Need suggestions for network switch - Network

This is a discussion on Need suggestions for network switch - Network ; A client of mine has an 8 computer network. He currently has two Netgear 10/100 hubs and a mix of 10 and 100Mbit NICs (various brands). They regularly move large files to and from the server, which can bog everyone ...

  1. Need suggestions for network switch

    A client of mine has an 8 computer network. He currently has two Netgear
    10/100 hubs and a mix of 10 and 100Mbit NICs (various brands). They
    regularly move large files to and from the server, which can bog everyone
    else down. I'm looking for a network switch to recommend with the following
    features:

    1. Rock solid reliability.
    2. Basic manageability: I'd like to get port statistics (errors,
    performance, etc.), so I can tell if he has a bad NIC or wire in the
    network.
    3. Under $500 cost.
    4. Optional: A single Gigabit Ethernet port for the server. Probably not
    necessary, but would be nice.

    I've listed a few of the products I'm looking at below. Does anyone have
    comments on them? Do they have the managability I'm looking for? Are they
    very reliable? If I want something that is going to be super stable, should
    I just forget about a managed switch at this price point? Any other options
    to consider?

    D-Link DES-3226 $380
    http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=86

    SMC 6724L2 $316
    http://www.smc.com/index.cfm?action=...Code=SMC6724L2

    Netgear FS526T $280
    http://www.netgear.com/products/prod...odID=216&view=

    Thanks,

    Tod

  2. Re: Need suggestions for network switch

    Tod DeBie wrote:

    > A client of mine has an 8 computer network. He currently has two Netgear
    > 10/100 hubs and a mix of 10 and 100Mbit NICs (various brands). They
    > regularly move large files to and from the server, which can bog everyone
    > else down. I'm looking for a network switch to recommend with the
    > following features:
    >
    > 1. Rock solid reliability.
    > 2. Basic manageability: I'd like to get port statistics (errors,
    > performance, etc.), so I can tell if he has a bad NIC or wire in the
    > network.
    > 3. Under $500 cost.
    > 4. Optional: A single Gigabit Ethernet port for the server. Probably not
    > necessary, but would be nice.
    >
    > I've listed a few of the products I'm looking at below. Does anyone have
    > comments on them? Do they have the managability I'm looking for? Are
    > they
    > very reliable? If I want something that is going to be super stable,
    > should
    > I just forget about a managed switch at this price point? Any other
    > options to consider?
    >
    > D-Link DES-3226 $380
    > http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=86
    >
    > SMC 6724L2 $316
    > http://www.smc.com

    index.cfm?action=products_show_datasheet&productCode=SMC6724L2

    > Netgear FS526T $280
    > http://www.netgear.com/products/prod...odID=216&view=
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Tod

    My Linksys 8 port switch works just fine for me.

    --
    God is a polytheist.

+ Reply to Thread