Different IP subnets? - Network

This is a discussion on Different IP subnets? - Network ; Hi all Having set up a lot of network-stuff I thought I understood how things are working. But now it seems like I didn'tů My ISP gave me the address 129.142.128.37 and a gateway address 129.142.122.1. But shouldn't the addresses ...

  1. Different IP subnets?

    Hi all

    Having set up a lot of network-stuff I thought I understood how things
    are working. But now it seems like I didn'tů

    My ISP gave me the address 129.142.128.37 and a gateway address
    129.142.122.1. But shouldn't the addresses be in the same area so that
    the first 3 segments are the same? If one have 129.142.128 and the
    other have 129.142.122 how can they talk?

    Thanks in advance

    Peter

  2. Re: Different IP subnets?

    hi there, man do you know the address class?
    like A, B, C, etc.
    so in A class first one segments should be same,
    and in Class B first Two segments, and in class C First three segmens
    should be same, sorry to say i can not give detail where from Classes
    start
    but i can give you rugh idea, like
    Class A
    1.x.x.x to 126.x.x.x

    Class B
    128.x.x.x to 191.x.x.x,

    and for Class C
    193.x.x.x to 223.x.x.x

    so your ip belong to class B and first two segmens are same, so that
    you can communicate with ur gateway thats very easy if you get it then
    its good other wise i thin i can not explain more then this, say thanx

    regard
    Syntex Error

  3. Re: Different IP subnets?

    sorry i forget to place subnet mask as i give detail nowhi there, man
    do you know the address class?
    like A, B, C, etc.
    so in A class first one segments should be same,
    and in Class B first Two segments, and in class C First three segmens
    should be same, sorry to say i can not give detail where from Classes
    start
    but i can give you rugh idea, like
    Class A
    IP 1.x.x.x to 126.x.x.x
    Mask 255.0.0.0
    Class B
    IP 128.x.x.x to 191.x.x.x,
    Mask 255.255.0.0
    and for Class C
    IP 193.x.x.x to 223.x.x.x
    Mask 255.255.255.0

    so your ip belong to class B and first two segmens are same, so that
    you can communicate with ur gateway thats very easy if you get it then
    its good other wise i thin i can not explain more then this, say thanx

    regard
    Syntex Error

  4. Re: Different IP subnets?

    peter.fleischer@myorange.dk (Peter Fleischer) wrote in message news:<450b8614.0401220522.708e5d7@posting.google.com>...
    > Hi all
    >
    > Having set up a lot of network-stuff I thought I understood how things
    > are working. But now it seems like I didn't?
    >
    > My ISP gave me the address 129.142.128.37 and a gateway address
    > 129.142.122.1. But shouldn't the addresses be in the same area so that
    > the first 3 segments are the same? If one have 129.142.128 and the
    > other have 129.142.122 how can they talk?
    >
    > Thanks in advance
    >
    > Peter

    Hi Peter.

    The first octect (8-bits) of your ip address is 129 which puts it in
    the Class B range of 128-191. For Class B addresses the subnet mask
    of 255.255.0.0 identifies the first 2 octects (129 and 142) as
    identifying the network address and the last two octets (128 and 37)
    as being your host (your computer) identifier.

    So really you are in the same network which is why you can talk, it's
    just a really big network. Class B networks (if not subnetted) can
    support up to 65,535 hosts.

    Hope this helps

  5. Re: Different IP subnets?

    To both answers of my question: Thanks - it cleared my misunderstandings.

    Peter

+ Reply to Thread