Monitoring Network Traffic? - Network

This is a discussion on Monitoring Network Traffic? - Network ; I have 2 sites with multiple 2k servers over both sites. Both sites are connected to the Internet by ADSL using Cisco 837 Routers and secured using Cisco PIX 515E firewall. There is a permanent VPN is place to create ...

  1. Monitoring Network Traffic?

    I have 2 sites with multiple 2k servers over both sites. Both sites are
    connected to the Internet by ADSL using Cisco 837 Routers and secured using
    Cisco PIX 515E firewall. There is a permanent VPN is place to create a WAN.

    Is there any software (freeware or commercial) that will let me monitor
    traffic flow over the network? For example % useage on the ADSL, % useage
    on internal connections, what % useage each user accounts for etc.?

    Thanks

    Keith

  2. Re: Monitoring Network Traffic?

    "Keith" <@.> wrote in news:1cJWb.2305$h44.436596@stones.force9.net:

    > I have 2 sites with multiple 2k servers over both sites. Both sites
    > are connected to the Internet by ADSL using Cisco 837 Routers and
    > secured using Cisco PIX 515E firewall. There is a permanent VPN is
    > place to create a WAN.
    >
    > Is there any software (freeware or commercial) that will let me
    > monitor traffic flow over the network? For example % useage on the
    > ADSL, % useage on internal connections, what % useage each user
    > accounts for etc.?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Keith

    The most popular would be MRTG. It's free. I haven't installed it yet,
    so I can't help you there. Every company I've worked for uses it.

    http://people.ee.ethz.ch/~oetiker/webtools/mrtg/

  3. Re: Monitoring Network Traffic?

    MRTG is only for Routers.

    There are several i mean several things you can use.

    for network monitoring I LOVE what's up gold. I've used it for YEARS.

    When I worked at aol I used another software, I do forget the name how
    ever they just HIKED the price, I believe Mercury software or Mercury
    Interactive owns them now.

    But bottom line would be What's Up Gold. Does routers, Clients,
    printers, network graphing, reporting you name it.

  4. Re: Monitoring Network Traffic?

    SekureSupport@aol.com (Mauricio Fernandez MCSE, CCNA) wrote in message news:<90ebab91.0402192328.7a0214e8@posting.google.com>...
    > MRTG is only for Routers.
    >
    > There are several i mean several things you can use.
    >
    > for network monitoring I LOVE what's up gold. I've used it for YEARS.
    >
    > When I worked at aol I used another software, I do forget the name how
    > ever they just HIKED the price, I believe Mercury software or Mercury
    > Interactive owns them now.
    >
    > But bottom line would be What's Up Gold. Does routers, Clients,
    > printers, network graphing, reporting you name it.

    Mercury has a big ticket item called "Sitescope". You can download a
    personal version that will work for 6 months for free. Try "Big
    Brother". www.bb4.com I think. It is free for home use. Works great on
    a Linux box. Works with Windows too.

  5. Re: Monitoring Network Traffic?

    "Keith" <@.> wrote in message news:<1cJWb.2305$h44.436596@stones.force9.net>...
    > I have 2 sites with multiple 2k servers over both sites. Both sites are
    > connected to the Internet by ADSL using Cisco 837 Routers and secured using
    > Cisco PIX 515E firewall. There is a permanent VPN is place to create a WAN.
    >
    > Is there any software (freeware or commercial) that will let me monitor
    > traffic flow over the network? For example % useage on the ADSL, % useage
    > on internal connections, what % useage each user accounts for etc.?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Keith

    As the other guy said thier are many things you can try here are links
    to a few

    OpenNMS - http://www.opennms.org/>
    MRTG - http://people.ee.ethz.ch/~oetiker/webtools/mrtg/>
    NeDi - http://nedi.web.psi.ch/>
    Nagios - http://www.nagios.org/>
    Webmin - http://webmin.com/>
    Logwatch - http://www.logwatch.org/>
    SWATCH - http://swatch.sourceforge.net/>
    SEC - http://kodu.neti.ee/~risto/sec/>
    openMosix/openMosixview - http://openmosix.sourceforge.net/>
    Etherape - http://etherape.sourceforge.net/>

    I have used several I believe that you may need to use a combination
    to do everything that you want but I believe that these tools will do
    anything that you would need.

    Matt

+ Reply to Thread