how can I connect a wireless access point to my router - Network

This is a discussion on how can I connect a wireless access point to my router - Network ; I have a D-Link DSL504 broadband router. Off this I have three hard wired networked PCs. Off the 4th port, I have a D-Link DWL-700AP access point which is to serve my laptop. How can I configure the system so ...

  1. how can I connect a wireless access point to my router

    I have a D-Link DSL504 broadband router. Off this I have three hard
    wired networked PCs. Off the 4th port, I have a D-Link DWL-700AP
    access point which is to serve my laptop.

    How can I configure the system so my laptop can access the router? The
    documentation specifies a URL of http://192.168.0.50 , but I am unable
    to find this.
    I have successfully configured the laptop to the access point, but
    that's as far as I've managed to get!

    I'm afraid my knowledge of networking is far from advanced, so any
    help would be very much appreciated!!

    Thanks....

  2. Re: how can I connect a wireless access point to my router

    Adam wrote:
    > I have a D-Link DSL504 broadband router. Off this I have three hard
    > wired networked PCs. Off the 4th port, I have a D-Link DWL-700AP
    > access point which is to serve my laptop.
    >
    > How can I configure the system so my laptop can access the router? The
    > documentation specifies a URL of http://192.168.0.50 , but I am unable
    > to find this.
    > I have successfully configured the laptop to the access point, but
    > that's as far as I've managed to get!
    >
    > I'm afraid my knowledge of networking is far from advanced, so any
    > help would be very much appreciated!!
    >
    > Thanks....

    You access the router through the access point exactly the same as you
    access the router through the wired ethernet ports.

  3. Re: how can I connect a wireless access point to my router

    Jerry Park wrote in message news:...
    > Adam wrote:
    > > I have a D-Link DSL504 broadband router. Off this I have three hard
    > > wired networked PCs. Off the 4th port, I have a D-Link DWL-700AP
    > > access point which is to serve my laptop.
    > >
    > > How can I configure the system so my laptop can access the router? The
    > > documentation specifies a URL of http://192.168.0.50 , but I am unable
    > > to find this.
    > > I have successfully configured the laptop to the access point, but
    > > that's as far as I've managed to get!
    > >
    > > I'm afraid my knowledge of networking is far from advanced, so any
    > > help would be very much appreciated!!
    > >
    > > Thanks....

    > You access the router through the access point exactly the same as you
    > access the router through the wired ethernet ports.

    I've tried to do this, but the only way I can see the access point is
    to connect the LAN direct to a PC. If I connect the access point to
    the router, it can't be accessed by any PC on the network?

  4. Re: how can I connect a wireless access point to my router

    Adam wrote:
    > Jerry Park wrote in message news:...
    >
    >>Adam wrote:
    >>
    >>>I have a D-Link DSL504 broadband router. Off this I have three hard
    >>>wired networked PCs. Off the 4th port, I have a D-Link DWL-700AP
    >>>access point which is to serve my laptop.
    >>>
    >>>How can I configure the system so my laptop can access the router? The
    >>>documentation specifies a URL of http://192.168.0.50 , but I am unable
    >>>to find this.
    >>>I have successfully configured the laptop to the access point, but
    >>>that's as far as I've managed to get!
    >>>
    >>>I'm afraid my knowledge of networking is far from advanced, so any
    >>>help would be very much appreciated!!
    >>>
    >>>Thanks....

    >>You access the router through the access point exactly the same as you
    >>access the router through the wired ethernet ports.

    > I've tried to do this, but the only way I can see the access point is
    > to connect the LAN direct to a PC. If I connect the access point to
    > the router, it can't be accessed by any PC on the network?

    I'm confused. You stated you wanted to access the router through the
    Access Point. Now you want to access the Access Point?

    Some AP's have a web based interface. Others don't.
    Did your AP come with SNMP software? That is generally how you connect
    to APs. Without SNMP software and absent a Web based interface,
    generally AP have a USB interface -- which does require direct
    connection to the PC.

+ Reply to Thread