I hope this is the right group for this question? I have a home network
with a linksys switcher that I've run for 2 years now. I have installed all
the protocols myself.

The other day I noticed that Microsoft PPP over ATM adapter was in my
network on just one of the pc's. I am not an expert on networking and don't
even know what this is used for. My network works fine and none of the
other machines have this installed.

Would some software (or worse spyware) I have installed have needed this?
The only thing I can think of is the digital camera software I recently
installed may have needed this protocol.

Can someone give me brief explanation of what this does and what might
happen if I uninstall it?

Thanks