Signal strength seems low - Network

This is a discussion on Signal strength seems low - Network ; I just purchased a D-Link DI-624 with D-Link DWL-G650 network cards. Using the signal strength meter on the wireless NIC's software utility, I am showing a signal strength of about 50% when I'm 10 feet away from the router which ...

  1. Signal strength seems low

    I just purchased a D-Link DI-624 with D-Link DWL-G650 network cards.
    Using the signal strength meter on the wireless NIC's software utility, I am
    showing a signal strength of about 50% when I'm 10 feet away from the
    router which is in clear line of site. I get the same reading when the
    cabinet door I'm storing the router in is closed. This seems low to
    me. When I'm about 1 foot away, I get about 80%.

    Can I trust the signal strength meter and if so, should I return the
    DI-624 and exchange it? I know the NIC is ok because I get excellent
    signal strength at a friend's house and that is about 15 feet away
    through a wall.

    Thanks in advance for the reply.

  2. Re: Signal strength seems low

    tommynospam@yahoo.com (tommy) wrote in message news:<4f0df91b.0401071922.5b5ab57a@posting.google.com>...
    > I just purchased a D-Link DI-624 with D-Link DWL-G650 network cards.
    > Using the signal strength meter on the wireless NIC's software utility, I am
    > showing a signal strength of about 50% when I'm 10 feet away from the
    > router which is in clear line of site. I get the same reading when the
    > cabinet door I'm storing the router in is closed. This seems low to
    > me. When I'm about 1 foot away, I get about 80%.
    >
    > Can I trust the signal strength meter and if so, should I return the
    > DI-624 and exchange it? I know the NIC is ok because I get excellent
    > signal strength at a friend's house and that is about 15 feet away
    > through a wall.
    >
    > Thanks in advance for the reply.

    What hardware does your friend have and how do they have their LAN set
    up?

    I'm suffering the same problem with my Netgear DG834G 802.11g router
    and a WG511 PCMCIA card. There is about 50 % degredation (in
    bandwidth) after about 15 feet and zero signal when I go downstairs -
    there is no signal passing through the floor. I've contemplated that
    either the router or card could be faulty, but I'm inclined to think
    it could be dodgy software provided with the card on my laptop. It
    does seem to crash a fair bit.

    If your PCMCIA card works fine with your mate's LAN then it would seem
    to suggest that it's your router that has the problem.
    Could you not persuade your friend to set up their router at your
    house for a short while and see if it works there.

  3. Re: Signal strength seems low

    tommynospam@yahoo.com (tommy) wrote in message news:<4f0df91b.0401071922.5b5ab57a@posting.google.com>...
    > I just purchased a D-Link DI-624 with D-Link DWL-G650 network cards.
    > Using the signal strength meter on the wireless NIC's software utility, I am
    > showing a signal strength of about 50% when I'm 10 feet away from the
    > router which is in clear line of site. I get the same reading when the
    > cabinet door I'm storing the router in is closed. This seems low to
    > me. When I'm about 1 foot away, I get about 80%.
    >
    > Can I trust the signal strength meter and if so, should I return the
    > DI-624 and exchange it? I know the NIC is ok because I get excellent
    > signal strength at a friend's house and that is about 15 feet away
    > through a wall.
    >
    > Thanks in advance for the reply.

    Try taking the router out of the cabinet, RF is affected by nearby
    objects even if they are not directly in line of site (its called a
    Fresnel zone). Also, the orientation of the laptop's antenna will
    affect signal strength. (Try rotating the laptop). However, a low
    signal strength does not mean you are taking a hit on performance.
    Use a tool to measure your throughput. If you get 20 to 30% of the
    tranmission rate it is working as fast as it gets. If the dlink
    utility reports a rate less than 54 Mbps, then you are taking a hit.

    Try Qcheck: http://www.ixiacom.com/products/perf...key=pa_q_check

  4. Re: Signal strength seems low

    Well, I think I found the problem because my signal strength from 10
    feet is a constance 70-80%. I looked at my router and noticed that
    the antenna had some "give". Suspecting that, I exchanged it and
    immediately the average jumped a 10 or 20 points.

+ Reply to Thread