Which OSI layer is the fastest? - Network

This is a discussion on Which OSI layer is the fastest? - Network ; One of my friend got this question in an interview.Eventhough he is a network admin he couldnt answer.Anybody knows which OSI layer is the fastest?And why?...

  1. Which OSI layer is the fastest?

    One of my friend got this question in an interview.Eventhough he is a
    network admin he couldnt answer.Anybody knows which OSI layer is the
    fastest?And why?

  2. Re: Which OSI layer is the fastest?

    On 1 Feb 2004 04:45:37 -0800, jimmyvarghesemca@hotmail.com (jimmy)
    wrote:

    >One of my friend got this question in an interview.Eventhough he is a
    >network admin he couldnt answer.Anybody knows which OSI layer is the
    >fastest?And why?

    It was a trick question. There are too many variables involved in the
    7 layers to say which is fastest in all real world environments. If I
    had to answer I'd say the Network layer because it is pure
    transmission.

    Gotta go...,
    Butterfield

  3. Re: Which OSI layer is the fastest?

    "Butterfield" wrote in message
    > On 1 Feb 2004 04:45:37 -0800, jimmyvarghesemca@hotmail.com (jimmy)
    > wrote:
    >
    > >One of my friend got this question in an interview.Eventhough he is a
    > >network admin he couldnt answer.Anybody knows which OSI layer is the
    > >fastest?And why?

    > It was a trick question. There are too many variables involved in the
    > 7 layers to say which is fastest in all real world environments. If I
    > had to answer I'd say the Network layer because it is pure
    > transmission.
    >
    > Gotta go...,
    > Butterfield

    In any system that consists of a variety of low level and high level
    protocols, it is always going to be possible to get at least the equal best
    speed/power/performance out of the lowest level (so long as each layer of
    abstraction is built entirely upon less abstract layers).

    Any thoughts?

    John

+ Reply to Thread