Help with crossover connection. - Network

This is a discussion on Help with crossover connection. - Network ; Greetings all, I'm struggling to get my desktop PC to talk to my laptop PC via a crossover cable. This should be easy I know but it does not seem to be. Ok the hardware & software. Packard Bell PC ...

  1. Help with crossover connection.

    Greetings all,

    I'm struggling to get my desktop PC to talk to my laptop PC via a
    crossover cable. This should be easy I know but it does not seem to
    be.

    Ok the hardware & software.

    Packard Bell PC with windows XP Pro
    BT Broadband ADSL connection (Green Frog type modem)
    Sony VAIO running XP Pro
    Both machines have 10/100 ethernet adaptors.
    Connection via crossover cable (I have tried a few).

    I ran the home networking wizard on the desktop without a problem.
    The network connection has created a network bridge. The log informed
    me that file & internet sharing had been enabled.

    Ran the network setup on the notebook, again no errors.

    On the notebook I tried browsing the 'Computer near me' and get the
    following error...

    Workgroup is not accessaible. You might not have permission to use
    this network service. If I try the web browser I get message saying
    no connection is available and o I wish to work offline. A small
    banner popped out from just above the taksbar & tray saying
    "Protecting connection to new network on adaptor (MAC Bridge Port)"

    Not sure what else you need to know. The PC has an IP address of
    192.168.0.1 defined by TCP/IP in the network bridge & the notebook
    does not have an IP address. Both PCs use the MSHOME workgroup

    Can anyone point out the obvious?

    Thanks in advance

    Dave.

  2. Re: Help with crossover connection.

    On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 19:53:40 +0000, blah@blaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah.com
    wrote:

    >Greetings all,
    >
    >I'm struggling to get my desktop PC to talk to my laptop PC via a
    >crossover cable. This should be easy I know but it does not seem to
    >be.
    >
    >Ok the hardware & software.
    >
    > Packard Bell PC with windows XP Pro
    > BT Broadband ADSL connection (Green Frog type modem)
    > Sony VAIO running XP Pro
    > Both machines have 10/100 ethernet adaptors.
    > Connection via crossover cable (I have tried a few).
    >
    >I ran the home networking wizard on the desktop without a problem.
    >The network connection has created a network bridge. The log informed
    >me that file & internet sharing had been enabled.
    >
    >Ran the network setup on the notebook, again no errors.
    >
    >On the notebook I tried browsing the 'Computer near me' and get the
    >following error...
    >
    >Workgroup is not accessaible. You might not have permission to use
    >this network service. If I try the web browser I get message saying
    >no connection is available and o I wish to work offline. A small
    >banner popped out from just above the taksbar & tray saying
    >"Protecting connection to new network on adaptor (MAC Bridge Port)"
    >
    >Not sure what else you need to know. The PC has an IP address of
    >192.168.0.1 defined by TCP/IP in the network bridge & the notebook
    >does not have an IP address. Both PCs use the MSHOME workgroup
    >
    >Can anyone point out the obvious?
    >
    >Thanks in advance
    >
    > Dave.

    Set the desktop to 192.168.0.1 subnet mask 255.255.255.0
    Set the laptop to 192.168.0.2 subnet mask 255.255.255.0

    Set default gateway to 192.168.0.1

    Put both machines in the same workgroup, with different machine names.

    That should be it.
    Taff.........

    www.sounds-pa.com | www.thecomputerworkshop.com

  3. Re: Help with crossover connection.

    Just rebooted the laptop & the IP address as defined by the
    bridge is 192.168.0.2 , which is an increment of 1 from the desktop.
    The wizard must have set this as I did not. The subnet mask is
    255.255.255.0 on both.

    I can ping the desktop from the laptop but not the other way around.
    Still no joy on the internet sharing though.

    wrote:

    >Greetings all,
    >
    >I'm struggling to get my desktop PC to talk to my laptop PC via a
    >crossover cable. This should be easy I know but it does not seem to
    >be.
    >
    >Ok the hardware & software.
    >
    > Packard Bell PC with windows XP Pro
    > BT Broadband ADSL connection (Green Frog type modem)
    > Sony VAIO running XP Pro
    > Both machines have 10/100 ethernet adaptors.
    > Connection via crossover cable (I have tried a few).
    >
    >I ran the home networking wizard on the desktop without a problem.
    >The network connection has created a network bridge. The log informed
    >me that file & internet sharing had been enabled.
    >
    >Ran the network setup on the notebook, again no errors.
    >
    >On the notebook I tried browsing the 'Computer near me' and get the
    >following error...
    >
    >Workgroup is not accessaible. You might not have permission to use
    >this network service. If I try the web browser I get message saying
    >no connection is available and o I wish to work offline. A small
    >banner popped out from just above the taksbar & tray saying
    >"Protecting connection to new network on adaptor (MAC Bridge Port)"
    >
    >Not sure what else you need to know. The PC has an IP address of
    >192.168.0.1 defined by TCP/IP in the network bridge & the notebook
    >does not have an IP address. Both PCs use the MSHOME workgroup
    >
    >Can anyone point out the obvious?
    >
    >Thanks in advance
    >
    > Dave.

