Lose connection w/ USR8054 router after 24hrs (must reboot router) - Network

This is a discussion on Lose connection w/ USR8054 router after 24hrs (must reboot router) - Network ; Hi all, I recently bought the USR8054 wireless router (802.11g). PCs have WinXP with Dlink cards. Set it up and all is working fine. Next day, my PCs don't see the router anymore. Disabling WAN and re-enabling doesn't help. Rebooting ...

  1. Lose connection w/ USR8054 router after 24hrs (must reboot router)

    Hi all,

    I recently bought the USR8054 wireless router (802.11g).
    PCs have WinXP with Dlink cards. Set it up and all is
    working fine. Next day, my PCs don't see the router anymore.
    Disabling WAN and re-enabling doesn't help. Rebooting PC does
    not help. The only option is to reboot the router. Then the
    PCs immediately see the router again. The problem occurs again
    several hours later. And the same routine starts again.

    This is a MAJOR problem for me as the router is not physically
    accessible by all PC users.

    What could be the problem? Router is defective? Bad setup?

    P.S FWIW, Router is used for networking only. No internet.

    TIA.

  2. Re: Lose connection w/ USR8054 router after 24hrs (must reboot router)

    My USR8054 is rebooting itself at least once every 24 Hrs! This can be
    easily seen in de LOG file.
    I too have radio connections dropping !
    I sent already several mails to USR, I have received a new firware V1.21,
    which cannot be found on their site, the upgrade didn't help a thing !

    Sorry, no solution, just the same **** over here

  3. Re: Lose connection w/ USR8054 router after 24hrs (must reboot router)

    What is the DHCP lease time set to?

    Guy

    r. t. wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I recently bought the USR8054 wireless router (802.11g).
    > PCs have WinXP with Dlink cards. Set it up and all is
    > working fine. Next day, my PCs don't see the router anymore.
    > Disabling WAN and re-enabling doesn't help. Rebooting PC does
    > not help. The only option is to reboot the router. Then the
    > PCs immediately see the router again. The problem occurs again
    > several hours later. And the same routine starts again.
    >
    > This is a MAJOR problem for me as the router is not physically
    > accessible by all PC users.
    >
    > What could be the problem? Router is defective? Bad setup?
    >
    > P.S FWIW, Router is used for networking only. No internet.
    >
    > TIA.

  4. Re: Lose connection w/ USR8054 router after 24hrs (must reboot router)

    In article ,
    wrote:
    > My USR8054 is rebooting itself at least once every 24 Hrs!

    It reboots more often if I do stuff that makes lots of packets over 802.11,
    such as type over SSH, or P2P stuff.

    > This can be easily seen in de LOG file.

    Yup. I run a web site (small, personal stuff) behind it, and this
    interferes with file transfer.

    > I too have radio connections dropping !

    I grabbed some log entries from the router's log. Every instance looks
    similar to this:

    Feb/04/2004 22:49:59 Wireless PC connected xx-xx-xx-xx-xx-xx
    Feb/04/2004 22:49:59 AP mode Ready. Channel : 1 SSID : magrathea
    Feb/04/2004 22:49:59 System started
    Feb/04/2004 22:49:59 DHCP Discover

    It never notes a restart in the log without the wireless PC (a laptop)
    present. The laptop showed up at other times, and communications were
    interrupted without a restart being logged.

    > I have received a new firware V1.21, which cannot be found on their site,
    > the upgrade didn't help a thing !

    I had tried to send the router's log to my syslog daemon, but USR's syslog
    implementation didn't work (They even said so when I called them. The
    syslog protocol has been documented for a LONG time... they have no excuse
    for not getting it right). I had hoped they would fix something in 1.21,
    but no dice.

    --
    -eben ebQenW1@EtaRmpTabYayU.rIr.OcoPm home.tampabay.rr.com/hactar

    Logic is a systematic method of coming to
    the wrong conclusion with confidence.

  5. Re: Lose connection w/ USR8054 router after 24hrs (must reboot router)

    Mine does do a restart without any wireless PC connected also, see log
    Feb/05/2004 22:36:22
    DHCP Request success
    Feb/05/2004 22:36:22
    DHCP Request
    Feb/05/2004 22:36:21
    AP mode Ready. Channel : 11 SSID : USR8054
    Feb/05/2004 22:36:21
    System started
    Feb/05/2004 22:36:21
    DHCP Discover

    I have read further comments that indeed syslogd isn't working.
    Reboots are not annoying during normal surfing, but are very unpleasant
    with streaming audio/video.

  6. Re: Lose connection w/ USR8054 router after 24hrs (must reboot router)

    In article ,
    wrote:
    > Reboots are not annoying during normal surfing, but are very unpleasant
    > with streaming audio/video.

    I use several IM systems, and another person here uses a VPN. It kicks us
    off (looks like it clears the NAT tables, as NAT replies get blocked and
    logged). This isn't a big deal with IMs, as the client automatically
    reconnects, but is with VPN.

    --
    -eben ebQenW1@EtaRmpTabYayU.rIr.OcoPm home.tampabay.rr.com/hactar

    Drive nail here > < for new monitor.

  7. Re: Lose connection w/ USR8054 router after 24hrs (must reboot router)

    DHCP lease time is set for 7days.
    But even if I have it to 1hr, I don't think that should not be a
    problem. When the lease expires, I should get a new one. If not, a
    PC reboot should do it. But no, a PC reboot does not help. Only a
    router reboot would...

    "Bigguy" wrote in message news:<4UGUb.7808$aj4.71233596@news-text.cableinet.net>...
    > What is the DHCP lease time set to?
    >
    > Guy
    >
    > r. t. wrote:
    > > Hi all,
    > >
    > > I recently bought the USR8054 wireless router (802.11g).
    > > PCs have WinXP with Dlink cards. Set it up and all is
    > > working fine. Next day, my PCs don't see the router anymore.
    > > Disabling WAN and re-enabling doesn't help. Rebooting PC does
    > > not help. The only option is to reboot the router. Then the
    > > PCs immediately see the router again. The problem occurs again
    > > several hours later. And the same routine starts again.
    > >
    > > This is a MAJOR problem for me as the router is not physically
    > > accessible by all PC users.
    > >
    > > What could be the problem? Router is defective? Bad setup?
    > >
    > > P.S FWIW, Router is used for networking only. No internet.
    > >
    > > TIA.

  8. Re: Lose connection w/ USR8054 router after 24hrs (must reboot router)

    I don't remember but I don't think my router reboots (have to check
    the logs when I get home). Because I would then have a new IP and
    would still be connected. My PC actually got disconnected and cannot
    see the router afterwards. I have to manually reboot the router.

    P.S I contacted support and they gave me a run around. Would you mind
    emailing the V1.21 to me.
    thx

    gerrit_beylemans@nospam.msn.com wrote in message news:...
    > My USR8054 is rebooting itself at least once every 24 Hrs! This can be
    > easily seen in de LOG file.
    > I too have radio connections dropping !
    > I sent already several mails to USR, I have received a new firware V1.21,
    > which cannot be found on their site, the upgrade didn't help a thing !
    >
    > Sorry, no solution, just the same **** over here

+ Reply to Thread