Network problems with 2 routers - Network

This is a discussion on Network problems with 2 routers - Network ; Ok, i have a weird setup and I need some help. I have a D-link DI-604 router connected to my cable modem and to my main computer. The DI-604 is a DHPC server and it has assigned my main computer ...

  1. Network problems with 2 routers

    Ok, i have a weird setup and I need some help. I have a D-link DI-604
    router connected to my cable modem and to my main computer. The DI-604
    is a DHPC server and it has assigned my main computer an ip of
    192.168.0.100. The ip address of the DI-604 is 192.168.0.1. I ALSO
    have a US Robotics Wireless turbo G router (USR8054)connected to the
    DI-604. It has the DHCP server turned OFF and it is connected the
    DI-604 through its WAN port connected to one of the LAN ports on the
    DI-604. The DI-604 has assigned an IP address to the USR8054 of
    192.168.0.101. Now here is the tricky part, the USR8054 has a laptop
    connected to it with an IP address of 192.168.123.100. The laptop can
    surf the net and ping the main computer (192.168.0.100) PLUS it can
    ping both routers. The problem is the main computer cannot see the
    laptop on the network or ping it and the laptop cannot see the main
    computer on the network. All the computers and routers are set to the
    same domain name (mshome). So the question is WHY can't the laptop and
    maincomputer see each other on the network? Any ideas? I have even
    tried disabeling any firewalls on the computers and in the USR8054.
    Any help would be great appreciated, thank you.

  2. Re: Network problems with 2 routers

    192.168.0.n is an IP network
    192.168.123.n is a *different* IP network.
    Without an IP router, with a route table properly setup, between them they
    won't see each other.
    Your DI-604 will act as a router from any network to the internet, but I
    don't think it will route internal traffic for you.
    Obviously it isn't doing that... If you can't add a route to the DI-604 you
    may be able to add one to the laptop and/or the main computer.
    The simple solution is to put the laptop on the same logical network as the
    rest of your equipment.

    JON

    "Varroa" wrote in message
    news:909f4355.0401200514.727061e7@posting.google.c om...
    > Ok, i have a weird setup and I need some help. I have a D-link DI-604
    > router connected to my cable modem and to my main computer. The DI-604
    > is a DHPC server and it has assigned my main computer an ip of
    > 192.168.0.100. The ip address of the DI-604 is 192.168.0.1. I ALSO
    > have a US Robotics Wireless turbo G router (USR8054)connected to the
    > DI-604. It has the DHCP server turned OFF and it is connected the
    > DI-604 through its WAN port connected to one of the LAN ports on the
    > DI-604. The DI-604 has assigned an IP address to the USR8054 of
    > 192.168.0.101. Now here is the tricky part, the USR8054 has a laptop
    > connected to it with an IP address of 192.168.123.100. The laptop can
    > surf the net and ping the main computer (192.168.0.100) PLUS it can
    > ping both routers. The problem is the main computer cannot see the
    > laptop on the network or ping it and the laptop cannot see the main
    > computer on the network. All the computers and routers are set to the
    > same domain name (mshome). So the question is WHY can't the laptop and
    > maincomputer see each other on the network? Any ideas? I have even
    > tried disabeling any firewalls on the computers and in the USR8054.
    > Any help would be great appreciated, thank you.

  3. Re: Network problems with 2 routers

    Jon,

    Wouldn't that depend on the subnet mask? If the mask is set to
    255.255.255.0 you'd be correct. However, if he set the subnet mask of the
    router to 255.255.0.0 (assuming it accepts that or whatever other valid
    number you'd have that would include 0 and 1) it would all be one logical IP
    network.

    --Adam

    "Jon Kimball" wrote in message
    news:c4e9a0ecc7840e799baa68264b70b431@news.onlynew s.com...
    > 192.168.0.n is an IP network
    > 192.168.123.n is a *different* IP network.
    > Without an IP router, with a route table properly setup, between them they
    > won't see each other.
    > Your DI-604 will act as a router from any network to the internet, but I
    > don't think it will route internal traffic for you.
    > Obviously it isn't doing that... If you can't add a route to the DI-604

    you
    > may be able to add one to the laptop and/or the main computer.
    > The simple solution is to put the laptop on the same logical network as

    the
    > rest of your equipment.
    >
    > JON
    >
    > "Varroa" wrote in message
    > news:909f4355.0401200514.727061e7@posting.google.c om...
    > > Ok, i have a weird setup and I need some help. I have a D-link DI-604
    > > router connected to my cable modem and to my main computer. The DI-604
    > > is a DHPC server and it has assigned my main computer an ip of
    > > 192.168.0.100. The ip address of the DI-604 is 192.168.0.1. I ALSO
    > > have a US Robotics Wireless turbo G router (USR8054)connected to the
    > > DI-604. It has the DHCP server turned OFF and it is connected the
    > > DI-604 through its WAN port connected to one of the LAN ports on the
    > > DI-604. The DI-604 has assigned an IP address to the USR8054 of
    > > 192.168.0.101. Now here is the tricky part, the USR8054 has a laptop
    > > connected to it with an IP address of 192.168.123.100. The laptop can
    > > surf the net and ping the main computer (192.168.0.100) PLUS it can
    > > ping both routers. The problem is the main computer cannot see the
    > > laptop on the network or ping it and the laptop cannot see the main
    > > computer on the network. All the computers and routers are set to the
    > > same domain name (mshome). So the question is WHY can't the laptop and
    > > maincomputer see each other on the network? Any ideas? I have even
    > > tried disabeling any firewalls on the computers and in the USR8054.
    > > Any help would be great appreciated, thank you.

