Wires to Wireless? - Network

This is a discussion on Wires to Wireless? - Network ; I have cables running in the house right now on a LinkSys router. I'm out of ports and need to add just one more computer so I was assuming a new router was in need. I don't know much about ...

  1. Wires to Wireless?

    I have cables running in the house right now on a LinkSys router. I'm out
    of ports and need to add just one more computer so I was assuming a new
    router was in need. I don't know much about networks except the basics
    though, so have some questions about the stuff I was looking through today.

    I read some brief stuff on "infrastructure wlans" which is using a wire
    network with wireless technology through just one of the ports? So, can I
    keep 3 of the computers on the "wires" and then use the last port for
    "wireless" and use that for my other 2 computers? Hell, if anyone could
    explain this whole "infrastructure wlan" concept to me I'd appriciate
    it...fixing computers I'm good, but I'm horrible with networking.

    Also, what are the security/interfearence issues with wlans? Way back when
    I bought my wired router wireless was brand new so I didn't go with it. I
    mean is the microwave in the kitchen and the wireless phones going to mess
    up my singnal?

    Thanks in advance,

    Smith

  2. Re: Wires to Wireless?

    I bought a 900 MHz phone because I had heard that the 2.4 gig phones
    can cause problems, that's just what I had heard.

  3. Re: Wires to Wireless?

    My 2.4G phone causes me to lose signal EVERYTIME. You are correct use
    a 900Mhz phone when around these wireless routers.

    bstrom@yahoo.com (Bill S.) wrote in message news:...
    > I bought a 900 MHz phone because I had heard that the 2.4 gig phones
    > can cause problems, that's just what I had heard.

  4. Re: Wires to Wireless?

    Okay. I think my chordless phone is only 1Ghz, I'll check though. I gotta
    check the microwave to...dunno about that one. I'm going to run the network
    part cable part wireless, only one machine is too far away so if I do have
    problems it won't mess everyone up.

    Thanks guys.

    Smith

    news:ab73b9f3.0401260820.1137627f@posting.google.c om...

    > > I bought a 900 MHz phone because I had heard that the 2.4 gig phones
    > > can cause problems, that's just what I had heard.

+ Reply to Thread