Actiontec 1520 Responds to ping from Internet - Why? - Network

This is a discussion on Actiontec 1520 Responds to ping from Internet - Why? - Network ; I work on two different home networks, each using identical Actiontec 1520 ADSL modem/router devices. The first one uses eCentral as an ISP, with the DSL service provided by Qwest. The second one uses MSN as the ISP with the ...

  1. Actiontec 1520 Responds to ping from Internet - Why?

    I work on two different home networks, each using identical Actiontec
    1520 ADSL modem/router devices. The first one uses eCentral as an
    ISP, with the DSL service provided by Qwest. The second one uses MSN
    as the ISP with the DSL provided by Qwest. When running a security
    check from Shields Up, it reports that the second system responds to a
    ping from the Internet, while the first one does not. Is this a
    configuration issue on the router itself, or does the ISP factor into
    this somehow? I have not been able to observe a difference in the
    setting when looking at the router setup screen.

    Can anyone help me understand the different behavior?

    I am assuming that since the machines behind the router cannot be seen
    from the Internet, the fact that the first is XP and the second is 98,
    is not a factor.

  2. Re: Actiontec 1520 Responds to ping from Internet - Why?

    Anyone have a clue on this?

    jeffburns@ecentral.com (Jeff Burns) wrote in message news:<2c3700ba.0402012051.54678a38@posting.google.com>...
    > I work on two different home networks, each using identical Actiontec
    > 1520 ADSL modem/router devices. The first one uses eCentral as an
    > ISP, with the DSL service provided by Qwest. The second one uses MSN
    > as the ISP with the DSL provided by Qwest. When running a security
    > check from Shields Up, it reports that the second system responds to a
    > ping from the Internet, while the first one does not. Is this a
    > configuration issue on the router itself, or does the ISP factor into
    > this somehow? I have not been able to observe a difference in the
    > setting when looking at the router setup screen.
    >
    > Can anyone help me understand the different behavior?
    >
    > I am assuming that since the machines behind the router cannot be seen
    > from the Internet, the fact that the first is XP and the second is 98,
    > is not a factor.

  3. Re: Actiontec 1520 Responds to ping from Internet - Why?

    jeffburns@ecentral.com (Jeff Burns) wrote in message news:<2c3700ba.0402051137.4063305@posting.google.com>...
    > Anyone have a clue on this?
    >
    > jeffburns@ecentral.com (Jeff Burns) wrote in message news:<2c3700ba.0402012051.54678a38@posting.google.com>...
    > > I work on two different home networks, each using identical Actiontec
    > > 1520 ADSL modem/router devices. The first one uses eCentral as an
    > > ISP, with the DSL service provided by Qwest. The second one uses MSN
    > > as the ISP with the DSL provided by Qwest. When running a security
    > > check from Shields Up, it reports that the second system responds to a
    > > ping from the Internet, while the first one does not. Is this a
    > > configuration issue on the router itself, or does the ISP factor into
    > > this somehow? I have not been able to observe a difference in the
    > > setting when looking at the router setup screen.
    > >
    > > Can anyone help me understand the different behavior?
    > >
    > > I am assuming that since the machines behind the router cannot be seen
    > > from the Internet, the fact that the first is XP and the second is 98,
    > > is not a factor.

    If both routers are configured the same then my guess is that one ISP
    filters out ICMP protocol which is what ping uses. Your ISP will be
    able to tell you that.

    BH

  4. Re: Actiontec 1520 Responds to ping from Internet - Why?

    jeffburns@ecentral.com (Jeff Burns) wrote in message news:<2c3700ba.0402012051.54678a38@posting.google.com>...
    > > > I work on two different home networks, each using identical Actiontec
    > > > 1520 ADSL modem/router devices. The first one uses eCentral as an
    > > > ISP, with the DSL service provided by Qwest. The second one uses MSN
    > > > as the ISP with the DSL provided by Qwest. When running a security
    > > > check from Shields Up, it reports that the second system responds to a
    > > > ping from the Internet, while the first one does not. Is this a
    > > > configuration issue on the router itself, or does the ISP factor into
    > > > this somehow? I have not been able to observe a difference in the
    > > > setting when looking at the router setup screen.
    > > >
    > > > Can anyone help me understand the different behavior?
    > > >
    > > > I am assuming that since the machines behind the router cannot be seen
    > > > from the Internet, the fact that the first is XP and the second is 98,
    > > > is not a factor.

    > If both routers are configured the same then my guess is that one ISP
    > filters out ICMP protocol which is what ping uses. Your ISP will be
    > able to tell you that.
    >
    > BH

    Thanks for taking the time to reply! I will investigate that and see
    if that's the case. - Jeff -

+ Reply to Thread