DSL Modem question - Network

This is a discussion on DSL Modem question - Network ; I have Verizon DSL, a Westell DSL Modem and a Microsoft Wireless B router upstairs in my house. I service computer downstairs in my basement using a matching Microsoft USB adapter. It works fine but it takes time to load ...

  1. DSL Modem question

    I have Verizon DSL, a Westell DSL Modem and a Microsoft Wireless B router
    upstairs in my house. I service computer downstairs in my basement using a
    matching Microsoft USB adapter. It works fine but it takes time to load the
    software each and every time I'm servicing a computer especially with
    Windows 98/ME since they require alot of additional software upgrades to
    support the wireless network.

    I have a couple brand new DSL modems that I'm not using. If I connect one of
    these to the same phone line in my basement, will it work along with my
    existing network ? I also wonder whether I would have to "log on" to my
    Verizon account with this second modem since the upstairs modem is always
    logged in.

    I'd like to be able to plug in for instant connection to my network in my
    basement shop without running wires through the floor.

    Thanks in advance
    Glenn

  2. Re: DSL Modem question

    On Mon, 05 Jan 2004 01:21:57 GMT, "Glenn Watkins"
    wrote:

    >I have Verizon DSL, a Westell DSL Modem and a Microsoft Wireless B router
    >upstairs in my house. I service computer downstairs in my basement using a
    >matching Microsoft USB adapter. It works fine but it takes time to load the
    >software each and every time I'm servicing a computer especially with
    >Windows 98/ME since they require alot of additional software upgrades to
    >support the wireless network.
    >
    >I have a couple brand new DSL modems that I'm not using. If I connect one of
    >these to the same phone line in my basement, will it work along with my
    >existing network ? I also wonder whether I would have to "log on" to my
    >Verizon account with this second modem since the upstairs modem is always
    >logged in.
    >
    >I'd like to be able to plug in for instant connection to my network in my
    >basement shop without running wires through the floor.
    >
    >Thanks in advance
    >Glenn

    No. Only 1 modem can be used on one line at a time. Your best answer
    would be to run a CAT5 cable from a network card in your main machine
    with a server program like Winroute pro, which works on any windows
    OS. Put a hub or switch downstairs so that you can connect as many
    machines as you need ,enable DHCP on the server and just drop a card
    into the machine that you are servicing.
    I use this system in my shop and do not have to set up anything except
    network connection wizard, and possibly a proxy server for some sites.

    Taff...........

    www.sounds-pa.com | www.thecomputerworkshop.com

  3. Re: DSL Modem question

    My upstairs Microsoft Wireless BaseStation (MN500) also has a built-in 4
    port switch, so I might as well use one of the free ports and drop a
    line through my floor.

    I was hoping not to do this but it looks like it's my only solution.

    Thanks,
    Glenn

    taff wrote:
    > On Mon, 05 Jan 2004 01:21:57 GMT, "Glenn Watkins"
    > wrote:
    >

    >>I have Verizon DSL, a Westell DSL Modem and a Microsoft Wireless B router
    >>upstairs in my house. I service computer downstairs in my basement using a
    >>matching Microsoft USB adapter. It works fine but it takes time to load the
    >>software each and every time I'm servicing a computer especially with
    >>Windows 98/ME since they require alot of additional software upgrades to
    >>support the wireless network.
    >>
    >>I have a couple brand new DSL modems that I'm not using. If I connect one of
    >>these to the same phone line in my basement, will it work along with my
    >>existing network ? I also wonder whether I would have to "log on" to my
    >>Verizon account with this second modem since the upstairs modem is always
    >>logged in.
    >>
    >>I'd like to be able to plug in for instant connection to my network in my
    >>basement shop without running wires through the floor.
    >>
    >>Thanks in advance
    >>Glenn
    >>

    > No. Only 1 modem can be used on one line at a time. Your best answer
    > would be to run a CAT5 cable from a network card in your main machine
    > with a server program like Winroute pro, which works on any windows
    > OS. Put a hub or switch downstairs so that you can connect as many
    > machines as you need ,enable DHCP on the server and just drop a card
    > into the machine that you are servicing.
    > I use this system in my shop and do not have to set up anything except
    > network connection wizard, and possibly a proxy server for some sites.
    >
    > Taff...........
    >

    > www.sounds-pa.com | www.thecomputerworkshop.com

  4. Re: DSL Modem question

    "Glenn Watkins" wrote in message
    newsq3Kb.1227$%L6.1083@nwrdny01.gnilink.net...
    > My upstairs Microsoft Wireless BaseStation (MN500) also has a built-in 4
    > port switch, so I might as well use one of the free ports and drop a
    > line through my floor.
    >
    > I was hoping not to do this but it looks like it's my only solution.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Glenn

    Have you tried a phoneline network? Instead of running a new CAT5, you
    could utilize your existing phone wiring. You'd need a HPNA (Home Phone
    Networking Alliance) adapter at your switch upstairs then plug the output
    into your phone jack (use a splitter if the jack in that room is already
    used, the phoneline network won't interfere with the phone service). An
    example of this equipment is the Linksys HPB200. Then you'll need an adapter
    in the basement, like the Linksys USB200HA to connect from the phoneline to
    a PC.
    Take a look at http://www.linksys.com/products/grou...rid=34&scid=33 to
    see other potential phonline and powerline networking solutions. I'd
    recommend you use a router in your network.

+ Reply to Thread