (I doubt it) or you will
    have to call the manufacturer.

+ Reply to Thread