Re: What defines a valid POP3 account name? - Network

This is a discussion on Re: What defines a valid POP3 account name? - Network ; Ick! : ) Not a programmer here, so reading regular expressions doesn't work for me. Just trying to settle an argument about an email address. a._bc@here.com (a dot underscore bc at here dot com) Is dot underscore a valid combination ...

  1. Re: What defines a valid POP3 account name?

    Ick! : )

    Not a programmer here, so reading regular expressions doesn't work for me.

    Just trying to settle an argument about an email address.

    a._bc@here.com (a dot underscore bc at here dot com)

    Is dot underscore a valid combination in the middle of an email address?
    Trying to find the RFC or other rule that defines whether or not this type
    of addres should be allowed.

    "BobC" wrote in message
    > On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 21:55:48 GMT, Noozer wrote:
    >
    > > Hi!
    > >
    > > I'm not having much luck with Google or the RFC website.
    > >
    > > Can someone point to me a reference that defines what email account

    names
    > > are or aren't valid for a POP3 email account?
    > >
    > > Thanks!

    > Here are a couple:
    > http://www.regexlib.com/DisplayPatterns.aspx

    http://www.breakingpar.com/bkp/home....256C40004CC8C6

  2. Re: What defines a valid POP3 account name?

    Yes it is valid , because you can use both symbols in e-mail address.

    "Noozer" wrote in message
    > Ick! : )
    >
    > Not a programmer here, so reading regular expressions doesn't work for me.
    >
    > Just trying to settle an argument about an email address.
    >
    > a._bc@here.com (a dot underscore bc at here dot com)
    >
    > Is dot underscore a valid combination in the middle of an email address?
    > Trying to find the RFC or other rule that defines whether or not this type
    > of addres should be allowed.
    >

    > "BobC" wrote in message
    > > On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 21:55:48 GMT, Noozer wrote:
    > >
    > > > Hi!
    > > >
    > > > I'm not having much luck with Google or the RFC website.
    > > >
    > > > Can someone point to me a reference that defines what email account

    > names
    > > > are or aren't valid for a POP3 email account?
    > > >
    > > > Thanks!

    > > Here are a couple:
    > > http://www.regexlib.com/DisplayPatterns.aspx

    http://www.breakingpar.com/bkp/home....256B280015193F
    87256C40004CC8C6

  3. Re: What defines a valid POP3 account name?

    On Thu, 29 Jan 2004 00:17:56 GMT, "Noozer"
    wrote:

    >Ick! : )
    >
    >Not a programmer here, so reading regular expressions doesn't work for me.
    >
    >Just trying to settle an argument about an email address.
    >
    > a._bc@here.com (a dot underscore bc at here dot com)
    >
    >Is dot underscore a valid combination in the middle of an email address?
    >Trying to find the RFC or other rule that defines whether or not this type
    >of addres should be allowed.

    The two that likely apply to your question are:

    http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc1034.html
    http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc974.html

    882 and 883 also apply but are obsolete.

    And basically, a valid email address currently consists of the
    account, followed by the @ character, followed by the host/domain
    which will answer with an appropriate MX record in DNS. Systems may
    or may not be case sensitive, and alphanumeric characters will be
    recognized as well as characters valid on the receiving system for the
    account portion.

    Beyond that, the RFC's don't state "This is the valid character set"
    because it can be different based on the systems involved. And yes,
    dots and underscores are honored by pretty much all current POP server
    programs.

    Jeff

    >"BobC" wrote in message
    >> On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 21:55:48 GMT, Noozer wrote:
    >>
    >> > Hi!
    >> >
    >> > I'm not having much luck with Google or the RFC website.
    >> >
    >> > Can someone point to me a reference that defines what email account

    >names
    >> > are or aren't valid for a POP3 email account?
    >> >
    >> > Thanks!

    >> Here are a couple:
    >> http://www.regexlib.com/DisplayPatterns.aspx
    >>

    >http://www.breakingpar.com/bkp/home....256C40004CC8C6

  4. Re: What defines a valid POP3 account name?

    Thanks everyone...

    Now our admin is admitting that it is a valid address, but "to allow it's
    use would make maintenance a nightmare!"

    I love working at the cirus.

    Thanks again!

    "Jeff Cochran" wrote in message
    > On Thu, 29 Jan 2004 00:17:56 GMT, "Noozer"
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Ick! : )
    > >
    > >Not a programmer here, so reading regular expressions doesn't work for

    me.

    > >Just trying to settle an argument about an email address.
    > >
    > > a._bc@here.com (a dot underscore bc at here dot com)
    > >
    > >Is dot underscore a valid combination in the middle of an email

    address?
    > >Trying to find the RFC or other rule that defines whether or not this

    type
    > >of addres should be allowed.

    > The two that likely apply to your question are:
    >
    > http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc1034.html
    > http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc974.html
    >
    > 882 and 883 also apply but are obsolete.
    >
    > And basically, a valid email address currently consists of the
    > account, followed by the @ character, followed by the host/domain
    > which will answer with an appropriate MX record in DNS. Systems may
    > or may not be case sensitive, and alphanumeric characters will be
    > recognized as well as characters valid on the receiving system for the
    > account portion.
    >
    > Beyond that, the RFC's don't state "This is the valid character set"
    > because it can be different based on the systems involved. And yes,
    > dots and underscores are honored by pretty much all current POP server
    > programs.
    >
    > Jeff
    >
    > >"BobC" wrote in message

    > >names