switch - Network

This is a discussion on switch - Network ; taken from how stuff works "When one animator sends a file to another, the very large file will use up most of the network's capacity, making the network run very slowly for other users. One of the reasons that a ...

  1. switch

    taken from how stuff works

    "When one animator sends a file to another, the very large file will use
    up most of the
    network's capacity, making the network run very slowly for other users.
    One of the reasons
    that a single intensive user can affect the entire network stems from
    the way that Ethernet
    works. Each information packet sent from a computer is seen by all the
    other computers on
    the local network. Each computer then examines the packet and decides
    whether it was meant
    for its address. This keeps the basic plan of the network simple, but
    has performance
    consequences as the size of the network or level of network activity
    increases. To keep
    the animators' work from interfering with that of the folks in the front
    office, the
    company sets up two separate networks, one for the animators and one for
    the rest of
    the company. A router links the two networks and connects both networks
    to the Internet. "

    My question. AFAIK, switch send packet only to the intended
    receipent.It wont slow
    down the whole network right?
    correct me if im wrong
    TIA
    --
    "If we don't stand together than this is the end"
    The Business

  2. Re: switch

    "IHateSuperman" wrote in message
    > taken from how stuff works
    >
    > "When one animator sends a file to another, the very large file will use
    > up most of the
    > network's capacity, making the network run very slowly for other users.
    > One of the reasons
    > that a single intensive user can affect the entire network stems from
    > the way that Ethernet
    > works. Each information packet sent from a computer is seen by all the
    > other computers on
    > the local network. Each computer then examines the packet and decides
    > whether it was meant
    > for its address. This keeps the basic plan of the network simple, but
    > has performance
    > consequences as the size of the network or level of network activity
    > increases. To keep
    > the animators' work from interfering with that of the folks in the front
    > office, the
    > company sets up two separate networks, one for the animators and one for
    > the rest of
    > the company. A router links the two networks and connects both networks
    > to the Internet. "
    >
    > My question. AFAIK, switch send packet only to the intended
    > receipent.It wont slow
    > down the whole network right?
    > correct me if im wrong
    > TIA
    > --
    > "If we don't stand together than this is the end"
    > The Business

    It all depends on segments. If machines are connected by a hub, or by a
    cable they are in the same segment. If they are connected by a switch they
    are in different segments. Devices within the same segment see ALL the
    traffic within that segment.

    So if you use a switch, packets are only sent to the intended recipient.
    Ideally, using a switch means that all pairs of devices could communicate
    with each other at full speed with no slowdown. The better your switch, the
    truer this is.

    John

  3. Re: switch

    Yes installing a Switch would greatly increase your network
    performance. Question is HOW big are the files are sending, and what
    is the router you are using.

    You can get a managed switch from Cisco that has VLAN capabilities
    although I don't know the size of your environment.

    If you decide to get yourself a switch, Check all client machines to
    see if they have 100 Full Duplex Mode capabilities. I don't like
    having Auto-Negotiate as the setting for my NICS. Ofcourse you have
    to check if you have the proper cables for 100Mb (Cat5).

+ Reply to Thread