Re-engineering my WAN connectivity??? - Network

This is a discussion on Re-engineering my WAN connectivity??? - Network ; I have 7 geographic locations within a 65 mile radius of each other. I have a mix of 1.5 T1 and nothing lower than 768 DSL links to the internet. Having recently run a tracert and finding that packets are ...

  1. Re-engineering my WAN connectivity???

    I have 7 geographic locations within a 65 mile radius of each other. I
    have a mix of 1.5 T1 and nothing lower than 768 DSL links to the
    internet. Having recently run a tracert and finding that packets are
    finding their way in 1 hop the results were:

    Location 1: 7ms 18ms 17ms
    Location 2: 65ms 16ms 55ms
    Location 3: 25ms 20ms 13ms
    Location 4: 16ms 16ms 16ms
    Location 5: 23ms 19ms 20ms
    Location 6: 20ms 18ms 18ms

    I am questioning a thought I had of changing my topology to a hub
    spoke config using point-to-points to our main store that contains a
    sql server that is accessed frequently by the other 6 locations to
    help speed things up. I am also migrating my netowrk over to 2003
    Active directory and was hoping since my stores have fewer than 40
    users at each location I could get away with not having a DC at each
    location.

    We have CISCO 1600 or 1700 routers in most locations and are using
    Soniwall Pro's with Sonicwall's VPN to connect all locations. Would I
    benefit greatly by moving my T1 internet connections to a hub spoke
    configuration? The tracert speeds seem pretty fast to me (a novice).
    What other things should I consider in weighing this type of
    re-engineering (other than cost)?

    Thanks ahead of time.

    Bill Bird

  2. Re: Re-engineering my WAN connectivity???

    homework... are the answers in the back of the book?

    "bbird" wrote in message
    news:3ef93049.0402131240.b17ac79@posting.google.co m...
    > I have 7 geographic locations within a 65 mile radius of each other. I
    > have a mix of 1.5 T1 and nothing lower than 768 DSL links to the
    > internet. Having recently run a tracert and finding that packets are
    > finding their way in 1 hop the results were:
    >
    > Location 1: 7ms 18ms 17ms
    > Location 2: 65ms 16ms 55ms
    > Location 3: 25ms 20ms 13ms
    > Location 4: 16ms 16ms 16ms
    > Location 5: 23ms 19ms 20ms
    > Location 6: 20ms 18ms 18ms
    >
    > I am questioning a thought I had of changing my topology to a hub
    > spoke config using point-to-points to our main store that contains a
    > sql server that is accessed frequently by the other 6 locations to
    > help speed things up. I am also migrating my netowrk over to 2003
    > Active directory and was hoping since my stores have fewer than 40
    > users at each location I could get away with not having a DC at each
    > location.
    >
    > We have CISCO 1600 or 1700 routers in most locations and are using
    > Soniwall Pro's with Sonicwall's VPN to connect all locations. Would I
    > benefit greatly by moving my T1 internet connections to a hub spoke
    > configuration? The tracert speeds seem pretty fast to me (a novice).
    > What other things should I consider in weighing this type of
    > re-engineering (other than cost)?
    >
    > Thanks ahead of time.
    >
    > Bill Bird

+ Reply to Thread