LAN Network With DSL And Blocked Ports - Network

This is a discussion on LAN Network With DSL And Blocked Ports - Network ; I have a 9 pc network with a DSL connection. While all pc's can access the Internet via switch some games won't connect to multiplayer (namely Conquerors). I did some poking and found out that to connect to multiplayer, ports ...

  1. LAN Network With DSL And Blocked Ports

    I have a 9 pc network with a DSL connection. While all pc's can access
    the Internet via switch some games won't connect to multiplayer
    (namely Conquerors). I did some poking and found out that to connect
    to multiplayer, ports 80,443,6667 must be open. Port 80 is HTTP, 443
    HTTPS and 6667 is IRC. All IRC progs work and all websites can be
    accessed by all pc's. Still I run a diagnostics prog on the pc's and
    it shows those ports blocked. I have disabled the firewalls on both
    local and DSL connections and I still get those ports blocked. I read
    on the Microsoft Knowledge Database about how to open ports but it
    won't let me cause it says they are allready open and used.

    Any thoughts?

  2. Re: LAN Network With DSL And Blocked Ports

    AgamemnonTR wrote:
    > I have a 9 pc network with a DSL connection. While all pc's can access
    > the Internet via switch some games won't connect to multiplayer
    > (namely Conquerors). I did some poking and found out that to connect
    > to multiplayer, ports 80,443,6667 must be open. Port 80 is HTTP, 443
    > HTTPS and 6667 is IRC. All IRC progs work and all websites can be
    > accessed by all pc's. Still I run a diagnostics prog on the pc's and
    > it shows those ports blocked. I have disabled the firewalls on both
    > local and DSL connections and I still get those ports blocked. I read
    > on the Microsoft Knowledge Database about how to open ports but it
    > won't let me cause it says they are allready open and used.
    >
    > Any thoughts?

    Have you opened those ports on your router?

  3. Re: LAN Network With DSL And Blocked Ports

    Jerry Park wrote in message news:...

    > Have you opened those ports on your router?

    I don't have a router. all pc's are connected through a switch. before
    you ask, the DSL modem is also connected to the switch by separate
    cable...
    the switch doesn't have any intergrated firewalls.
    can the ports be blocked by the switch? if so, how can I open them?

  4. Re: LAN Network With DSL And Blocked Ports

    AgamemnonTR wrote:
    > Jerry Park wrote in message news:...
    >

    >>Have you opened those ports on your router?

    > I don't have a router. all pc's are connected through a switch. before
    > you ask, the DSL modem is also connected to the switch by separate
    > cable...
    > the switch doesn't have any intergrated firewalls.
    > can the ports be blocked by the switch? if so, how can I open them?

    What modem are you using? It may be a router too.

    For example, I'm using BellSouth's Westell modem. It is both a modem and
    a router. It can be set up in bridged mode to just provide modem
    services, but by default is is also a router.

  5. Re: LAN Network With DSL And Blocked Ports

    > For example, I'm using BellSouth's Westell modem. It is both a modem and
    > a router. It can be set up in bridged mode to just provide modem
    > services, but by default is is also a router.

    nope... no router. I kinda get the feeling that it must be a software
    thing. I mean I can use the HTTP and IRC protocols with no problems,
    but they still appear to be blocked...

  6. Re: LAN Network With DSL And Blocked Ports

    "AgamemnonTR" wrote in message
    news:cfc30227.0401201341.5d5e25c0@posting.google.c om...
    > > For example, I'm using BellSouth's Westell modem. It is both a modem and
    > > a router. It can be set up in bridged mode to just provide modem
    > > services, but by default is is also a router.

    > nope... no router. I kinda get the feeling that it must be a software
    > thing. I mean I can use the HTTP and IRC protocols with no problems,
    > but they still appear to be blocked...

    Most routers, esp the ones built into DSL modems will block attempts to
    initate an IP session. So you can Start a session on your end and THAT
    traffic is allowed through. If someone outside tries to send you something
    without being asked, they get blocked. So even though you can http and IRC
    from the inside, others from the outside who try to start a conversation,
    such as a game server, are blocked.
    It sure sounds like there is a hardware firewall in there somewhere...

    JON

  7. Re: LAN Network With DSL And Blocked Ports

    > Most routers, esp the ones built into DSL modems will block attempts to
    > initate an IP session. So you can Start a session on your end and THAT
    > traffic is allowed through. If someone outside tries to send you something
    > without being asked, they get blocked. So even though you can http and IRC
    > from the inside, others from the outside who try to start a conversation,
    > such as a game server, are blocked.
    > It sure sounds like there is a hardware firewall in there somewhere...
    >
    > JON

    yeah, but the thing is I've had the same settings for four months now
    and all was working fine. it suddently one day stopped connecting to
    games in msn zone. I didn't change any hardware or software settings.
    from what I've seen in forums all over the net, a lot of other people
    got the same problem with the same game about the time I got it too...
    I'm just about out of ideas here...

+ Reply to Thread