LAN design query - Network

This is a discussion on LAN design query - Network ; Hello, am wondering if anyone could help?Need a lan design and info for a case study. Must design a network for NHS. There will be 8 hospital and 3 subnets per hospital. 1 subnet for clinical, 1 for admin and ...

  1. LAN design query

    Hello, am wondering if anyone could help?Need a lan design and info
    for a case study. Must design a network for NHS. There will be 8
    hospital and 3 subnets per hospital. 1 subnet for clinical, 1 for
    admin and 1 for imaging. each of the 3 segments need a print server,
    workgroup server and 12 hosts. There will be a router connecting the 3
    subnets and finally to a WAN connection. My uncertainty is how to
    design each segment i.e topology, how many hosts, server should be
    attached to a switch etc.
    Any help would be appreciated
    Thanks

    Alistair Russell

  2. Re: LAN design query

    allyrussell77@hotmail.com (Ally) wrote in message news:...
    > Hello, am wondering if anyone could help?Need a lan design and info
    > for a case study. Must design a network for NHS. There will be 8
    > hospital and 3 subnets per hospital. 1 subnet for clinical, 1 for
    > admin and 1 for imaging. each of the 3 segments need a print server,
    > workgroup server and 12 hosts. There will be a router connecting the 3
    > subnets and finally to a WAN connection. My uncertainty is how to
    > design each segment i.e topology, how many hosts, server should be
    > attached to a switch etc. Any help would be appreciated

    Topology: put switches in the geographic center. That will make the
    cable runs uniform. Doesn't really matter as long as cabling distance
    is less than 100 meters. It usually ends up being in a wiring closet.

    The number of hosts depend on your traffic and what your users will be
    doing. The throughput on an Ethernet network is only about 30% of the
    transmission rate. For office-type stuff (Word Processing, etc.) each
    server can support about 100 users. For a medical LAN, if they are
    moving large image files around, then fewer users can be supported.
    The 'standard' approach is to connect all the servers to a redundant
    pair of switches.

+ Reply to Thread