My network cables are bad, why... - Network

This is a discussion on My network cables are bad, why... - Network ; hello, I'm doing wireing in my client's office, space is less that 30 meters I decided to make network cables myself so I purchased roll of network cable, network connectors and a device to make actual ends for the network ...

  1. My network cables are bad, why...

    hello, I'm doing wireing in my client's office, space is less that 30 meters

    I decided to make network cables myself so I purchased roll of network
    cable, network connectors and a device to make actual ends for the network
    cable.

    My problem is that is IF the length of the wire is more than 10 meters, most
    of the computers do not see the router or hub.
    I double check every pin on both ends of the wires (I tried with 5 wires at
    least) all the pins are connected ok, and where no shortage beetwean any
    pins - so everything is the way it should be, but for some reason cable is
    not working.
    (actually one network card can see the connection, i believe it's 3COM
    card - but connection is very unstable)
    (I have 8 computers and hub, router and switch - so i have plenty of pieces
    to test my cables)
    I have removed wire from the roof, thinking maybe where is some source of
    noise - but it does not changed anything
    I also cut connectors and redone everythig again - no luck
    but any cable (that I made) less than 5 meters works ok.
    Also I purchased 30 meters belkin pre-made network cable - and i cheked
    resistance between the pins on belkin cable and on mine - on mine it's even
    less. Pre-made cable working fine with any computer and any hub/router
    so this is not related to noise/router/network card.

    what am I doing wrong?
    the network cable roll itself (unfortunatelly I don't have it's ID) seems
    to be the same as any network cable , blue, same wide as any other.

    is where different type of cables ? shoud I purcase different "model" of
    cable roll?
    maybe i'm doing connectors wrongly ( pressing too hard on that device..)
    honesty , I'm so upset with myself and this cable, i don't know what to do,
    and i don't know what the heck am I'm doing wrong...

    according to the salesman who sold me cable roll, connectors and this
    "pressing device" - cable should handle up to 300 meters..

    please help..

    any advice are very very welcome..

  2. Re: My network cables are bad, why...

    On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 08:46:09 GMT, "Alex"
    wrote:

    >hello, I'm doing wireing in my client's office, space is less that 30 meters
    >
    >I decided to make network cables myself so I purchased roll of network
    >cable, network connectors and a device to make actual ends for the network
    >cable.
    >
    >My problem is that is IF the length of the wire is more than 10 meters, most
    >of the computers do not see the router or hub.
    >I double check every pin on both ends of the wires (I tried with 5 wires at
    >least) all the pins are connected ok, and where no shortage beetwean any
    >pins - so everything is the way it should be, but for some reason cable is
    >not working.
    >(actually one network card can see the connection, i believe it's 3COM
    >card - but connection is very unstable)
    >(I have 8 computers and hub, router and switch - so i have plenty of pieces
    >to test my cables)
    >I have removed wire from the roof, thinking maybe where is some source of
    >noise - but it does not changed anything
    >I also cut connectors and redone everythig again - no luck
    >but any cable (that I made) less than 5 meters works ok.
    >Also I purchased 30 meters belkin pre-made network cable - and i cheked
    >resistance between the pins on belkin cable and on mine - on mine it's even
    >less. Pre-made cable working fine with any computer and any hub/router
    >so this is not related to noise/router/network card.
    >
    >what am I doing wrong?
    > the network cable roll itself (unfortunatelly I don't have it's ID) seems
    >to be the same as any network cable , blue, same wide as any other.
    >
    >is where different type of cables ? shoud I purcase different "model" of
    >cable roll?
    >maybe i'm doing connectors wrongly ( pressing too hard on that device..)
    >honesty , I'm so upset with myself and this cable, i don't know what to do,
    >and i don't know what the heck am I'm doing wrong...
    >
    >according to the salesman who sold me cable roll, connectors and this
    >"pressing device" - cable should handle up to 300 meters..
    >

    >please help..
    >
    >any advice are very very welcome..

