two ethernet cards - Network

This is a discussion on two ethernet cards - Network ; I don't have much idea about network administration. My question may sound silly What will happen if 2 ethernet cards on the same segment have the same MAC address ? I'm told that during an ARP broadcast, both machine will ...

  1. two ethernet cards

    I don't have much idea about network administration. My question may
    sound silly
    What will happen if 2 ethernet cards on the same segment have the same
    MAC address ? I'm told that during an ARP broadcast, both machine will
    respond !! don't understand ?

  2. Re: two ethernet cards

    "ray" wrote in message
    > I don't have much idea about network administration. My question may
    > sound silly
    > What will happen if 2 ethernet cards on the same segment have the same
    > MAC address ? I'm told that during an ARP broadcast, both machine will
    > respond !! don't understand ?

    If that happens you're screwed. Send them back to the manufacturer. (They
    would indeed both try to respond.)

    John

  3. Re: two ethernet cards

    "ray" wrote in message
    > I don't have much idea about network administration. My question may
    > sound silly
    > What will happen if 2 ethernet cards on the same segment have the same
    > MAC address ? I'm told that during an ARP broadcast, both machine will
    > respond !! don't understand ?

    AFAIK MAC addresses are unique.

    Chris

+ Reply to Thread