Can I create a server when my connection uses dynamic IP? - Network

This is a discussion on Can I create a server when my connection uses dynamic IP? - Network ; I wish to turn my computer into a server, however, it is on a connection that uses dynamic IP addresses. Does anybody know if it will work to purchase an IP somewhere (anybody know were?) and have 2 IPs associated ...

  1. Can I create a server when my connection uses dynamic IP?

    I wish to turn my computer into a server, however, it is on a
    connection that uses dynamic IP addresses.

    Does anybody know if it will work to purchase an IP somewhere (anybody
    know were?) and have 2 IPs associated with this computer, the dynamic
    one use for connectivity and a static one for the server?

    If not, is there another way to make a server when one has a dynamic
    IP?

    Thanks
    natwad

  2. Re: Can I create a server when my connection uses dynamic IP?

    On 2 Feb 2004 15:27:24 -0800, natwodHa@hotmail.com (natwad) wrote:

    >I wish to turn my computer into a server, however, it is on a
    >connection that uses dynamic IP addresses.
    >
    >Does anybody know if it will work to purchase an IP somewhere (anybody
    >know were?) and have 2 IPs associated with this computer, the dynamic
    >one use for connectivity and a static one for the server?
    >
    >If not, is there another way to make a server when one has a dynamic
    >IP?
    >
    >Thanks
    > natwad

    www.no-ip.com free dynamic IP to dns service.

    Taff.............

    www.sounds-pa.com | www.thecomputerworkshop.com

  3. Re: Can I create a server when my connection uses dynamic IP?

    natwad wrote:
    > I wish to turn my computer into a server, however, it is on a
    > connection that uses dynamic IP addresses.
    >
    > Does anybody know if it will work to purchase an IP somewhere (anybody
    > know were?) and have 2 IPs associated with this computer, the dynamic
    > one use for connectivity and a static one for the server?
    >
    > If not, is there another way to make a server when one has a dynamic
    > IP?
    >
    > Thanks
    > natwad

    You can use a dynamic DNS service. dyndns.org provides a free service
    which works well. Some routers can be set to automatically update the IP
    address on dyndns.org . Otherwise, there are programs you can run on
    your computer which will update the IP address.

    Note that most ISPs, when providing a dynamic IP address, do not allow
    (in their contract) the use of servers. If you violate the terms of your
    agreement with your ISP, you could be denied the services of that ISP.
    Of course, your ISP may allow servers.

+ Reply to Thread