Subject: Overloading Cable mode router with lots of connections ?
Original Format
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.networking
Date: 2001-12-01 21:22:26 PST

I believe I already know part of the answer, but just like to confirm
the problem and hopefully get some suggestions. I'll try to keep it
brief and to the point.

Basically, using a peer to peer program called eDonkey, which allow
you to pull a common file from multiple people at the same time. In
theory, if 100 people had a file that you wanted, you could pull from
all 100 people at the same time. Unlike program like Napster or
Morpheus, which is 1 person 1 file.

The problem I am seeing on 2 different style of routers (Both by
Linksys though) is that the performance is horrible, especially, if
the file in question as say 100 people (which translates to 100
connections). If I disconnect from the router, and go straight, the
download speeds will go from peaking at 20-25 KB/s to 250 KB/s

I'm guessing that all the NATing and such, is overloading the router
and that it simple can't handle the it. If this is correct, then what
"SOHO" style router would I need to be able to keep up with say
300-400 connections. Anything under $400, with a wireless option as
well ?

Thanks

Dale