sharing files and folders on a network - Network

This is a discussion on sharing files and folders on a network - Network ; I have been using a software firewall on both of my systems a windows xp and windows 98 se, which I have networked, the router is a d-link DI -604 , do I need both the software firewalls, and the ...

  1. sharing files and folders on a network

    I have been using a software firewall on both of my systems a windows xp
    and windows 98 se, which I have networked, the router is a d-link DI -604
    , do I need both the software firewalls, and the hardware firewall from the
    router to stop intrusions into my systems .

    Also I can not share the files or printers on the host
    computer, but I can share the files and printers on the guest computer, when
    I open up my network places I can see the connections on the other system

    windows 98se, but when I open up network neighborhood in win.98 Se to
    share the files and printers on the host computer , win. xp, I get an error
    unable to browse the network.. Can someone help me with this. I have
    disabled the software firewalls on both system, and also win xp build in
    firewall, but I still can not share folders on win. xp.

    Alphonso.

    P.S , I have no problem with the internet connection sharing on the
    other system.

  2. Re: sharing files and folders on a network

    If I remember this right, Network Neighborhood uses the old NetBEUI
    protocol that was the standard protocol on Win 9x. On Windows XP, this
    is not installed by default so you will have to go and install it from
    your installation CD. Internet Connection Sharing will not be affected
    because it uses TCP/IP. Network Neighborhood is a peer-to-peer
    networking program which commonly uses NetBEUI. Hope this gets you
    sorted out OK.

    Cheers

+ Reply to Thread