  4. Re: Help with crossover connection.

    wrote in message
    > Greetings all,
    >
    > I'm struggling to get my desktop PC to talk to my laptop PC via a
    > crossover cable. This should be easy I know but it does not seem to
    > be.
    >
    > Ok the hardware & software.
    >
    > Packard Bell PC with windows XP Pro
    > BT Broadband ADSL connection (Green Frog type modem)
    > Sony VAIO running XP Pro
    > Both machines have 10/100 ethernet adaptors.
    > Connection via crossover cable (I have tried a few).
    >
    > I ran the home networking wizard on the desktop without a problem.
    > The network connection has created a network bridge. The log informed
    > me that file & internet sharing had been enabled.
    >
    > Ran the network setup on the notebook, again no errors.
    >
    > On the notebook I tried browsing the 'Computer near me' and get the
    > following error...
    >
    > Workgroup is not accessaible. You might not have permission to use
    > this network service. If I try the web browser I get message saying
    > no connection is available and o I wish to work offline. A small
    > banner popped out from just above the taksbar & tray saying
    > "Protecting connection to new network on adaptor (MAC Bridge Port)"
    >
    > Not sure what else you need to know. The PC has an IP address of
    > 192.168.0.1 defined by TCP/IP in the network bridge & the notebook
    > does not have an IP address. Both PCs use the MSHOME workgroup
    >
    > Can anyone point out the obvious?
    >
    > Thanks in advance
    >
    > Dave.

    I would also check the speed and duplex settings for the network cards. They
    are usually set to 'Auto' by default but this will not work with a crossover
    cable. You need to specifically set them both to be the same, for example,
    100 Mbps Half Duplex.

    Stace.

  5. Re: Help with crossover connection.

    Hi,

    #1 is 192.168.0.1 255.255.255.0 perth MSHOME
    #2 is 192.168.0.2 255.255.255.0 GR114MK MSHOME

    Still no luck though. I have shared the C drive on both machines.

    Dave.

    On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 19:59:12 +0000, taff wrote:

    >On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 19:53:40 +0000, blah@blaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah.com
    >wrote:
    >
    >>Greetings all,
    >>
    >>I'm struggling to get my desktop PC to talk to my laptop PC via a
    >>crossover cable. This should be easy I know but it does not seem to
    >>be.
    >>
    >>Ok the hardware & software.
    >>
    >> Packard Bell PC with windows XP Pro
    >> BT Broadband ADSL connection (Green Frog type modem)
    >> Sony VAIO running XP Pro
    >> Both machines have 10/100 ethernet adaptors.
    >> Connection via crossover cable (I have tried a few).
    >>
    >>I ran the home networking wizard on the desktop without a problem.
    >>The network connection has created a network bridge. The log informed
    >>me that file & internet sharing had been enabled.
    >>
    >>Ran the network setup on the notebook, again no errors.
    >>
    >>On the notebook I tried browsing the 'Computer near me' and get the
    >>following error...
    >>
    >>Workgroup is not accessaible. You might not have permission to use
    >>this network service. If I try the web browser I get message saying
    >>no connection is available and o I wish to work offline. A small
    >>banner popped out from just above the taksbar & tray saying
    >>"Protecting connection to new network on adaptor (MAC Bridge Port)"
    >>
    >>Not sure what else you need to know. The PC has an IP address of
    >>192.168.0.1 defined by TCP/IP in the network bridge & the notebook
    >>does not have an IP address. Both PCs use the MSHOME workgroup
    >>
    >>Can anyone point out the obvious?
    >>
    >>Thanks in advance
    >>
    >> Dave.
    >>

    >Set the desktop to 192.168.0.1 subnet mask 255.255.255.0
    >Set the laptop to 192.168.0.2 subnet mask 255.255.255.0
    >
    >Set default gateway to 192.168.0.1
    >
    >Put both machines in the same workgroup, with different machine names.
    >
    >That should be it.
    >Taff.........
    >

    >www.sounds-pa.com | www.thecomputerworkshop.com

  6. Re: Help with crossover connection.

    Do you have the firewall enabled on the desktop machine??
    If so allow access from 192.168.0.2 through the firewall

    Taff........