    You are probably using the wrong pair colours.
    Look here to check.
    http://www.infonewsindia.com/pinout/...network.html#2

    Taff...............

    www.sounds-pa.com | www.thecomputerworkshop.com

  3. Re: My network cables are bad, why...

    "Alex" wrote in message
    news:lzpRb.19234$9Ce1.10743@news04.bloor.is.net.ca ble.rogers.com...
    > hello, I'm doing wireing in my client's office, space is less that 30

    meters

    > I decided to make network cables myself so I purchased roll of network
    > cable, network connectors and a device to make actual ends for the

    network
    > cable.
    >
    > My problem is that is IF the length of the wire is more than 10 meters,

    most
    > of the computers do not see the router or hub.
    > I double check every pin on both ends of the wires (I tried with 5 wires

    at
    > least) all the pins are connected ok, and where no shortage beetwean any
    > pins - so everything is the way it should be, but for some reason cable is
    > not working.
    > (actually one network card can see the connection, i believe it's 3COM
    > card - but connection is very unstable)
    > (I have 8 computers and hub, router and switch - so i have plenty of

    pieces
    > to test my cables)
    > I have removed wire from the roof, thinking maybe where is some source of
    > noise - but it does not changed anything
    > I also cut connectors and redone everythig again - no luck
    > but any cable (that I made) less than 5 meters works ok.
    > Also I purchased 30 meters belkin pre-made network cable - and i cheked
    > resistance between the pins on belkin cable and on mine - on mine it's

    even
    > less. Pre-made cable working fine with any computer and any hub/router
    > so this is not related to noise/router/network card.
    >
    > what am I doing wrong?
    > the network cable roll itself (unfortunatelly I don't have it's ID) seems
    > to be the same as any network cable , blue, same wide as any other.
    >
    > is where different type of cables ? shoud I purcase different "model" of
    > cable roll?
    > maybe i'm doing connectors wrongly ( pressing too hard on that device..)
    > honesty , I'm so upset with myself and this cable, i don't know what to

    do,
    > and i don't know what the heck am I'm doing wrong...
    >
    > according to the salesman who sold me cable roll, connectors and this
    > "pressing device" - cable should handle up to 300 meters..
    >

    > please help..
    >
    > any advice are very very welcome..

    It isn't enough that you are consistent on both ends of the cable when you
    put the connectors on. You have to use the correct color/pin assignments.
    The reason is to preserve the electrical transmission characteristics of the
    cable. If you don't do this, crosstalk and impedance control are totally
    destroyed. This is why things are crapping out for you after 5meters. You
    need to adhere to 568 standards. They're there for a reason.
    By the way, the max cable distance is 100m not 300m.

  4. Re: My network cables are bad, why...

    Thank You so much JCH

    You were right, I did cables by using existing cables as example, however I
    did not notice the trick that white-green and white-blue are going out of
    the other pairs order,

    I replaced everything according to the new order and it instantly start
    working!

    Thank You again !!!!!!
    Good luck!

    Regards.
    Alex.

    P.S. I found it hard to believe at first, that the order of pin placement
    can reduce noice, however now i can see why
    by looking at the page
    http://www.infonewsindia.com/pinout/...network.html#2 provided by TAFF.
    I can see that white green (RX+) and green (RX-) are screening each other,
    so it make total sence.
    Probably the order of colors could be random as long as ( RX+ and RX-) and
    (TX+ and TX-) are belong each to individual pairs.

    "jch" wrote in message
> [...]

    > do,
    > > and i don't know what the heck am I'm doing wrong...
    > >
    > > according to the salesman who sold me cable roll, connectors and this
    > > "pressing device" - cable should handle up to 300 meters..
    > >

    > > please help..
    > >
    > > any advice are very very welcome..
    > >

    > It isn't enough that you are consistent on both ends of the cable when you
    > put the connectors on. You have to use the correct color/pin assignments.
    > The reason is to preserve the electrical transmission characteristics of

    the
    > cable. If you don't do this, crosstalk and impedance control are totally
    > destroyed. This is why things are crapping out for you after 5meters.

    You
    > need to adhere to 568 standards. They're there for a reason.
    > By the way, the max cable distance is 100m not 300m.

  5. Re: My network cables are bad, why...

    Thanks taff !!!

    I did everything according to the schema on the link you provided, and it
    instanly start working!

    Can't believe how stupid and lazy i was, this link could save so much of my
    time by now....

    Anyway, we live and we learn.

    Thank You again

    Best regards!