Old 10MBps NIC used for 6MBps ADSL access - Network

This is a discussion on Old 10MBps NIC used for 6MBps ADSL access - Network ; I plan to switch from 56K dial-up account to the fastest 6MBps ADSL avalible today for my old desktop computer. My computer is still an old PII 333 MHz machine equipped with 10MBps NIC, and this old NIC has been ...

  1. Old 10MBps NIC used for 6MBps ADSL access

    I plan to switch from 56K dial-up account to the fastest 6MBps ADSL
    avalible today for my old desktop computer.

    My computer is still an old PII 333 MHz machine equipped with 10MBps
    NIC, and this old NIC has been function well for the past 5 years for
    home networking (File transfer with my Laptop). I use this old
    desktop solely for Web Surfing Only (for fear of Virus attack), while
    I use my newer Laptop for important daily works. (Both computer
    seldom linkup, except during file transfer)

    The question is:- This old NIC card has a max capacity of 10 MBps.
    The future 6MBps ADSL's max download rate is only 6MBps, (Upload rate
    even much slower @ 640KBps only, (Asymetrical charateristic of ADSL
    service))

    Does this means that my old 10 MBps NIC is still capable to provide
    service for my future fastest 6MBps ADSL service ??? (Only approx 60%
    of that old NIC capacity is used, still have 40% capacity margin ???,
    Old NIC is not a bottleneck of my old Desktop ???) ???

    Currently, most people use 10/100 MBps NIC for 6 MBps ADSL access, do
    it means that it is just a waste of resources in using 100 MBps NIC's
    bandwith for just a mere 6 MBps ADSL service ??? (Only 6% of its NIC
    bandwith are ultilized, the remaining 95% of the NIC's bandwidth are
    wasted ???)

    Sinc the price of 10 MBpc & 10/100 MBps NIC are essentially the same,
    I am not concerning about the cost of a new 10/100 MBps NIC. My
    biggest concern is the headach & mess in opening up the old computer's
    case for installing a new 10/100 MBps NIC. This operation is too
    risky for me. Generally, I must have some trouble(s) after open-up
    the computer case for installing new hardware, and I cannot afford any
    outage of Web-Surfing for longer than 1 day.

  2. Re: Old 10MBps NIC used for 6MBps ADSL access

    My USB Webstar cable modem shows up in the taskbar as a 10Mb
    connection.

    Taff..................

    On 30 Jan 2004 23:35:01 -0800, cmlau@email.com (C.M.LAU) wrote:

    >I plan to switch from 56K dial-up account to the fastest 6MBps ADSL
    >avalible today for my old desktop computer.
    >
    >My computer is still an old PII 333 MHz machine equipped with 10MBps
    >NIC, and this old NIC has been function well for the past 5 years for
    >home networking (File transfer with my Laptop). I use this old
    >desktop solely for Web Surfing Only (for fear of Virus attack), while
    >I use my newer Laptop for important daily works. (Both computer
    >seldom linkup, except during file transfer)
    >
    >The question is:- This old NIC card has a max capacity of 10 MBps.
    >The future 6MBps ADSL's max download rate is only 6MBps, (Upload rate
    >even much slower @ 640KBps only, (Asymetrical charateristic of ADSL
    >service))
    >
    >Does this means that my old 10 MBps NIC is still capable to provide
    >service for my future fastest 6MBps ADSL service ??? (Only approx 60%
    >of that old NIC capacity is used, still have 40% capacity margin ???,
    > Old NIC is not a bottleneck of my old Desktop ???) ???
    >
    >Currently, most people use 10/100 MBps NIC for 6 MBps ADSL access, do
    >it means that it is just a waste of resources in using 100 MBps NIC's
    >bandwith for just a mere 6 MBps ADSL service ??? (Only 6% of its NIC
    >bandwith are ultilized, the remaining 95% of the NIC's bandwidth are
    >wasted ???)
    >
    >Sinc the price of 10 MBpc & 10/100 MBps NIC are essentially the same,
    >I am not concerning about the cost of a new 10/100 MBps NIC. My
    >biggest concern is the headach & mess in opening up the old computer's
    >case for installing a new 10/100 MBps NIC. This operation is too
    >risky for me. Generally, I must have some trouble(s) after open-up
    >the computer case for installing new hardware, and I cannot afford any
    >outage of Web-Surfing for longer than 1 day.

    www.sounds-pa.com | www.thecomputerworkshop.com

  3. Re: Old 10MBps NIC used for 6MBps ADSL access

    You should be fine with the 10 Mbps LAN if you are the only user.
    Even if you add multiple users, a LAN switched network would work
    fine.

    Sandeep
    --
    http://www.EventHelix.com/EventStudio
    EventStudio 2.0 - Generate Protocol Sequence Diagrams in PDF

+ Reply to Thread