How do I detect an intruder on the network? - Network

This is a discussion on How do I detect an intruder on the network? - Network ; Hello Group, I would like to know whether anyone here can answer this question and tell me how to defeat the problem. I have a very good friend that has a computer she takes home from work ( IBM THINKPAD ...

  1. How do I detect an intruder on the network?

    Hello Group,
    I would like to know whether anyone here can answer this question and
    tell me how to defeat the problem.
    I have a very good friend that has a computer she takes home from work
    ( IBM THINKPAD R30) running WIndows 2000 Pro.
    She has and uses frequently IBM's SameTime software to communicate to
    people in the field that are IBMers as this is an IBM specific
    messanging software. She is on a network at her home with 2 other
    computers using a wireless router.
    Now here is what is happening.

    Her husband has somehow gotten into her computer and read all her
    sametime conversations. He has all her system passwords also and this
    includes her HardDrive boot password. He is a Senior systems analyst
    so he knows all the ins and outs of computers. He has been a
    programmer in the past.
    Having said that he has her thinking that he can break in her PC at
    any time and do and see whatever he wants to. He also has told her he
    will not do it again ( Yea Right ) I would like to be able to help her
    in getting this STOPPED.
    Is there a way to find out how he is breaking in her PC or whether he
    is using some software to watch her PC while he in another room or at
    his place of business? I know there are keystroke programs out there
    and if there is one on her system how can I locate it for her. Also he
    told her he had been quote, "LOOKING AT HER LOGS". I did a search for
    log files on my pc and I could not locate one that logs any messages
    even from my Yahoo messenger.
    Can anyone PLEASE give me a hand in helping this person as this is the
    most rediculous thing I have ever encountered before.
    Thanks in advance for any help that you can offer.

    If you need anymore information please e mail me at
    rwilkins2@nc.rr.com

    Once again Thanks

  2. Re: How do I detect an intruder on the network?

    where is plenty of ways to get into computer
    especially if you have physical access to it

    you can use password reset floppy disk to change admin password on
    winXP/win2000 with out even loggin into it.

    also you can download hundreds of trojans to have ability to login to this
    computer at any time and do virtually anything
    where is no simple way to detect trojan if it was modified by this person -
    antivirus software won't detect it.

    also where is keyboard loggers that will log all keyboard typings - so all
    the password will be easy to see

    and of cource wireless network is breakable with easy - so he might setup
    some wireless bridge and log all her internet activities

    anyway - here is some tips
    you can install network loggers like "Jammer" to see all network
    connections to the computer at any time
    you can also setup firewall to block certain IP's

    but if computer is already infected with tojan like "7th door" for example -
    it will be hard for you to remove it, this "jammer" will report to you of
    all the programs on your computer that trying to access network so you will
    be able to block ertain programs or delete them

    also where is programs to encrypt files, it will create virtual hard drive
    (it will look like a normal one) and at the end of the session it will
    encrypt it so it will be impossible to get access to it - you can install
    all traceble software into this virtual ecnrypted drive

    hope it helps..

    "Wesley Wilkins" wrote in message
    news:ab73b9f3.0401260809.3d8a697c@posting.google.c om...
    > Hello Group,
    > I would like to know whether anyone here can answer this question and
    > tell me how to defeat the problem.
    > I have a very good friend that has a computer she takes home from work
    > ( IBM THINKPAD R30) running WIndows 2000 Pro.
    > She has and uses frequently IBM's SameTime software to communicate to
    > people in the field that are IBMers as this is an IBM specific
    > messanging software. She is on a network at her home with 2 other
    > computers using a wireless router.
    > Now here is what is happening.
    >
    > Her husband has somehow gotten into her computer and read all her
    > sametime conversations. He has all her system passwords also and this
    > includes her HardDrive boot password. He is a Senior systems analyst
    > so he knows all the ins and outs of computers. He has been a
    > programmer in the past.
    > Having said that he has her thinking that he can break in her PC at
    > any time and do and see whatever he wants to. He also has told her he
    > will not do it again ( Yea Right ) I would like to be able to help her
    > in getting this STOPPED.
    > Is there a way to find out how he is breaking in her PC or whether he
    > is using some software to watch her PC while he in another room or at
    > his place of business? I know there are keystroke programs out there
    > and if there is one on her system how can I locate it for her. Also he
    > told her he had been quote, "LOOKING AT HER LOGS". I did a search for
    > log files on my pc and I could not locate one that logs any messages
    > even from my Yahoo messenger.
    > Can anyone PLEASE give me a hand in helping this person as this is the
    > most rediculous thing I have ever encountered before.
    > Thanks in advance for any help that you can offer.
    >
    > If you need anymore information please e mail me at
    > rwilkins2@nc.rr.com
    >
    > Once again Thanks

+ Reply to Thread