Gaming network - Network

This is a discussion on Gaming network - Network ; Hello group. I want to set up a small network at home for 2 or 3 computers, for multiplayer gaming. I'm considering using a wireless network because the wife might not appreciate cables running all around the house. I know ...

  1. Gaming network

    Hello group.

    I want to set up a small network at home for 2 or 3 computers, for
    multiplayer gaming.

    I'm considering using a wireless network because the wife might not
    appreciate cables running all around the house.

    I know a little bit about speeds and stuff, and understand that a typical
    network card/cable system will operate at 100 Mbps, whereas up until
    recently a wireless system would operate at 10 Mbps. Even now, as far as I
    am aware, the fastest commercially available wireless system goes up to 50
    Mbps or something.

    Quite simply, is this enough? Playing something like Return to Castle
    Wolfenstein, Kingpin or any other 1st person shooter, will the network do
    the job. We're assuming the machines themselves have a high enough spec to
    deal with the game.

    Any thoughts?

    Tanel.

  2. Re: Gaming network

    50Mb is MORE than enough. However I do not trust Wireless for gaming
    YET. The last thing you want to happen in the middle of a quake game,
    Someone Turning on the PHONE (2.4Ghz) or anything else that might
    cause an interferance with the session and NEXT THING YOU KNOW....
    Connection Interruption detected when your about to frag your friend.
    NOT COOL...

  3. Re: Gaming network

    On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 17:26:03 +0000 (UTC), Tanel Kagannospam wrote:

    > Hello group.
    >
    > I want to set up a small network at home for 2 or 3 computers, for
    > multiplayer gaming.
    >
    > I'm considering using a wireless network because the wife might not
    > appreciate cables running all around the house.
    >
    > I know a little bit about speeds and stuff, and understand that a typical
    > network card/cable system will operate at 100 Mbps, whereas up until
    > recently a wireless system would operate at 10 Mbps. Even now, as far as I
    > am aware, the fastest commercially available wireless system goes up to 50
    > Mbps or something.
    >
    > Quite simply, is this enough? Playing something like Return to Castle
    > Wolfenstein, Kingpin or any other 1st person shooter, will the network do
    > the job. We're assuming the machines themselves have a high enough spec to
    > deal with the game.
    >
    > Any thoughts?
    >
    > Tanel.

    I've got a small four computer network in my house. Two of the computers
    are hard-wired to my wireless router, one PC in another room is using
    802.11b (10Mbps) wireless USB connection, and a laptop using an 802.11b
    PCMCIA card. I regularly have multiplayer matches going both internally,
    as well as the internet with all four computers here participating. I have
    not experienced any problems. Keep in mind, that a 10Mbps network (though
    you don't really get that fast in reality) is faster than a T-1 connection,
    so there is plenty of bandwidth for online gaming. If you plan on doing a
    lot of file transfers between the computers, or are thinking about setting
    one of them up as a server, I would recommend going with 802.11g (54Mbps).
    You'll notice quite a bit of difference.

    Hope this helps...
    Cheers,
    Bolshoimac

  4. Re: Gaming network

    [cite]Someone Turning on the PHONE (2.4Ghz) or anything else that might
    cause an interferance with the session [/cite]

    What utter ****!
    802.11b/g etc all use Spread spectrum transmission there is no way a DECT
    phone will
    disrupt your wireless session!

    Xanax.

  5. Re: Gaming network

    "Xanax" wrote in message news:<7oAVb.1968$rb.56322@news.indigo.ie>...
    > [cite]Someone Turning on the PHONE (2.4Ghz) or anything else that might
    > cause an interferance with the session [/cite]
    >
    > What utter ****!
    > 802.11b/g etc all use Spread spectrum transmission there is no way a DECT
    > phone will
    > disrupt your wireless session!
    >
    > Xanax.

    I beg to differ. I use an 802.11b wireless network adapter in my home
    network and I've had to switch my phone to a hard wired line because
    ANYTIME my phone would ring I would lose network connectivity (to my
    own surprise I might add) so although I believe it is a rarity, in
    real world application it is (obviously to myself) possible for
    wireless phones to interfer with wireless network adapters.

    LEO

  6. Re: Gaming network

    Well that's a practical shock to me.
    God help us when the bulbs in their sockets are linked to a wireless
    controler!!

    Xanax.
    "Leo" wrote in message
    news:b81c4bdf.0402121659.5467846a@posting.google.c om...
    > "Xanax" wrote in message
    >> [cite]Someone Turning on the PHONE (2.4Ghz) or anything else that might
    >> cause an interferance with the session [/cite]
    >>
    >> What utter ****!
    >> 802.11b/g etc all use Spread spectrum transmission there is no way a DECT
    >> phone will
    >> disrupt your wireless session!
    >>
    >> Xanax.

    > I beg to differ. I use an 802.11b wireless network adapter in my home
    > network and I've had to switch my phone to a hard wired line because
    > ANYTIME my phone would ring I would lose network connectivity (to my
    > own surprise I might add) so although I believe it is a rarity, in
    > real world application it is (obviously to myself) possible for
    > wireless phones to interfer with wireless network adapters.
    >

    > LEO

+ Reply to Thread