    On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 20:21:24 +0000, blah@blaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah.com
    wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >#1 is 192.168.0.1 255.255.255.0 perth MSHOME
    >#2 is 192.168.0.2 255.255.255.0 GR114MK MSHOME
    >
    >Still no luck though. I have shared the C drive on both machines.
    >
    >Dave.
    >

    >On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 19:59:12 +0000, taff wrote:
    >
    >>On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 19:53:40 +0000, blah@blaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah.com
    >>wrote:
    >>
    >>>Greetings all,
    >>>
    >>>I'm struggling to get my desktop PC to talk to my laptop PC via a
    >>>crossover cable. This should be easy I know but it does not seem to
    >>>be.
    >>>
    >>>Ok the hardware & software.
    >>>
    >>> Packard Bell PC with windows XP Pro
    >>> BT Broadband ADSL connection (Green Frog type modem)
    >>> Sony VAIO running XP Pro
    >>> Both machines have 10/100 ethernet adaptors.
    >>> Connection via crossover cable (I have tried a few).
    >>>
    >>>I ran the home networking wizard on the desktop without a problem.
    >>>The network connection has created a network bridge. The log informed
    >>>me that file & internet sharing had been enabled.
    >>>
    >>>Ran the network setup on the notebook, again no errors.
    >>>
    >>>On the notebook I tried browsing the 'Computer near me' and get the
    >>>following error...
    >>>
    >>>Workgroup is not accessaible. You might not have permission to use
    >>>this network service. If I try the web browser I get message saying
    >>>no connection is available and o I wish to work offline. A small
    >>>banner popped out from just above the taksbar & tray saying
    >>>"Protecting connection to new network on adaptor (MAC Bridge Port)"
    >>>
    >>>Not sure what else you need to know. The PC has an IP address of
    >>>192.168.0.1 defined by TCP/IP in the network bridge & the notebook
    >>>does not have an IP address. Both PCs use the MSHOME workgroup
    >>>
    >>>Can anyone point out the obvious?
    >>>
    >>>Thanks in advance
    >>>
    >>> Dave.
    >>>

    >>Set the desktop to 192.168.0.1 subnet mask 255.255.255.0
    >>Set the laptop to 192.168.0.2 subnet mask 255.255.255.0
    >>
    >>Set default gateway to 192.168.0.1
    >>
    >>Put both machines in the same workgroup, with different machine names.
    >>
    >>That should be it.
    >>Taff.........
    >>

    >>www.sounds-pa.com | www.thecomputerworkshop.com

    www.sounds-pa.com | www.thecomputerworkshop.com

  7. Re: Help with crossover connection.

    On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 20:12:18 -0000, "Stace"
    wrote:

    >I would also check the speed and duplex settings for the network cards. They
    >are usually set to 'Auto' by default but this will not work with a crossover
    >cable. You need to specifically set them both to be the same, for example,
    >100 Mbps Half Duplex.
    >
    >Stace.

    Hi,

    Yes they where both both set to auto-detect. Set them both to 100
    half duplex and then both at 100 full duplex - still laptop can ping
    desktop but not the other way around.

    Cheers
    Dave

  8. Re: Help with crossover connection.

    Howdy!

    wrote in message
    > Greetings all,
    >
    > I'm struggling to get my desktop PC to talk to my laptop PC via a
    > crossover cable. This should be easy I know but it does not seem to
    > be.

    Not all network interfaces work with a cross over cable.

    > Ok the hardware & software.
    >
    > Packard Bell PC with windows XP Pro
    > BT Broadband ADSL connection (Green Frog type modem)
    > Sony VAIO running XP Pro
    > Both machines have 10/100 ethernet adaptors.
    > Connection via crossover cable (I have tried a few).
    >
    > I ran the home networking wizard on the desktop without a problem.
    > The network connection has created a network bridge. The log informed
    > me that file & internet sharing had been enabled.
    >
    > Ran the network setup on the notebook, again no errors.
    >
    > On the notebook I tried browsing the 'Computer near me' and get the
    > following error...
    >
    > Workgroup is not accessaible. You might not have permission to use
    > this network service. If I try the web browser I get message saying
    > no connection is available and o I wish to work offline. A small
    > banner popped out from just above the taksbar & tray saying
    > "Protecting connection to new network on adaptor (MAC Bridge Port)"
    >
    > Not sure what else you need to know. The PC has an IP address of
    > 192.168.0.1 defined by TCP/IP in the network bridge & the notebook
    > does not have an IP address. Both PCs use the MSHOME workgroup

    Err - Let's see. "My phone number is XXXX, the other telephone
    doesn't have a phone number. Why can't I call it?"

