Networking Macs - Network

This is a discussion on Networking Macs - Network ; I have to try to add a mac to my network in the near future. The network is a simple P2P network of 8 PCs running Windows 2000. They use TCP/IP as a protocol. There is also a modem/router giving ...

  1. Networking Macs

    I have to try to add a mac to my network in the near future. The
    network is a simple P2P network of 8 PCs running Windows 2000. They
    use TCP/IP as a protocol. There is also a modem/router giving access
    to the web. I have never networked macs before.

    I am in for difficulty?
    Can they run on the same network as Windows-PCs?
    Am I going to need a gateway?
    If I need a gateway, is it something I can make out of an old PC?

    Any ideas would be gratefully received.
    Cheers
    JNY

  2. Re: Networking Macs

    Hey,
    It shouldnt be too hard add that mac to your network, i know that for
    sure you are going to have to install Appletalk to each of your
    Windows machines to have then be able to talk to your Mac machine. I
    havent ever had to set up a mac on a network but i know that that is a
    good start. Im not too sure what you will have to do to the mac or if
    you even have to do anythign besides connecting it to your network try
    it and let me know how it goes.

    > I have to try to add a mac to my network in the near future. The
    > network is a simple P2P network of 8 PCs running Windows 2000. They
    > use TCP/IP as a protocol. There is also a modem/router giving access
    > to the web. I have never networked macs before.
    >
    > I am in for difficulty?
    > Can they run on the same network as Windows-PCs?
    > Am I going to need a gateway?
    > If I need a gateway, is it something I can make out of an old PC?
    >
    > Any ideas would be gratefully received.
    > Cheers
    > JNY

+ Reply to Thread