Can not locate or see other machine on network - Network

This is a discussion on Can not locate or see other machine on network - Network ; I am networking two desktops, one with win, and the other with winxp home. The problem is that I can't get the xp machine to show up in the win, my network neighborhood. The reverse works fine, the win machine ...

  1. Can not locate or see other machine on network

    I am networking two desktops, one with win, and the other with winxp home.
    The problem is that I can't get the xp machine to show up in the win, my
    network neighborhood. The reverse works fine, the win machine shows up in
    the win xp's network places. Also the two machines share an Internet
    connection without problems, with the winxp machine as host. When I click on
    network neighborhood I get unable to browse the network. I pinged both IP
    address on the two machine, no problem, Tried to map network drive, e.g,
    name of computer, share file name, still wouldn't locate other network
    computer, disabled the fire walls on both machines. But I still can't see
    other computer on network. I was told that I need't net bios component in
    win, or winxp, not certain which one, but where do I find this network
    component net bios, not in win network setup

  2. Re: Can not locate or see other machine on network

    hi there,
    man your problem is same as other hundereds of people have and
    hundereds of time i gave reply of this problem, there is several
    things to consider, first check do you pc properley connected woth
    second pc?
    do you have proper protocol installd?
    wot protocol installed?
    network card driver installed?
    just check theas all and send reply i will tell you all in detail.
    bye
    regard
    syntex Error

  3. Re: Can not locate or see other machine on network

    "Alphonso" wrote in message news:...
    > I am networking two desktops, one with win, and the other with winxp home.
    > The problem is that I can't get the xp machine to show up in the win, my
    > network neighborhood. The reverse works fine, the win machine shows up in
    > the win xp's network places. Also the two machines share an Internet
    > connection without problems, with the winxp machine as host. When I click on
    > network neighborhood I get unable to browse the network. I pinged both IP
    > address on the two machine, no problem, Tried to map network drive, e.g,
    > name of computer, share file name, still wouldn't locate other network
    > computer, disabled the fire walls on both machines. But I still can't see
    > other computer on network. I was told that I need't net bios component in
    > win, or winxp, not certain which one, but where do I find this network
    > component net bios, not in win network setup

    Have you run the wizard to set up a home network on your XP machine?
    You never mention what you mean by having "win" on your other machine
    but, the wizard allows you to create a floppy disk which can be used
    to configure any other machines on your network. It has worked
    perfectly for me with other machines using 2000, XP, Me and 98. Just
    run the wizard on your XP machine, tell it to create the floppy, and
    then just load the floppy in your other machine and run it.

  4. Re: Can not locate or see other machine on network

    Ο "Alphonso" έγραψε στο μήνυμα
    > I am networking two desktops, one with win, and the other with winxp home.
    > The problem is that I can't get the xp machine to show up in the win, my
    > network neighborhood. The reverse works fine, the win machine shows up in
    > the win xp's network places. Also the two machines share an Internet
    > connection without problems, with the winxp machine as host. When I click

    on
    > network neighborhood I get unable to browse the network. I pinged both IP
    > address on the two machine, no problem, Tried to map network drive, e.g,
    > name of computer, share file name, still wouldn't locate other network
    > computer, disabled the fire walls on both machines. But I still can't see
    > other computer on network. I was told that I need't net bios component in
    > win, or winxp, not certain which one, but where do I find this network
    > component net bios, not in win network setup

    "Enable netbios over TCP/IP" on both computers network configuraiton
    (somwhere in the "advanced properties" field I think?)

    Manos

+ Reply to Thread