    Try picking up a cheap hub or switch, and a pair of regular cables,
    to see if it's the "Deadlock of Sleep" problem some NICs have.

    That is, one machine wakes up, goes, "Is anyone there?", gets no
    response, and goes back to sleep.

    The SECOND machine then wakes up, goes "Is anyone there?" gets no
    response, and goes back to sleep.

    So neither network interface is running ...

    > Can anyone point out the obvious?

    Might need to try assigning, say, 192.168.0.3 with a netmask of
    255.255.255.0 on the laptop, to see if it's just a problem with pulling an
    IP.

    RwP

  9. Re: Help with crossover connection.

    On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 20:29:48 -0600, "Ralph Wade Phillips"
    wrote:

    >> Not sure what else you need to know. The PC has an IP address of
    >> 192.168.0.1 defined by TCP/IP in the network bridge & the notebook
    >> does not have an IP address. Both PCs use the MSHOME workgroup

    > Err - Let's see. "My phone number is XXXX, the other telephone
    >doesn't have a phone number. Why can't I call it?"

    Fair point.

    > Try picking up a cheap hub or switch, and a pair of regular cables,
    >to see if it's the "Deadlock of Sleep" problem some NICs have.
    >
    > That is, one machine wakes up, goes, "Is anyone there?", gets no
    >response, and goes back to sleep.
    >
    > The SECOND machine then wakes up, goes "Is anyone there?" gets no
    >response, and goes back to sleep.
    >
    > So neither network interface is running ...
    >

    >> Can anyone point out the obvious?

    > Might need to try assigning, say, 192.168.0.3 with a netmask of
    >255.255.255.0 on the laptop, to see if it's just a problem with pulling an
    >IP.
    >
    > RwP

    Ok I can pick up a switch for about 35. Will the settings be pretty
    much the same if I use a switch and regular CAT5e cables?

    Rgds,
    Dave

  10. Re: Help with crossover connection.

    On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 20:32:56 +0000, taff wrote:

    >Do you have the firewall enabled on the desktop machine??
    >If so allow access from 192.168.0.2 through the firewall
    >
    >Taff........

    Got Norton Personal Firewall on the PC. I have disabled it and am now
    able to to ping in each direction but still each PC cannot see each
    others drives. View workgroup computers only shows the local PC.

    Dave.

  11. Re: Help with crossover connection.

    On Thu, 15 Jan 2004 19:32:21 +0000, blah@blaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah.com
    wrote:

    >On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 20:32:56 +0000, taff wrote:
    >
    >>Do you have the firewall enabled on the desktop machine??
    >>If so allow access from 192.168.0.2 through the firewall
    >>
    >>Taff........

    >Got Norton Personal Firewall on the PC. I have disabled it and am now
    >able to to ping in each direction but still each PC cannot see each
    >others drives. View workgroup computers only shows the local PC.
    >
    >Dave.

    Have you enabled sharing of each drive on the 2 machines, or at least
    enabled sharing of the folders that you want to use.

    Taff.........

    www.sounds-pa.com | www.thecomputerworkshop.com

  12. Re: Help with crossover connection.

    On Thu, 15 Jan 2004 21:52:45 +0000, taff wrote:

    >On Thu, 15 Jan 2004 19:32:21 +0000, blah@blaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah.com
    >wrote:
    >
    >>On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 20:32:56 +0000, taff wrote:
    >>
    >>>Do you have the firewall enabled on the desktop machine??
    >>>If so allow access from 192.168.0.2 through the firewall
    >>>
    >>>Taff........

    >>Got Norton Personal Firewall on the PC. I have disabled it and am now
    >>able to to ping in each direction but still each PC cannot see each
    >>others drives. View workgroup computers only shows the local PC.
    >>
    >>Dave.

    >Have you enabled sharing of each drive on the 2 machines, or at least
    >enabled sharing of the folders that you want to use.

    OK sorry, I see you have already answered that.
    Right, back to, have you turned off the firewalls on both machines.
    Since they are running XP they have inbuilt firewalls, these are
    normally turned off by default, but a check would be worthwhile.
    If both machines are in the same workgroup and are set up as you
    said in the first answer, I am confused as to why it will not work.

    You say that you can now ping each machine. Is this by IP, name or
    both.