  4. Re: Network problems with 2 routers

    So do you mean set both the DI-604 and the Wireless router to
    255.255.0.0? Or just the DI-604? The DI-604 and main computer are on
    the 255.255.255.0 subnet mask, not sure about the wireless router and
    laptop. Which way are you suggesting? thanks!

    "Adam Steiner" wrote in message news:<00374fdaa3c7198a2d4ac342cdeba751@news.teranews.com>...
    > Jon,
    >
    > Wouldn't that depend on the subnet mask? If the mask is set to
    > 255.255.255.0 you'd be correct. However, if he set the subnet mask of the
    > router to 255.255.0.0 (assuming it accepts that or whatever other valid
    > number you'd have that would include 0 and 1) it would all be one logical IP
    > network.
    >
    > --Adam
    >
    > "Jon Kimball" wrote in message
    > news:c4e9a0ecc7840e799baa68264b70b431@news.onlynew s.com...
    > > 192.168.0.n is an IP network
    > > 192.168.123.n is a *different* IP network.
    > > Without an IP router, with a route table properly setup, between them they
    > > won't see each other.
    > > Your DI-604 will act as a router from any network to the internet, but I
    > > don't think it will route internal traffic for you.
    > > Obviously it isn't doing that... If you can't add a route to the DI-604

    > you
    > > may be able to add one to the laptop and/or the main computer.
    > > The simple solution is to put the laptop on the same logical network as

    > the
    > > rest of your equipment.
    > >
    > > JON
    > >
    > > "Varroa" wrote in message
    > > news:909f4355.0401200514.727061e7@posting.google.c om...
    > > > Ok, i have a weird setup and I need some help. I have a D-link DI-604
    > > > router connected to my cable modem and to my main computer. The DI-604
    > > > is a DHPC server and it has assigned my main computer an ip of
    > > > 192.168.0.100. The ip address of the DI-604 is 192.168.0.1. I ALSO
    > > > have a US Robotics Wireless turbo G router (USR8054)connected to the
    > > > DI-604. It has the DHCP server turned OFF and it is connected the
    > > > DI-604 through its WAN port connected to one of the LAN ports on the
    > > > DI-604. The DI-604 has assigned an IP address to the USR8054 of
    > > > 192.168.0.101. Now here is the tricky part, the USR8054 has a laptop
    > > > connected to it with an IP address of 192.168.123.100. The laptop can
    > > > surf the net and ping the main computer (192.168.0.100) PLUS it can
    > > > ping both routers. The problem is the main computer cannot see the
    > > > laptop on the network or ping it and the laptop cannot see the main
    > > > computer on the network. All the computers and routers are set to the
    > > > same domain name (mshome). So the question is WHY can't the laptop and
    > > > maincomputer see each other on the network? Any ideas? I have even
    > > > tried disabeling any firewalls on the computers and in the USR8054.
    > > > Any help would be great appreciated, thank you.

  5. Re: Network problems with 2 routers

    varroa@netzero.com (Varroa) wrote in message news:<909f4355.0401200514.727061e7@posting.google.com>...
    > Ok, i have a weird setup and I need some help. I have a D-link DI-604
    > router connected to my cable modem and to my main computer. The DI-604
    > is a DHPC server and it has assigned my main computer an ip of
    > 192.168.0.100. The ip address of the DI-604 is 192.168.0.1. I ALSO
    > have a US Robotics Wireless turbo G router (USR8054)connected to the
    > DI-604. It has the DHCP server turned OFF and it is connected the
    > DI-604 through its WAN port connected to one of the LAN ports on the
    > DI-604. The DI-604 has assigned an IP address to the USR8054 of
    > 192.168.0.101. Now here is the tricky part, the USR8054 has a laptop
    > connected to it with an IP address of 192.168.123.100. The laptop can
    > surf the net and ping the main computer (192.168.0.100) PLUS it can
    > ping both routers. The problem is the main computer cannot see the
    > laptop on the network or ping it and the laptop cannot see the main
    > computer on the network. All the computers and routers are set to the
    > same domain name (mshome). So the question is WHY can't the laptop and
    > maincomputer see each other on the network? Any ideas? I have even
    > tried disabeling any firewalls on the computers and in the USR8054.
    > Any help would be great appreciated, thank you.

    I think you just need to give the laptop a static IP address of
    192.168.0.x using any number for x from 1 to 255 except those that are
    already used, like 1, and 100. Try using 50. Set the subnet masks all
    to 255.255.255.0

    I did this very same thing you are doing with 2 d-link routers and it
    worked...one router was wire only connected to the dsl modem, the
    other was a wireless with 4 port switch.

+ Reply to Thread