Problems with segments - Network

This is a discussion on Problems with segments - Network ; My network is comprised of one subnet but several segments (as I understand it). The configuration is as follows: +----------+ | Internet | +----+-----+ | OUTSIDE +----+----------+ | Pix 501 (Rtr) | --------boundary-------- +----+----------+ | INSIDE (192.168.0.*) Mask 255.255.255.0 +----+-----+ ...

  1. Problems with segments

    My network is comprised of one subnet but several segments (as I understand
    it).

    The configuration is as follows:

    +----------+
    | Internet |
    +----+-----+
    +----+----------+
    +----+----------+
    | INSIDE (192.168.0.*) Mask 255.255.255.0
    +----+-----+
    | Switch |
    +-+------+-+
    | |
    +-+----+ +------+
    | PC A | | Hub |
    +------+ +-+----+----+
    | |
    +-+----+ +--+-----+
    | PC B | | C5100N |
    +------+ +--------+

    PC A and PC B actually stand for groups of PCs (so its not a one off).

    PC A can ping PC B (and vice versa)

    PC B can ping C5100N (and print to it)

    PC A CANNOT ping C5100N despite the fact that it can ping PC B.

    This makes me think that there is some funny behaviour with the printer
    (since it doesn't behave like all the other devices (PCs) that are connected
    to the Hub).

    I hope I haven't got the wrong definition of segment ( i think a segment is
    a single collision area). As I understand it PC A is in a different segment
    from PC B and the C5100N, but is in the same subnet.

    Can anyone think of a reason for this happening other than the printer being
    broken?

    TIA,

    John

  2. Re: Problems with segments

    Check for duplicate IP address use somewhere in your
    network. Another possibility is half duplex/full duplex
    configuration. When you are using a Hub, make sure that
    the links connected to the Hub are half duplex.

    Sandeep
    --
    http://www.EventHelix.com/EventStudio
    EventStudio 2.0 - Generate Protocol Sequence Diagrams in PDF

  3. Re: Problems with segments

    "EventHelix.com" wrote in message
    news:566e2bfb.0401080355.10b18150@posting.google.c om...
    > Check for duplicate IP address use somewhere in your
    > network. Another possibility is half duplex/full duplex
    > configuration. When you are using a Hub, make sure that
    > the links connected to the Hub are half duplex.
    >
    > Sandeep
    > --
    > http://www.EventHelix.com/EventStudio
    > EventStudio 2.0 - Generate Protocol Sequence Diagrams in PDF

    OK, I'll do that. But wouldn't that stop all of the PCs connected to the hub
    from being pinged rather than just the printer?

    John

  4. Re: Problems with segments

    > OK, I'll do that. But wouldn't that stop all of the PCs connected to the hub
    > from being pinged rather than just the printer?

    The network can behave in a strange way when duplicate IP addresses are
    defined. Timing of the duplicate messages might lead to the
    network not responding to ping in some cases.

    Sandeep
    --
    http://www.EventHelix.com/EventStudio
    EventStudio 2.0 - System Architecture Design CASE Tool

+ Reply to Thread