    Taff..............

    www.sounds-pa.com | www.thecomputerworkshop.com

  13. Re: Help with crossover connection.

    Hi Taff,

    Yes just remembered that the MS built in firewall is enabled on the
    desktop PC. I had to turn it on as I immediately got a virus/worm
    that caused shut when I first connected to the net.

    I'm using the IP addresses to when pinging each machine.

    I'll try again with it turned off tommorrow. Appreciate your help.

    Cheers
    Dave.

    >>Have you enabled sharing of each drive on the 2 machines, or at least
    >>enabled sharing of the folders that you want to use.
    >>

    >OK sorry, I see you have already answered that.
    >Right, back to, have you turned off the firewalls on both machines.
    >Since they are running XP they have inbuilt firewalls, these are
    >normally turned off by default, but a check would be worthwhile.
    > If both machines are in the same workgroup and are set up as you
    >said in the first answer, I am confused as to why it will not work.
    >
    >You say that you can now ping each machine. Is this by IP, name or
    >both.
    >
    >Taff..............
    >

    >www.sounds-pa.com | www.thecomputerworkshop.com

  14. Re: Help with crossover connection.

    Cross Over:
    NO DHCP
    If no Internet, give both machines a static IP in the same subnet ie.
    192.168.1.11 and 192.168.1.12
    Then make sure that the GUEST account and NETWORK account is enabled
    ant NO RED X is on it.

    If older operating systems then file and print sharing needs to be
    enabled under network tab.
    If XP try going to add network places and ad the IP address of the
    other machine in typical format

    //192.168.1.whatever/name of shared directory

    "Stace" wrote in message news:...
    > wrote in message
    > > Greetings all,
    > >
    > > I'm struggling to get my desktop PC to talk to my laptop PC via a
    > > crossover cable. This should be easy I know but it does not seem to
    > > be.
    > >
    > > Ok the hardware & software.
    > >
    > > Packard Bell PC with windows XP Pro
    > > BT Broadband ADSL connection (Green Frog type modem)
    > > Sony VAIO running XP Pro
    > > Both machines have 10/100 ethernet adaptors.
    > > Connection via crossover cable (I have tried a few).
    > >
    > > I ran the home networking wizard on the desktop without a problem.
    > > The network connection has created a network bridge. The log informed
    > > me that file & internet sharing had been enabled.
    > >
    > > Ran the network setup on the notebook, again no errors.
    > >
    > > On the notebook I tried browsing the 'Computer near me' and get the
    > > following error...
    > >
    > > Workgroup is not accessaible. You might not have permission to use
    > > this network service. If I try the web browser I get message saying
    > > no connection is available and o I wish to work offline. A small
    > > banner popped out from just above the taksbar & tray saying
    > > "Protecting connection to new network on adaptor (MAC Bridge Port)"
    > >
    > > Not sure what else you need to know. The PC has an IP address of
    > > 192.168.0.1 defined by TCP/IP in the network bridge & the notebook
    > > does not have an IP address. Both PCs use the MSHOME workgroup
    > >
    > > Can anyone point out the obvious?
    > >
    > > Thanks in advance
    > >
    > > Dave.
    > >

    > I would also check the speed and duplex settings for the network cards. They
    > are usually set to 'Auto' by default but this will not work with a crossover
    > cable. You need to specifically set them both to be the same, for example,
    > 100 Mbps Half Duplex.
    >
    > Stace.

  15. Re: Help with crossover connection.

    Yep that seems to have been the problem, can see shared folders from
    both machines now.

    Cheers,
    Dave.

    On Thu, 15 Jan 2004 22:25:04 +0000, taff wrote:

    >On Thu, 15 Jan 2004 21:52:45 +0000, taff wrote:
    >
    >>On Thu, 15 Jan 2004 19:32:21 +0000, blah@blaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah.com
    >>wrote:

    >>>Got Norton Personal Firewall on the PC. I have disabled it and am now
    >>>able to to ping in each direction but still each PC cannot see each
    >>>others drives. View workgroup computers only shows the local PC.
    >>>
    >>>Dave.

    >>Have you enabled sharing of each drive on the 2 machines, or at least
    >>enabled sharing of the folders that you want to use.
    >>

    >OK sorry, I see you have already answered that.
    >Right, back to, have you turned off the firewalls on both machines.
    >Since they are running XP they have inbuilt firewalls, these are
    >normally turned off by default, but a check would be worthwhile.
    > If both machines are in the same workgroup and are set up as you
    >said in the first answer, I am confused as to why it will not work.
    >
    >You say that you can now ping each machine. Is this by IP, name or
    >both.

    >www.sounds-pa.com | www.thecomputerworkshop.com

+ Reply to Thread