Problem with simple network involving Linux handheld and Win98 PC - Network

This is a discussion on Problem with simple network involving Linux handheld and Win98 PC - Network ; Greetings. I've got a bit of a stumper on my hands. I know it's possible, because I've done it before. In short, what I'm trying to accomplish is to get my Sharp Zaurus SL-5500 Linux-based handheld to use my cable ...

  1. Problem with simple network involving Linux handheld and Win98 PC

    Greetings. I've got a bit of a stumper on my hands. I know it's possible,
    because I've done it before. In short, what I'm trying to accomplish is to
    get my Sharp Zaurus SL-5500 Linux-based handheld to use my cable internet
    connection through my Win98SE PC over an 802.11b ad-hoc connection, using
    Windows' Internet Connection Sharing feature. I'm using static IPs for the
    wireless connection (PC is 192.168.0.1, Zaurus is 192.168.0.2)

    Here's what works:
    PC pings Zaurus. (As well as anything on the internet)
    Zaurus pings PC, ISP's DNS servers and gateway.

    Nothing beyond the ISP appears to work. For example, I tried to ping
    www.google.com from the Zaurus. The name resolved fine, but none of the
    packets were returned. The same ping from my PC worked fine.

    I figure it has to be something on the handheld. This connection worked
    merely days ago, before I started messing with the Zaurus' software. (I've
    since reverted and am now using the same software that was working before.)
    Nothing has changed on the PC since then.

    Any ideas would be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    -David Murphy

  2. Re: Problem with simple network involving Linux handheld and Win98 PC

    More data, and some weirdness:

    I was sure I tried to ping other addresses before and they didn't work, but
    I tried again, and in fact I can ping www.yahoo.com and www.yourmom.com from
    the handheld! However, www.google.com was still a no-go, even though it
    could be pinged from the PC. Here's where the weirdness comes in...

    I looked a little more closely at the google pings, and discovered that
    www.google.com is resolving to a different address on the handheld
    (216.239.37.147) than it is on the PC (216.239.39.99). I thought I had a
    lead there, but as it turns out... the PC can ping both of those addresses,
    while the handheld can ping neither.

    What the heck is going on here?

    I'm installing Ethereal to see if I can find anything out from the packets,
    but I'm extremely inexpert at such things, so I'm not sure what I expect to
    learn.

    -David Murphy

    "David Murphy" wrote in message
    > Greetings. I've got a bit of a stumper on my hands. I know it's possible,
    > because I've done it before. In short, what I'm trying to accomplish is to
    > get my Sharp Zaurus SL-5500 Linux-based handheld to use my cable internet
    > connection through my Win98SE PC over an 802.11b ad-hoc connection, using
    > Windows' Internet Connection Sharing feature. I'm using static IPs for the
    > wireless connection (PC is 192.168.0.1, Zaurus is 192.168.0.2)
    >
    > Here's what works:
    > PC pings Zaurus. (As well as anything on the internet)
    > Zaurus pings PC, ISP's DNS servers and gateway.
    >
    > Nothing beyond the ISP appears to work. For example, I tried to ping
    > www.google.com from the Zaurus. The name resolved fine, but none of the
    > packets were returned. The same ping from my PC worked fine.
    >
    > I figure it has to be something on the handheld. This connection worked
    > merely days ago, before I started messing with the Zaurus' software. (I've
    > since reverted and am now using the same software that was working

    before.)
    > Nothing has changed on the PC since then.
    >
    > Any ideas would be appreciated.
    > Thanks,
    > -David Murphy

+ Reply to Thread