Connecting a Switch and a Wireless Router - Network

This is a discussion on Connecting a Switch and a Wireless Router - Network ; I have DSL service through SBC Yahoo. From my modem, the ethernet cord goes to the uplink to the switch. The switch is a D-Link DI-604. From the switch, two jacks go directly to computers and then one jack goes ...

  1. Connecting a Switch and a Wireless Router

    I have DSL service through SBC Yahoo. From my modem, the ethernet
    cord goes to the uplink to the switch. The switch is a D-Link DI-604.
    From the switch, two jacks go directly to computers and then one jack
    goes to the uplink on the D-Link DI-614+. The computers connected
    directly to the switch work, however three computers connected to the
    wireless router do not. Here are my settings:

    D-Link DI-604 Switch:
    WAN: PPPOE
    LAN: 192.168.0.1
    DHCP: Start at 192.168.0.100 End at 192.168.0.105
    Static IP 192.168.0.100 for Wireless Router

    D-Link DI-614+ Wireless Router:
    WAN: Dynamic IP Address
    LAN: 192.168.0.100
    DHCP: Start at 192.168.0.125 End at 192.168.0.150

    Are there any settings that I should change or do I need a crossover
    cable?????

  2. Re: Connecting a Switch and a Wireless Router

    I could be wrong here but I spent Friday night trying to get my ADSL modem
    router talking to my Wireless router talking to my laptop / PC.

    Basically, I believe that if you

    a) Change the LAN of your switch to 10.0.0.x (and associated DHCP server
    settings) OR
    b) Change the LAN on your router to a 10.0.0.x address (and associated DHCP
    settings)

    it will work.

    I'm not a network engineer by any means but I believe the problem lies in
    the fact that you are using the same netnet for BOTH sides of your wireless
    router i.e. your LAN side is 192.168.0.x and the WAN side is 192.168.0.x.

    That's what got my stuff working on Friday as I was using 10.0.0.x addresses
    on both sides until I realised my mistake

    Anyone is more than welcome to prove me wrong though......
    "Brandon Smith" wrote in message
    news:1ce1290d.0401192138.7441bebc@posting.google.c om...
    > I have DSL service through SBC Yahoo. From my modem, the ethernet
    > cord goes to the uplink to the switch. The switch is a D-Link DI-604.
    > From the switch, two jacks go directly to computers and then one jack
    > goes to the uplink on the D-Link DI-614+. The computers connected
    > directly to the switch work, however three computers connected to the
    > wireless router do not. Here are my settings:
    >
    > D-Link DI-604 Switch:
    > WAN: PPPOE
    > LAN: 192.168.0.1
    > DHCP: Start at 192.168.0.100 End at 192.168.0.105
    > Static IP 192.168.0.100 for Wireless Router
    >
    > D-Link DI-614+ Wireless Router:
    > WAN: Dynamic IP Address
    > LAN: 192.168.0.100
    > DHCP: Start at 192.168.0.125 End at 192.168.0.150
    >
    > Are there any settings that I should change or do I need a crossover
    > cable?????

  3. Re: Connecting a Switch and a Wireless Router

    smitty547@go.com (Brandon Smith) wrote in message news:<1ce1290d.0401192138.7441bebc@posting.google.com>...
    > I have DSL service through SBC Yahoo. From my modem, the ethernet
    > cord goes to the uplink to the switch. The switch is a D-Link DI-604.
    > From the switch, two jacks go directly to computers and then one jack
    > goes to the uplink on the D-Link DI-614+. The computers connected
    > directly to the switch work, however three computers connected to the
    > wireless router do not. Here are my settings:
    >
    > D-Link DI-604 Switch:
    > WAN: PPPOE
    > LAN: 192.168.0.1
    > DHCP: Start at 192.168.0.100 End at 192.168.0.105
    > Static IP 192.168.0.100 for Wireless Router
    >
    > D-Link DI-614+ Wireless Router:
    > WAN: Dynamic IP Address
    > LAN: 192.168.0.100
    > DHCP: Start at 192.168.0.125 End at 192.168.0.150
    >
    > Are there any settings that I should change or do I need a crossover
    > cable?????

    The first box DI-604 is a router not a switch!!!! I messed up typing up this post.

  4. Re: Connecting a Switch and a Wireless Router

    My solution applies still...give it a go if you haven't already

    "Brandon Smith" wrote in message
    news:1ce1290d.0401200601.33e9d157@posting.google.c om...
    > smitty547@go.com (Brandon Smith) wrote in message

    > > I have DSL service through SBC Yahoo. From my modem, the ethernet
    > > cord goes to the uplink to the switch. The switch is a D-Link DI-604.
    > > From the switch, two jacks go directly to computers and then one jack
    > > goes to the uplink on the D-Link DI-614+. The computers connected
    > > directly to the switch work, however three computers connected to the
    > > wireless router do not. Here are my settings:
    > >
    > > D-Link DI-604 Switch:
    > > WAN: PPPOE
    > > LAN: 192.168.0.1
    > > DHCP: Start at 192.168.0.100 End at 192.168.0.105
    > > Static IP 192.168.0.100 for Wireless Router
    > >
    > > D-Link DI-614+ Wireless Router:
    > > WAN: Dynamic IP Address
    > > LAN: 192.168.0.100
    > > DHCP: Start at 192.168.0.125 End at 192.168.0.150
    > >
    > > Are there any settings that I should change or do I need a crossover
    > > cable?????

    > The first box DI-604 is a router not a switch!!!! I messed up typing up

    this post.

  5. Re: Connecting a Switch and a Wireless Router

    Thanks it worked!!!!!!!

+ Reply to Thread