ping question - Network

This is a discussion on ping question - Network ; I have an irritating little problem with my network that I have been unable to resolve. Any help figuring this out would be appreciated. I have the following network topology in place: Cable modem 3Com wireless router/switch printer PC running ...

  1. ping question

    I have an irritating little problem with my network that I have been
    unable to resolve. Any help figuring this out would be appreciated.

    I have the following network topology in place:

    Cable modem <=> 3Com wireless router/switch <=> printer
    <=> PC running Win2k Pro
    <=> PC running Win XP Home

    All connections are wired Ethernet 10BaseT
    Protocols are TCP/IP and NetBEUI
    Windows XP firewall is turned OFF
    IP addresses are: 192.168.1.209 (Win2k)
    192.168.1.56 ( Win X:P)
    162.168.1.237 (printer)
    192.168.1.1 (router/default gateway)
    as assigned by DHCP.

    I can access the Internet and print from either machine.
    Each machine is visible on the network from the other and I can browse
    files on either machine from the other.
    I can ping the printer and the router from either machine.

    PROBLEM

    I cannot ping either PC from the other machine. All I get is a timed
    out error.

    What did I do wrong?

    Thanks.

  2. Re: ping question

    Frank Gannon wrote in message news:...
    > I have an irritating little problem with my network that I have been
    > unable to resolve. Any help figuring this out would be appreciated.
    >
    > I have the following network topology in place:
    >
    > Cable modem <=> 3Com wireless router/switch <=> printer
    > <=> PC running Win2k Pro
    > <=> PC running Win XP Home
    >
    > All connections are wired Ethernet 10BaseT
    > Protocols are TCP/IP and NetBEUI
    > Windows XP firewall is turned OFF
    > IP addresses are: 192.168.1.209 (Win2k)
    > 192.168.1.56 ( Win X:P)
    > 162.168.1.237 (printer)
    > 192.168.1.1 (router/default gateway)
    > as assigned by DHCP.
    >

    > I can access the Internet and print from either machine.
    > Each machine is visible on the network from the other and I can browse
    > files on either machine from the other.
    > I can ping the printer and the router from either machine.
    >
    > PROBLEM
    >
    > I cannot ping either PC from the other machine. All I get is a timed
    > out error.
    >
    > What did I do wrong?
    >
    > Thanks.

    welp, if you can acess the net and print, hell who needs to ping?

  3. Re: ping question

    jleblanc@caths.co.uk (money mark) wrote in message news:<25dae494.0401070930.d59342a@posting.google.com>...
    > Frank Gannon wrote in message news:...
    > > I have an irritating little problem with my network that I have been
    > > unable to resolve. Any help figuring this out would be appreciated.
    > >
    > > I have the following network topology in place:
    > >
    > > Cable modem <=> 3Com wireless router/switch <=> printer
    > > <=> PC running Win2k Pro
    > > <=> PC running Win XP Home
    > >
    > > All connections are wired Ethernet 10BaseT
    > > Protocols are TCP/IP and NetBEUI
    > > Windows XP firewall is turned OFF
    > > IP addresses are: 192.168.1.209 (Win2k)
    > > 192.168.1.56 ( Win X:P)
    > > 162.168.1.237 (printer)
    > > 192.168.1.1 (router/default gateway)
    > > as assigned by DHCP.
    > >

    > > I can access the Internet and print from either machine.
    > > Each machine is visible on the network from the other and I can browse
    > > files on either machine from the other.
    > > I can ping the printer and the router from either machine.
    > >
    > > PROBLEM
    > >
    > > I cannot ping either PC from the other machine. All I get is a timed
    > > out error.
    > >
    > > What did I do wrong?
    > >
    > > Thanks.

    > welp, if you can acess the net and print, hell who needs to ping?

    Hope personal firewall on any of the pc is enabled . pls disable and check .

  4. Re: ping question

    naveensarathi@indiatimes.com (Naveen) wrote in message news:<6197a3f5.0401071643.7c6ccd3c@posting.google.com>...
    > jleblanc@caths.co.uk (money mark) wrote in message news:<25dae494.0401070930.d59342a@posting.google.com>...
    > > Frank Gannon wrote in message news:...
    > > > I have an irritating little problem with my network that I have been
    > > > unable to resolve. Any help figuring this out would be appreciated.
    > > >
    > > > I have the following network topology in place:
    > > >
    > > > Cable modem <=> 3Com wireless router/switch <=> printer
    > > > <=> PC running Win2k Pro
    > > > <=> PC running Win XP Home
    > > >
    > > > All connections are wired Ethernet 10BaseT
    > > > Protocols are TCP/IP and NetBEUI
    > > > Windows XP firewall is turned OFF
    > > > IP addresses are: 192.168.1.209 (Win2k)
    > > > 192.168.1.56 ( Win X:P)
    > > > 162.168.1.237 (printer)
    > > > 192.168.1.1 (router/default gateway)
    > > > as assigned by DHCP.
    > > >

    > > > I can access the Internet and print from either machine.
    > > > Each machine is visible on the network from the other and I can browse
    > > > files on either machine from the other.
    > > > I can ping the printer and the router from either machine.
    > > >
    > > > PROBLEM
    > > >
    > > > I cannot ping either PC from the other machine. All I get is a timed
    > > > out error.
    > > >
    > > > What did I do wrong?
    > > >
    > > > Thanks.

    > > welp, if you can acess the net and print, hell who needs to ping?

    > Hope personal firewall on any of the pc is enabled . pls disable and check .

    Have you tried running an arp entry to see if if the packets are reaching?

+ Reply to Thread