I could ping the other PC but I could not browse or connect - Network

This is a discussion on I could ping the other PC but I could not browse or connect - Network ; Hello I have two computers one Dell and the other one is clone.... I just upgraded the dell from 98 to w2k pro both run w2k pro. They connect through a 3COM 8port hub. I was able to ping each ...

  1. I could ping the other PC but I could not browse or connect

    Hello
    I have two computers one Dell and the other one is clone.... I just upgraded
    the dell from 98 to w2k pro
    both run w2k pro. They connect through a 3COM 8port hub.
    I was able to ping each computer from the other using the default IP address
    or the one I assgin.
    The problem is I could not browse or connect to any of the PC.

    when I run ipconfig /all from the command promt I get:
    Dell PC Clone PC
    host name: ws1 main
    prmry DNS : ____ _____
    Node type: broadcast Broadcast
    IP routing : NO NO
    WINS : NO NO
    connect: 3C9053 SIS 900 PCI
    Phy Adr: some hex numbers
    DHCP enble: YES Yes
    autoconfig : YES YES
    autoconfig IP:169.254.199.149 169.254.212.110
    subnet :255.255.0.0 255.255.0.0
    def. gate : blank
    DNS serv: blank

    I have the following installed:
    Client for MS networks
    file and printer sharing for MS networks
    TCP/IP
    also I did add the NetBEUI just in case

    I am realy getting sick of this problem
    any Help is very much apprecaited
    thanks
    wayne

  2. Re: I could ping the other PC but I could not browse or connect

    "wanes paulus" wrote in message news:...
    > Hello
    > I have two computers one Dell and the other one is clone.... I just upgraded
    > the dell from 98 to w2k pro
    > both run w2k pro. They connect through a 3COM 8port hub.
    > I was able to ping each computer from the other using the default IP address
    > or the one I assgin.
    > The problem is I could not browse or connect to any of the PC.
    >
    > when I run ipconfig /all from the command promt I get:
    > Dell PC Clone PC
    > host name: ws1 main
    > prmry DNS : ____ _____
    > Node type: broadcast Broadcast
    > IP routing : NO NO
    > WINS : NO NO
    > connect: 3C9053 SIS 900 PCI
    > Phy Adr: some hex numbers
    > DHCP enble: YES Yes
    > autoconfig : YES YES
    > autoconfig IP:169.254.199.149 169.254.212.110
    > subnet :255.255.0.0 255.255.0.0
    > def. gate : blank
    > DNS serv: blank
    >
    > I have the following installed:
    > Client for MS networks
    > file and printer sharing for MS networks
    > TCP/IP
    > also I did add the NetBEUI just in case
    >
    > I am realy getting sick of this problem
    > any Help is very much apprecaited
    > thanks
    > wayne

    First of all check boththe pc should be in same workgroup
    and then check for firewall install in it . if yes remove.

    then click on start and clik on run and type "\\IPADDRESS" and hit enter
    it should show the other pc .
    do the same thing from other pc and
    hit back button or back button on key board

    once it comes to your network neigbor hood it will never go.

    check thisout ant tell me

  3. Re: I could ping the other PC but I could not browse or connect

    Try to turn off access control.

    > Hello
    > I have two computers one Dell and the other one is clone.... I just

    upgraded
    > the dell from 98 to w2k pro
    > both run w2k pro. They connect through a 3COM 8port hub.
    > I was able to ping each computer from the other using the default IP

    address
    > or the one I assgin.
    > The problem is I could not browse or connect to any of the PC.
    >
    > when I run ipconfig /all from the command promt I get:
    > Dell PC Clone PC
    > host name: ws1 main
    > prmry DNS : ____ _____
    > Node type: broadcast Broadcast
    > IP routing : NO NO
    > WINS : NO NO
    > connect: 3C9053 SIS 900 PCI
    > Phy Adr: some hex numbers
    > DHCP enble: YES Yes
    > autoconfig : YES YES
    > autoconfig IP:169.254.199.149 169.254.212.110
    > subnet :255.255.0.0 255.255.0.0
    > def. gate : blank
    > DNS serv: blank
    >
    > I have the following installed:
    > Client for MS networks
    > file and printer sharing for MS networks
    > TCP/IP
    > also I did add the NetBEUI just in case
    >
    > I am realy getting sick of this problem
    > any Help is very much apprecaited