How can I wire Cat 5 Ethernet over 300 feet? - Network

This is a discussion on How can I wire Cat 5 Ethernet over 300 feet? - Network ; I have a client that is moving into a large warehouse and I have to connect 1 computer that is over 400 feet away from the main office. I also have to connect 4 RF scanner devices in the ceiling ...

  1. How can I wire Cat 5 Ethernet over 300 feet?

    I have a client that is moving into a large warehouse and I have to
    connect 1 computer that is over 400 feet away from the main office. I
    also have to connect 4 RF scanner devices in the ceiling around the
    warehouse. The problem here obviously is that all of these computers
    and devices are well over 300 feet from the central office with the
    switch. The computer and the RF devices all use RJ-45 ethernet
    connections. My first question: How can I connect the RF devices and
    computer back to the office? Can I use a repeater that can mount in
    the ceiling of a warehouse to boost the signal down the Cat 5 wire?
    How much are they and where can I buy them?

    My second question deals with Fiber. The previous tenant at this
    warehouse wired the remote office, where the computer is going, with a
    fiber. The problem is that when they moved out, they simply cut the
    ends off the fiber and removed their equipment. I don't know why they
    cut the ends off. There is still plenty of slack remaining up in the
    celing tiles. How hard is it to splice ends back onto fiber? How
    much does the equipment cost to do so.

    Any suggestions you guys have are greatly appreciated.

    Dave Tirado

  2. Re: How can I wire Cat 5 Ethernet over 300 feet?

    David Tirado wrote:

    > I have a client that is moving into a large warehouse and I have to
    > connect 1 computer that is over 400 feet away from the main office. I
    > also have to connect 4 RF scanner devices in the ceiling around the
    > warehouse. The problem here obviously is that all of these computers
    > and devices are well over 300 feet from the central office with the
    > switch. The computer and the RF devices all use RJ-45 ethernet
    > connections. My first question: How can I connect the RF devices and
    > computer back to the office? Can I use a repeater that can mount in
    > the ceiling of a warehouse to boost the signal down the Cat 5 wire?
    > How much are they and where can I buy them?
    >
    > My second question deals with Fiber. The previous tenant at this
    > warehouse wired the remote office, where the computer is going, with a
    > fiber. The problem is that when they moved out, they simply cut the
    > ends off the fiber and removed their equipment. I don't know why they
    > cut the ends off. There is still plenty of slack remaining up in the
    > celing tiles. How hard is it to splice ends back onto fiber? How
    > much does the equipment cost to do so.
    >
    > Any suggestions you guys have are greatly appreciated.
    >
    > Dave Tirado

    I can't answer the fiber question -- never worked with it.

    So far as the ethernet run, just add a switch (or hub) before you reach
    the limit of the run, then you have another 300 feet you can run from
    the switch.

  3. Re: How can I wire Cat 5 Ethernet over 300 feet?

    "Jerry Park" wrote in message
    > David Tirado wrote:
    >
    > >Can I use a repeater that can mount in
    > > the ceiling of a warehouse to boost the signal down the Cat 5 wire?

    The 100m limit has nothing to do with signal levels. It is related to
    timing and the ability to detect simultaneous attempts by two devices to
    transmit - an inherent characteristic of a CSMA-CD network.

    Chris

  4. Re: How can I wire Cat 5 Ethernet over 300 feet?

    On 6 Feb 2004 13:06:20 -0800, iwetodid@hotmail.com (David Tirado)
    wrote:

    >I have a client that is moving into a large warehouse and I have to
    >connect 1 computer that is over 400 feet away from the main office. I
    >also have to connect 4 RF scanner devices in the ceiling around the
    >warehouse. The problem here obviously is that all of these computers
    >and devices are well over 300 feet from the central office with the
    >switch. The computer and the RF devices all use RJ-45 ethernet
    >connections. My first question: How can I connect the RF devices and
    >computer back to the office? Can I use a repeater that can mount in
    >the ceiling of a warehouse to boost the signal down the Cat 5 wire?
    >How much are they and where can I buy them?
    >
    >My second question deals with Fiber. The previous tenant at this
    >warehouse wired the remote office, where the computer is going, with a
    >fiber. The problem is that when they moved out, they simply cut the
    >ends off the fiber and removed their equipment. I don't know why they
    >cut the ends off. There is still plenty of slack remaining up in the
    >celing tiles. How hard is it to splice ends back onto fiber? How
    >much does the equipment cost to do so.
    >
    >Any suggestions you guys have are greatly appreciated.
    >
    >Dave Tirado

    Fiber to RJ45 converter.

    Taff..............

    www.sounds-pa.com | www.thecomputerworkshop.com

  5. Re: How can I wire Cat 5 Ethernet over 300 feet?

    "Chris Watts" wrote in message

    > "Jerry Park" wrote in message
    > > David Tirado wrote:
    > >
    > > >Can I use a repeater that can mount in
    > > > the ceiling of a warehouse to boost the signal down the Cat 5 wire?

    > The 100m limit has nothing to do with signal levels. It is related to
    > timing and the ability to detect simultaneous attempts by two devices to
    > transmit - an inherent characteristic of a CSMA-CD network.
    >
    > Chris

    There are strict cable transmission requirements for the cable media itself
    mposed by TIA/EIA 568 and other standards bodies. These requirements are in
    place to insure the media is capable of maintaining signal integrity over
    the full 100m run. There are requirements for every key transmission
    parameter including attenuation, crosstalk (NEXT, FEXT, PS-NEXT, PS-FEXT),
    SRL, RL, etc. Exceeding the 100m run can exceed the ability of the cable to
    maintain signal integrity.

    It is common to put a repeater switch in place midway in a long UTP run to
    boost the signal and allow for transmission over distances greater than
    100m. If there is a fiber run already in place where you need it, you may
    consider re-using those cables. There is a level of skill needed to splice
    new connectors back onto the fiber cable. The first step would be to
    identify the type of fiber and use the appropriate connector. If you want to
    do that, you should contact a networking infrastructure company that can
    perform this task for you and also test the fiber to make sure it is in
    working order. Fiber is a good choice for long distances such as what you
    have here.

+ Reply to Thread