Peer to peer setup - Network

This is a discussion on Peer to peer setup - Network ; Hello Computer A is running Windows 2000 professional and is already a member of a workgroup via a cable internet connection. This connection cannot be compromised or my wife will kill me. Computer B is in my hobby room downstairs ...

  1. Peer to peer setup

    Hello

    Computer A is running Windows 2000 professional and is already a member of a
    workgroup via a cable internet connection. This connection cannot be
    compromised or my wife will kill me.

    Computer B is in my hobby room downstairs running Windows 98.

    I want to setup a peer to peer connection between these two computers so I
    may share files. I do not want to purchase a router simply because I am a
    cheapskate ($50 buys a lot of beer) and I have run out of AC power
    connections and do not wish to use a 3rd power stirp.

    I have a cross-over CAT 5 cable connecting the two systems. Yet I can't get
    one to see the other. This has to be a simple proceedure. Has anyone here
    accomplished this?

    Thanks
    mm

  2. Re: Beer to beer setup

    W98 box should:
    1. have TCP/IP;
    2. have File and Printer Sharing;
    3. participate in the same workgroup - ask your wife;
    4. login into MS network with account existed on W2k machine - ask your
    wife.

    W2k box should:
    1. have NetBIOS over TCP/IP enabled;
    2. have File and Printer Sharing.

    When your wife will realize that setup is absolutely insecure, she will:
    1. cut the network cable;
    2. circumcise something else.

    Beg her to buy a router.

  3. Re: Beer to beer setup

    LOL on the circumcision! We are using a firewall on our cble connection to
    hopefully thwart some folks.

    Thanks for your tips. I used those plus some info gleaned here:
    http://www.makeitsimple.com/how-to/simple.htm

    It runs real sweet now! Thanks
    mm

    "Jetro" wrote in message
    > W98 box should:
    > 1. have TCP/IP;
    > 2. have File and Printer Sharing;
    > 3. participate in the same workgroup - ask your wife;
    > 4. login into MS network with account existed on W2k machine - ask your
    > wife.
    >
    > W2k box should:
    > 1. have NetBIOS over TCP/IP enabled;
    > 2. have File and Printer Sharing.
    >
    > When your wife will realize that setup is absolutely insecure, she will:
    > 1. cut the network cable;
    > 2. circumcise something else.
    >
    > Beg her to buy a router.

  4. Re: Beer to beer setup

    That article is 5 years old.
    I wouldn't install NetBEUI or IPX(unless needed for games). The fewer
    protocols running, the faster it goes. TCP/IP can do file sharing just
    fine. And I wouldn't assign IP addresses on the LAN (unless you had some
    good specific reason to do so) but use DHCP. DHCP is so much easier and
    faster to set up.
    And using the XP wizard takes all the configuration issues out of it.

    But if it got you working, it's a great article.!!

    "M&K" wrote in message
    > LOL on the circumcision! We are using a firewall on our cble connection to
    > hopefully thwart some folks.
    >
    > Thanks for your tips. I used those plus some info gleaned here:
    > http://www.makeitsimple.com/how-to/simple.htm
    >
    > It runs real sweet now! Thanks
    > mm
    >

    > "Jetro" wrote in message
    > > W98 box should:
    > > 1. have TCP/IP;
    > > 2. have File and Printer Sharing;
    > > 3. participate in the same workgroup - ask your wife;
    > > 4. login into MS network with account existed on W2k machine - ask your
    > > wife.
    > >
    > > W2k box should:
    > > 1. have NetBIOS over TCP/IP enabled;
    > > 2. have File and Printer Sharing.
    > >
    > > When your wife will realize that setup is absolutely insecure, she will:
    > > 1. cut the network cable;
    > > 2. circumcise something else.
    > >
    > > Beg her to buy a router.

  5. Re: Beer to beer setup