Wireless problem with Cisco Aironet Access point 340 - Network

This is a discussion on Wireless problem with Cisco Aironet Access point 340 - Network ; Hi, here is my situation: 1. I plug my Cisco 340 access point into my cable modem and power off both of them 2. I restart the access point and router 3. The access point is able to get an ...

  1. Wireless problem with Cisco Aironet Access point 340

    Hi,

    here is my situation:

    1. I plug my Cisco 340 access point into my cable modem and power off
    both of them
    2. I restart the access point and router
    3. The access point is able to get an IP address, gateway, and DNS
    server from my ISP( I can see this through hyper terminal)

    4. The access point shows that my wiress enabled laptop has connected
    to it. ( I can see this through hyper terminal)

    5. My laptop shows an active wireless connection - I verify the SSID
    as that of the access point

    6. The laptop has an IP address assigned, I am assuming assigned by
    the access point, with no gateway or DNS information. Therefore I am
    unable to browse or connect to the internet

    help!

  2. Re: Wireless problem with Cisco Aironet Access point 340

    mapexvenus2002@yahoo.com (mapexvenus) wrote in message news:<68838fa1.0401032147.52039571@posting.google.com>...
    > Hi,
    >
    > here is my situation:
    >
    > 1. I plug my Cisco 340 access point into my cable modem and power off
    > both of them
    > 2. I restart the access point and router
    > 3. The access point is able to get an IP address, gateway, and DNS
    > server from my ISP( I can see this through hyper terminal)
    >
    > 4. The access point shows that my wiress enabled laptop has connected
    > to it. ( I can see this through hyper terminal)
    >
    > 5. My laptop shows an active wireless connection - I verify the SSID
    > as that of the access point
    >
    > 6. The laptop has an IP address assigned, I am assuming assigned by
    > the access point, with no gateway or DNS information. Therefore I am
    > unable to browse or connect to the internet
    >
    > help!

    You need to route traffic. The 340 AP is not a router as far as I
    know. Linksys and D-link and other make Router+Access Point combos
    thats why these work and the Cisco 340 does not.

  3. Re: Wireless problem with Cisco Aironet Access point 340

    schramcj@notes.udayton.edu (chris) wrote in message news:...
    > mapexvenus2002@yahoo.com (mapexvenus) wrote in message news:<68838fa1.0401032147.52039571@posting.google.com>...
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > here is my situation:
    > >
    > > 1. I plug my Cisco 340 access point into my cable modem and power off
    > > both of them
    > > 2. I restart the access point and router
    > > 3. The access point is able to get an IP address, gateway, and DNS
    > > server from my ISP( I can see this through hyper terminal)
    > >
    > > 4. The access point shows that my wiress enabled laptop has connected
    > > to it. ( I can see this through hyper terminal)
    > >
    > > 5. My laptop shows an active wireless connection - I verify the SSID
    > > as that of the access point
    > >
    > > 6. The laptop has an IP address assigned, I am assuming assigned by
    > > the access point, with no gateway or DNS information. Therefore I am
    > > unable to browse or connect to the internet
    > >
    > > help!

    > You need to route traffic. The 340 AP is not a router as far as I
    > know. Linksys and D-link and other make Router+Access Point combos
    > thats why these work and the Cisco 340 does not.

    It's been a while, but I seem to remember that you can both forward
    dhcp requests through your AP-340 (which you prolly don't want to do),
    or setup the 340 to hand out dhcp options like gateway, DNS, etc.
    Fairly easy to do, either via the console port or http.

+ Reply to Thread