setting up a network? - Network

This is a discussion on setting up a network? - Network ; I have an office with 12 computers in it. We are all running XP Pro. We access files and save to a central computer in our office via basic windows file sharing. I want to set up a server network ...

  1. setting up a network?

    I have an office with 12 computers in it. We are all running XP Pro.
    We access files and save to a central computer in our office via basic
    windows file sharing. I want to set up a server network and have
    everyone set up in a uniform environment. I also want to be able to
    let multiple users log in to the server at the same time from home.
    This is helpful when working on projects that have multiple users
    developing them. is this possible? what type of software can I use to
    allow multiple users to access the server at once? all help is
    appreciated. Thank you in advance!

  2. Re: setting up a network?

    Yes it is possible using windows 2000 server all you have to do is enable
    terminal services on your server
    it will give you a 90 day trial period then you will have to by how ever
    many seats you need from Microsoft
    and the nice thing about it is you can have all 12 of your people logging in
    from outside at the same time and
    still have there same profiles as if they where sitting at there desk...

    "dexter" wrote in message
    news:39b651df.0401051710.55188091@posting.google.c om...
    > I have an office with 12 computers in it. We are all running XP Pro.
    > We access files and save to a central computer in our office via basic
    > windows file sharing. I want to set up a server network and have
    > everyone set up in a uniform environment. I also want to be able to
    > let multiple users log in to the server at the same time from home.
    > This is helpful when working on projects that have multiple users
    > developing them. is this possible? what type of software can I use to
    > allow multiple users to access the server at once? all help is
    > appreciated. Thank you in advance!

  3. Re: setting up a network?

    Thanks for the help...I actually did a little research and found out
    that my Netopia Router can use used with a VPN for up to 100 users. It
    seems alot cheaper than buying the TS licenses from
    Microsoft....Thanks again

    "Z’RiX" wrote in message news:<21qKb.138507$VB2.513176@attbi_s51>...
    > Yes it is possible using windows 2000 server all you have to do is enable
    > terminal services on your server
    > it will give you a 90 day trial period then you will have to by how ever
    > many seats you need from Microsoft
    > and the nice thing about it is you can have all 12 of your people logging in
    > from outside at the same time and
    > still have there same profiles as if they where sitting at there desk...
    >

    > "dexter" wrote in message
    > news:39b651df.0401051710.55188091@posting.google.c om...
    > > I have an office with 12 computers in it. We are all running XP Pro.
    > > We access files and save to a central computer in our office via basic
    > > windows file sharing. I want to set up a server network and have
    > > everyone set up in a uniform environment. I also want to be able to
    > > let multiple users log in to the server at the same time from home.
    > > This is helpful when working on projects that have multiple users
    > > developing them. is this possible? what type of software can I use to
    > > allow multiple users to access the server at once? all help is
    > > appreciated. Thank you in advance!

  4. Re: setting up a network?

    "dexter" wrote in message
    news:39b651df.0401051710.55188091@posting.google.c om...
    > I have an office with 12 computers in it. We are all running XP Pro.
    > We access files and save to a central computer in our office via basic
    > windows file sharing. I want to set up a server network and have
    > everyone set up in a uniform environment. I also want to be able to
    > let multiple users log in to the server at the same time from home.
    > This is helpful when working on projects that have multiple users
    > developing them. is this possible? what type of software can I use to
    > allow multiple users to access the server at once? all help is
    > appreciated. Thank you in advance!

    I would suggest you take a good look at everything Microsoft Small Business
    Server SBS 2003 has to offer. It includes Share Point Server, ISA, Exchange
    and more along with several TS licensses.

    Good luck

    Jim

    --
    Better Products and Better Prices