10Mbps & 100 Mbps coexisting? - Network

This is a discussion on 10Mbps & 100 Mbps coexisting? - Network ; Hey, I have two hubs (5 port 100Mbps, 6 port 10Mbps) and one server. I'm trying to use all 11 ports at once and give high bandwidth users access to the 100Mbps connection. How would I need to set this ...

  1. 10Mbps & 100 Mbps coexisting?

    Hey,

    I have two hubs (5 port 100Mbps, 6 port 10Mbps) and one server. I'm trying
    to use all 11 ports at once and give high bandwidth users access to the
    100Mbps connection. How would I need to set this up so that I can use all
    11 connections while still having the 100Mbps active (and not drop down to
    10Mbps speeds)?

    Thanks,
    Peter

  2. Re: 10Mbps & 100 Mbps coexisting?

    It depend on the hub model
    anyway, if you connect all 100 users to 100 hub and uplink of 10 into one of
    100 slots - it should work
    some hub's has special 10/100 slots, not all the slots in box, you can read
    manual to your 100 hub to get better idea.
    or use google and search for hub model on the internet.
    anyway, in my office all 100 computeres was working 100, having 10's as well
    connected

    i'been using simular setup.

    regards

    p.s. keep in mind that on some hubs "uplink" slot and slot No1 - you can not
    plug cables to both slots, only to one, otherwise it won't work

    "Jim Bob" wrote in message
    news:5cVRb.40219$9Ce1.28683@news04.bloor.is.net.ca ble.rogers.com...
    > Hey,
    >
    > I have two hubs (5 port 100Mbps, 6 port 10Mbps) and one server. I'm

    trying
    > to use all 11 ports at once and give high bandwidth users access to the
    > 100Mbps connection. How would I need to set this up so that I can use all
    > 11 connections while still having the 100Mbps active (and not drop down to
    > 10Mbps speeds)?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Peter

  3. Re: 10Mbps & 100 Mbps coexisting?

    "Jim Bob" wrote in message news:<5cVRb.40219$9Ce1.28683@news04.bloor.is.net.cable.r ogers.com>...
    > Hey,
    >
    > I have two hubs (5 port 100Mbps, 6 port 10Mbps) and one server. I'm trying
    > to use all 11 ports at once and give high bandwidth users access to the
    > 100Mbps connection. How would I need to set this up so that I can use all
    > 11 connections while still having the 100Mbps active (and not drop down to
    > 10Mbps speeds)?

    If you're saying you want to connect 11 computers at once using only
    these 2 hubs, you're probably out of luck. You'd need something to
    connect both the hubs together, which means this will take up a port
    each on both hubs.

    Most 100Mbps hubs should also be able to downgrade to 10Mbps, but
    whether this means all the other ports on that 100Mbps hub are turned
    into a 10Mbps port depends on specs.

    Regards,

    ..lzs

  4. Re: 10Mbps & 100 Mbps coexisting?

    I don't need all 11 ports but what I'm looking for is a mix of 10Mbps and
    100Mbps.

    "Lai Zit Seng" wrote in message
    news:2bd93224.0401290136.3ca78ee1@posting.google.c om...
    > "Jim Bob" wrote in message

    news:<5cVRb.40219$9Ce1.28683@news04.bloor.is.net.cable.r ogers.com>...
    > > Hey,
    > >
    > > I have two hubs (5 port 100Mbps, 6 port 10Mbps) and one server. I'm

    trying
    > > to use all 11 ports at once and give high bandwidth users access to the
    > > 100Mbps connection. How would I need to set this up so that I can use

    all
    > > 11 connections while still having the 100Mbps active (and not drop down

    > > 10Mbps speeds)?

    > If you're saying you want to connect 11 computers at once using only
    > these 2 hubs, you're probably out of luck. You'd need something to
    > connect both the hubs together, which means this will take up a port
    > each on both hubs.
    >
    > Most 100Mbps hubs should also be able to downgrade to 10Mbps, but
    > whether this means all the other ports on that 100Mbps hub are turned
    > into a 10Mbps port depends on specs.
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > .lzs

  5. Re: 10Mbps & 100 Mbps coexisting?

    On Thu, 29 Jan 2004 22:22:42 GMT, "Jim Bob" wrote:

    >I don't need all 11 ports but what I'm looking for is a mix of 10Mbps and
    >100Mbps.
    >
    >"Lai Zit Seng" wrote in message
    >news:2bd93224.0401290136.3ca78ee1@posting.google.c om...
    >> "Jim Bob" wrote in message

    >news:<5cVRb.40219$9Ce1.28683@news04.bloor.is.net.cable.r ogers.com>...
    >> > Hey,
    >> >
    >> > I have two hubs (5 port 100Mbps, 6 port 10Mbps) and one server. I'm

    >trying
    >> > to use all 11 ports at once and give high bandwidth users access to the
    >> > 100Mbps connection. How would I need to set this up so that I can use

    >all
    >> > 11 connections while still having the 100Mbps active (and not drop down

    >> > 10Mbps speeds)?

    >> If you're saying you want to connect 11 computers at once using only
    >> these 2 hubs, you're probably out of luck. You'd need something to
    >> connect both the hubs together, which means this will take up a port
    >> each on both hubs.
    >>
    >> Most 100Mbps hubs should also be able to downgrade to 10Mbps, but
    >> whether this means all the other ports on that 100Mbps hub are turned
    >> into a 10Mbps port depends on specs.
    >>
    >> Regards,
    >>
    >> .lzs

    www.sounds-pa.com | www.thecomputerworkshop.com