Linking two conventional ethernet hubs with WiFi - Network

This is a discussion on Linking two conventional ethernet hubs with WiFi - Network ; Hi all, I would like to extend my network to another part of the building where it's very difficult to run cables. Plenty of places show how to extend a traditional ethernet network to include WiFi. But is it a ...

  1. Linking two conventional ethernet hubs with WiFi

    Hi all,

    I would like to extend my network to another part of the building
    where it's very difficult to run cables.

    Plenty of places show how to extend a traditional ethernet network to
    include WiFi. But is it a reasonably simple task to extend a
    traditional ethernet network (based around a hub) to another hub (ie
    the WiFi acts as a straight link between two ethernet hubs)?

    Is it really as simple as setting up two peer-to-peer access points to
    act as the 'cable', or do I run into all sorts of problems doing this?

    Many thanks in advance.

  2. Re: Linking two conventional ethernet hubs with WiFi

    George Boyd Ratcliff wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I would like to extend my network to another part of the building
    > where it's very difficult to run cables.
    >
    > Plenty of places show how to extend a traditional ethernet network to
    > include WiFi. But is it a reasonably simple task to extend a
    > traditional ethernet network (based around a hub) to another hub (ie
    > the WiFi acts as a straight link between two ethernet hubs)?
    >
    > Is it really as simple as setting up two peer-to-peer access points to
    > act as the 'cable', or do I run into all sorts of problems doing this?
    >
    > Many thanks in advance.

    Use a couple of bridges. I have an area with a 5 hour firewall between.
    Standards do not allow penetrating a 5 hour firewall. I used two Linksys
    WET11s . Works fine. (Only problem I experienced was discovering that
    the WET11s needed to be set to ad hoc mode rather than infrastructure mode).

    Plug a bridge into each hub and your are set to go.

  3. Re: Linking two conventional ethernet hubs with WiFi

    "Jerry Park" wrote in message
    news:kNwPb.43064$R85.41930@bignews3.bellsouth.net. ..
    > George Boyd Ratcliff wrote:
    > > Hi all,
    > >
    > > I would like to extend my network to another part of the building
    > > where it's very difficult to run cables.
    > >
    > > Plenty of places show how to extend a traditional ethernet network to
    > > include WiFi. But is it a reasonably simple task to extend a
    > > traditional ethernet network (based around a hub) to another hub (ie
    > > the WiFi acts as a straight link between two ethernet hubs)?
    > >
    > > Is it really as simple as setting up two peer-to-peer access points to
    > > act as the 'cable', or do I run into all sorts of problems doing this?
    > >
    > > Many thanks in advance.

    > Use a couple of bridges. I have an area with a 5 hour firewall between.
    > Standards do not allow penetrating a 5 hour firewall. I used two Linksys
    > WET11s . Works fine. (Only problem I experienced was discovering that
    > the WET11s needed to be set to ad hoc mode rather than infrastructure

    mode).

    > Plug a bridge into each hub and your are set to go.

    Will a Linksys WET11 work with a Draytec Vigor 2600We?

    Chris

  4. Re: Linking two conventional ethernet hubs with WiFi

    Chris Watts wrote:
    > "Jerry Park" wrote in message
    > news:kNwPb.43064$R85.41930@bignews3.bellsouth.net. ..
    >
    >>George Boyd Ratcliff wrote:
    >>
    >>>Hi all,
    >>>
    >>>I would like to extend my network to another part of the building
    >>>where it's very difficult to run cables.
    >>>
    >>>Plenty of places show how to extend a traditional ethernet network to
    >>>include WiFi. But is it a reasonably simple task to extend a
    >>>traditional ethernet network (based around a hub) to another hub (ie
    >>>the WiFi acts as a straight link between two ethernet hubs)?
    >>>
    >>>Is it really as simple as setting up two peer-to-peer access points to
    >>>act as the 'cable', or do I run into all sorts of problems doing this?
    >>>
    >>>Many thanks in advance.

    >>Use a couple of bridges. I have an area with a 5 hour firewall between.
    >>Standards do not allow penetrating a 5 hour firewall. I used two Linksys
    >>WET11s . Works fine. (Only problem I experienced was discovering that
    >>the WET11s needed to be set to ad hoc mode rather than infrastructure

    > mode).
    >
    >>Plug a bridge into each hub and your are set to go.

    > Will a Linksys WET11 work with a Draytec Vigor 2600We?
    >
    > Chris

    I have no idea. Often, bridges only talk properly to other bridges of
    the same manufacturer.

  5. Re: Linking two conventional ethernet hubs with WiFi

    I used two LinkSys WAP11s to extend my wired network. I went from one
    of my hubs to one WAP11. The other WAP11 was 350 feet away in another
    building. I configured them in 'bridge mode'. It worked fine. I
    needed to fan out to 4 computers so just followed the WAP with a hub.

    I think you can buy Access Points that can be configured as a Client
    and that have a 4 port switch built right in.
    Good luck

+ Reply to Thread