different between Acess point and a router? - Network

This is a discussion on different between Acess point and a router? - Network ; hi I am new for networking, I am trying to build a wireless network and sharing internet but I got confusesed between Access point and a router and body there help and tell me what's the different and which one ...

  1. different between Acess point and a router?

    hi

    I am new for networking, I am trying to build a wireless network and sharing internet but I got confusesed between Access point and a router and body there help and tell me what's the different and which one I got to choose?

    thanks

    mouad
    m.alhashedi@btinternet.com

  2. Re: different between Acess point and a router?

    mouad wrote:
    > hi
    >
    > I am new for networking, I am trying to build a wireless network and
    > sharing internet but I got confusesed between Access point and a router
    > and body there help and tell me what's the different and which one I got
    > to choose?
    >
    > thanks
    >
    > mouad
    > m.alhashedi@btinternet.com

    A router is a device used to join networks. A router usually has a DHCP
    server, may have multiple ethernet ports for connecting computers, etc.,
    can maintain various types of connections to the Internet (operating
    a modem with various connection protocols), can route connections to
    other routers based on instruction in a routing table, and may contain a
    firewall.

    An access point is a device used to connect wireless devices. The access
    point is the 'base station' the multiple wireless devices can connect to.

    Some devices are both routers and access points.

    If you have a router, you can plug an access point into one of its
    ethernet ports. Then you essentially have what you would have if you had
    a combination router/access point.

+ Reply to Thread