OSI Layer Question - Network

This is a discussion on OSI Layer Question - Network ; Hi all, It has been sometime since I'm reading about OSI layer. I read that one layer does this, other layer does some other thing etc. But I'm not able to comprehend how this translates when implementing in a program ...

  1. OSI Layer Question

    Hi all,
    It has been sometime since I'm reading about OSI layer. I read that
    one layer does this, other layer does some other thing etc. But I'm
    not able to comprehend how this translates when implementing in a
    program ? I have not seen a book or website in which an author gives
    an example program of the implementation of the layer he/she
    discusses. All the theory I read is very abstract to me. Can someone
    point me to some help ( a link or a good book ) ?

    Thanks,
    -Vengidi

  2. Re: OSI Layer Question

    hi there,
    better to take a look at www.cisco.com i hope you will find some good
    matarial over there.

  3. Re: OSI Layer Question

    Are you trying to understand this for a specific purpose?
    If so state it.
    Do you want to understand it in general?
    If so I will e-mail you a functional diag from our company that
    designs courses for universities.

    venkatk_78@yahoo.com (Venkatesan) wrote in message news:<2de13727.0401140453.f9c0d0b@posting.google.com>...
    > Hi all,
    > It has been sometime since I'm reading about OSI layer. I read that
    > one layer does this, other layer does some other thing etc. But I'm
    > not able to comprehend how this translates when implementing in a
    > program ? I have not seen a book or website in which an author gives
    > an example program of the implementation of the layer he/she
    > discusses. All the theory I read is very abstract to me. Can someone
    > point me to some help ( a link or a good book ) ?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > -Vengidi

  4. Re: OSI Layer Question

    Thanks. I want to understand it in general.
    -Vengidi

    john@networktroubleshooters.com (John@networktroubleshooters.com) wrote in message news:<60859ed8.0401160007.1c955f49@posting.google.com>...
    > Are you trying to understand this for a specific purpose?
    > If so state it.
    > Do you want to understand it in general?
    > If so I will e-mail you a functional diag from our company that
    > designs courses for universities.
    >
    > venkatk_78@yahoo.com (Venkatesan) wrote in message news:<2de13727.0401140453.f9c0d0b@posting.google.com>...
    > > Hi all,
    > > It has been sometime since I'm reading about OSI layer. I read that
    > > one layer does this, other layer does some other thing etc. But I'm
    > > not able to comprehend how this translates when implementing in a
    > > program ? I have not seen a book or website in which an author gives
    > > an example program of the implementation of the layer he/she
    > > discusses. All the theory I read is very abstract to me. Can someone
    > > point me to some help ( a link or a good book ) ?
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > > -Vengidi

+ Reply to Thread