Problems with Wireless Network Seeing other Computers - Network

This is a discussion on Problems with Wireless Network Seeing other Computers - Network ; HI - Today I installed my D-Link Wireless networking system. I followed the directions installed all softwear first, and then put the wireless cards in each computer. Both computers now share one internet connection. Both computers have windows xp home. ...

  1. Problems with Wireless Network Seeing other Computers

    HI -

    Today I installed my D-Link Wireless networking system. I followed the
    directions installed all softwear first, and then put the wireless
    cards in each computer. Both computers now share one internet
    connection. Both computers have windows xp home. One is a 700 mhz
    pentium with 256 meg of ram and a 20 gig hd. The other is a 2.5 ghz
    Pentium with 1.5 gig of ram and an 80 gig hd. They are sharing the
    internet connection great, but not seeing each other. The one I'm on
    now the 2.5 ghz can see itself...but not the other computer. I went
    through the networking wizzard and follwed all steps..and made a
    networking disk from this computer and ran the set up through the one
    in the living room that I want to network. I then specified all
    folders I want shared on each computer. But they won't see each other.
    Am I missing a step somewhere? Or is this just not going to work for
    some odd reason? All help would be appreciated! Thanks!

    Mel

  2. Re: Problems with Wireless Network Seeing other Computers

    "Mel" wrote in message
    news:88619e05.0401061737.41ca7751@posting.google.c om...
    > HI -
    >
    > Today I installed my D-Link Wireless networking system. I followed the
    > directions installed all softwear first, and then put the wireless
    > cards in each computer. Both computers now share one internet
    > connection. Both computers have windows xp home. One is a 700 mhz
    > pentium with 256 meg of ram and a 20 gig hd. The other is a 2.5 ghz
    > Pentium with 1.5 gig of ram and an 80 gig hd. They are sharing the
    > internet connection great, but not seeing each other. The one I'm on
    > now the 2.5 ghz can see itself...but not the other computer. I went
    > through the networking wizzard and follwed all steps..and made a
    > networking disk from this computer and ran the set up through the one
    > in the living room that I want to network. I then specified all
    > folders I want shared on each computer. But they won't see each other.
    > Am I missing a step somewhere? Or is this just not going to work for
    > some odd reason? All help would be appreciated! Thanks!
    >
    > Mel

    mel,

    Checked that you have allowed each PC to pass through firewall. If running
    ZA, you have to add IP addresses of the other PC in trusted zone. HTH.

    Tom Buchanan

  3. Re: Problems with Wireless Network Seeing other Computers

    Hi Tom -

    Thanks for the reply. I don't have the firewall hooked up, unless
    there is one automatically built into the softwear for the wireless
    system. How would I go about finding the IP addresses of both PC's and
    put it in the trusted zone. Where would the trusted zone be?

    On the computer in the living room when I try to see all the computers
    on the network, it says I don't have permissions to do so. How would
    I go about setting the permission? Also the one in my room doesn't
    give any kind of a warning of any kind. It just sees itself. I did
    just run a windows update so hopefully maybe that will help?

    I've never set up a network before so I've done as much as I know how
    to do, so all help is much appreciated.

    Mel

    "Tom Buchanan" wrote in message news:...
    > "Mel" wrote in message
    > news:88619e05.0401061737.41ca7751@posting.google.c om...
    > > HI -
    > >
    > > Today I installed my D-Link Wireless networking system. I followed the
    > > directions installed all softwear first, and then put the wireless
    > > cards in each computer. Both computers now share one internet
    > > connection. Both computers have windows xp home. One is a 700 mhz
    > > pentium with 256 meg of ram and a 20 gig hd. The other is a 2.5 ghz
    > > Pentium with 1.5 gig of ram and an 80 gig hd. They are sharing the
    > > internet connection great, but not seeing each other. The one I'm on
    > > now the 2.5 ghz can see itself...but not the other computer. I went
    > > through the networking wizzard and follwed all steps..and made a
    > > networking disk from this computer and ran the set up through the one
    > > in the living room that I want to network. I then specified all
    > > folders I want shared on each computer. But they won't see each other.
    > > Am I missing a step somewhere? Or is this just not going to work for
    > > some odd reason? All help would be appreciated! Thanks!
    > >
    > > Mel

    > mel,
    >
    > Checked that you have allowed each PC to pass through firewall. If running
    > ZA, you have to add IP addresses of the other PC in trusted zone. HTH.
    >
    > Tom Buchanan

  4. Re: Problems with Wireless Network Seeing other Computers

    Don"t use the internet connection sharing software on win. xp, e,g the
    network wizard, if you are using a wired ,or wireless router, disable any
    software firewall.
    "Mel" wrote in message
    news:88619e05.0401061737.41ca7751@posting.google.c om...
    > HI -
    >
    > Today I installed my D-Link Wireless networking system. I followed the
    > directions installed all softwear first, and then put the wireless
    > cards in each computer. Both computers now share one internet
    > connection. Both computers have windows xp home. One is a 700 mhz
    > pentium with 256 meg of ram and a 20 gig hd. The other is a 2.5 ghz
    > Pentium with 1.5 gig of ram and an 80 gig hd. They are sharing the
    > internet connection great, but not seeing each other. The one I'm on
    > now the 2.5 ghz can see itself...but not the other computer. I went
    > through the networking wizzard and follwed all steps..and made a
    > networking disk from this computer and ran the set up through the one
    > in the living room that I want to network. I then specified all
    > folders I want shared on each computer. But they won't see each other.
    > Am I missing a step somewhere? Or is this just not going to work for
    > some odd reason? All help would be appreciated! Thanks!
    >
    > Mel

  5. Re: Problems with Wireless Network Seeing other Computers

    melzy@tds.net (Mel) wrote in message news:<88619e05.0401061737.41ca7751@posting.google.com>...
    > HI -
    >
    > Today I installed my D-Link Wireless networking system. I followed the
    > directions installed all softwear first, and then put the wireless
    > cards in each computer. Both computers now share one internet
    > connection. Both computers have windows xp home. One is a 700 mhz
    > pentium with 256 meg of ram and a 20 gig hd. The other is a 2.5 ghz
    > Pentium with 1.5 gig of ram and an 80 gig hd. They are sharing the
    > internet connection great, but not seeing each other. The one I'm on
    > now the 2.5 ghz can see itself...but not the other computer. I went
    > through the networking wizzard and follwed all steps..and made a
    > networking disk from this computer and ran the set up through the one
    > in the living room that I want to network. I then specified all
    > folders I want shared on each computer. But they won't see each other.
    > Am I missing a step somewhere? Or is this just not going to work for
    > some odd reason? All help would be appreciated! Thanks!
    >
    > Mel

    Have you enabled file and printer sharing, if so are you sharing any
    resources and or files. You may also want to check to see if machines
    are on the same network ie: MSHOME or WORKGROUP. To do this in XP or
    2000 right click my computer, properties, Network Identification. To
    check for firewall interferrence ping the other machines IP address.

+ Reply to Thread