Networking Win 2K Pro to Win XP Pro - Network

This is a discussion on Networking Win 2K Pro to Win XP Pro - Network ; I have two computers in my home office, 1 running Windows XP Pro and the other running Windows 2000 Professional. They are both hooked up to a Netgear router to access the broadband connection. I want the two to now ...

  1. Networking Win 2K Pro to Win XP Pro

    I have two computers in my home office, 1 running Windows XP Pro and
    the other running Windows 2000 Professional. They are both hooked up
    to a Netgear router to access the broadband connection. I want the two
    to now share files as well as a printer attached to the XP computer.
    I've set them both to the same workgroup name and shared the drive on
    the computers, but they don't seem to be able to see each other. Any
    help would be appreciated.

    Thanks
    Russ Askea
    askear@yahoo.com

  2. Re: Networking Win 2K Pro to Win XP Pro

    On 25 Jan 2004 14:32:49 -0800, askear@yahoo.com (Russ) wrote:

    >I have two computers in my home office, 1 running Windows XP Pro and
    >the other running Windows 2000 Professional. They are both hooked up
    >to a Netgear router to access the broadband connection. I want the two
    >to now share files as well as a printer attached to the XP computer.
    >I've set them both to the same workgroup name and shared the drive on
    >the computers, but they don't seem to be able to see each other. Any
    >help would be appreciated.
    >
    >Thanks
    >Russ Askea
    >askear@yahoo.com

    if you have a firewall on either of the machines, ensure that you have
    put the local IPs in the trusted zone.

    Taff.................

    www.sounds-pa.com | www.thecomputerworkshop.com

  3. Re: Networking Win 2K Pro to Win XP Pro

    by default windows XP machine will have firewall enabled
    you can go to internetproperties (i might be wrong) and disable it
    also try to ping your XP computers from your win2000 computers
    go to start -> run
    type "cmd"
    you will see black command prompt box
    type "ipconfig"
    you will see ip address for each computer
    when type "ping 192.168..... < the IP address of XP machine on win2000
    if you will see response time - it means they at least can see each other

    good luck

    p.s.
    also instead of linking to computer by name like \\myXPBox"
    you can link to your printer by IP address like \\192.168...\mysharedprinter
    try both methods

    also the drive "C$" is always shared (by default) you can try to get access
    to that drive

    "Russ" wrote in message
    news:538d4090.0401251432.54b7b1a0@posting.google.c om...
    > I have two computers in my home office, 1 running Windows XP Pro and
    > the other running Windows 2000 Professional. They are both hooked up
    > to a Netgear router to access the broadband connection. I want the two
    > to now share files as well as a printer attached to the XP computer.
    > I've set them both to the same workgroup name and shared the drive on
    > the computers, but they don't seem to be able to see each other. Any
    > help would be appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Russ Askea
    > askear@yahoo.com

  4. Re: Networking Win 2K Pro to Win XP Pro

    explain what you mean by putting the IP Address in the trusted zone
    "taff" wrote in message
    newsfn8101qkvretqmk11ggh6e41epsr5uet4@4ax.com...
    > On 25 Jan 2004 14:32:49 -0800, askear@yahoo.com (Russ) wrote:
    >
    > >I have two computers in my home office, 1 running Windows XP Pro and
    > >the other running Windows 2000 Professional. They are both hooked up
    > >to a Netgear router to access the broadband connection. I want the two
    > >to now share files as well as a printer attached to the XP computer.
    > >I've set them both to the same workgroup name and shared the drive on
    > >the computers, but they don't seem to be able to see each other. Any
    > >help would be appreciated.
    > >
    > >Thanks
    > >Russ Askea
    > >askear@yahoo.com

    > if you have a firewall on either of the machines, ensure that you have
    > put the local IPs in the trusted zone.
    >
    > Taff.................
    >

    > www.sounds-pa.com | www.thecomputerworkshop.com

  5. Re: Networking Win 2K Pro to Win XP Pro

    This depends on which firewall that you use. But it means to allow all
    connections from, say 192.168.0.1 to the machine with the firewall.

    Taff..............

    On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 07:06:24 GMT, "Alphonso"
    wrote:

    >explain what you mean by putting the IP Address in the trusted zone
    >"taff" wrote in message
    >newsfn8101qkvretqmk11ggh6e41epsr5uet4@4ax.com...
    >> On 25 Jan 2004 14:32:49 -0800, askear@yahoo.com (Russ) wrote:
    >>
    >> >I have two computers in my home office, 1 running Windows XP Pro and
    >> >the other running Windows 2000 Professional. They are both hooked up
    >> >to a Netgear router to access the broadband connection. I want the two
    >> >to now share files as well as a printer attached to the XP computer.
    >> >I've set them both to the same workgroup name and shared the drive on
    >> >the computers, but they don't seem to be able to see each other. Any
    >> >help would be appreciated.
    >> >
    >> >Thanks
    >> >Russ Askea
    >> >askear@yahoo.com

    >> if you have a firewall on either of the machines, ensure that you have
    >> put the local IPs in the trusted zone.
    >>
    >> Taff.................
    >>

    >> www.sounds-pa.com | www.thecomputerworkshop.com

    www.sounds-pa.com | www.thecomputerworkshop.com

  6. Re: Networking Win 2K Pro to Win XP Pro

    ee
    "Alphonso" wrote in message
    > explain what you mean by putting the IP Address in the trusted zone
    > "taff" wrote in message
    > newsfn8101qkvretqmk11ggh6e41epsr5uet4@4ax.com...
    > > On 25 Jan 2004 14:32:49 -0800, askear@yahoo.com (Russ) wrote:
    > >
    > > >I have two computers in my home office, 1 running Windows XP Pro and
    > > >the other running Windows 2000 Professional. They are both hooked up
    > > >to a Netgear router to access the broadband connection. I want the two
    > > >to now share files as well as a printer attached to the XP computer.
    > > >I've set them both to the same workgroup name and shared the drive on
    > > >the computers, but they don't seem to be able to see each other. Any
    > > >help would be appreciated.
    > > >
    > > >Thanks
    > > >Russ Askea
    > > >askear@yahoo.com

    > > if you have a firewall on either of the machines, ensure that you have
    > > put the local IPs in the trusted zone.

    > > www.sounds-pa.com | www.thecomputerworkshop.com

+ Reply to Thread